2007 Departures - Horses In Training

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the kind comments on here, FF & TRF. I have to admit I've spent most of the day crying like a baby but everyone's been lovely.

Originally posted by Kathy@Sep 3 2007, 04:52 PM
Courtesy of The Racing Post

Connections retire Rebel after freak incident on gallops
by Tony Elves

Trainer Geoff Huffer said: “Cockney Rebel was cantering this morning and spooked at a piece of paper and hit his near fore leg with his hind leg as he finished his canter, when he went back to the stables there was a slight swelling on his near fore.

:laughing:

------------------------------------------

And sorry to all connections involved with Khalua Bear.

Jazil - 2006 Belmont winner (and half-brother to 2007 winner Rags To Riches) has been retired.

Not surprised but disappointed. Was waiting for her all year.

Peeping Fawn kind of stepped into her shoes but she should be a lovely brood mare.

Lawman has been retired. From http://www.the-racehorse.com/racing/news/l...ballylinch_stud

Second crop sire Invincible Spirit's leading son Lawman (Invincible Spirit - Laramie, by Gulch), winner of this year’s Prix du Jockey Club Mitsubishi Motors and Prix Jean Prat has been retired to Ballylinch Stud where he will stand in 2008 for a fee yet to be announced.
Lawman came out of his last start in the Prix du Haras de Fresnay Jacques le Marois with an infection.
“He is now fully recovered but his trainer, Jean Marie Beguigne, feels that there is not enough time to have him back to peak form for autumn targets of the Irish Champion Stakes and the Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe,” Ballylinch said.
Lawman is a half brother to Prix de Diane winner Latice and to French Group Three winner Satri.

What an inspirational, genuine and talented horse. A real equine hero for me that deserves a very long and happy retirement.

Happy retirement to the horse. Glad to see he's being retired when in his best interests. Good to see some appreciative connections and we need more horses like this fellow!!
I always remember Dean McKeown's reaction when the horse finished 2nd in the 06 Dubai Sheema Classic, he was overjoyed and just couldn't stop patting the horse. Really struck a chord with me, especially watching how hard Collier Hill tried throughout that race, the effort had been recognised and rewarded.

Thrilled he's being retired not far off the top of his game - well, on top in fact, I se he won his last three! He's a legend, and would be much higher profile if all his wins had been here rather than as a globetrotter

I backed a half-brother of his at Newbury at 50-1 for a place last March because I really liked him in the paddock - he was 1st time out - and came 3rd in a novice hurdle. and will look out for that one again. He's called The Big Orse, and he"s the only other one of Polar Queen's progeny to have run in the Uk so faqr as I can see. She's also had a son who's a winner in Slovakia, and from what little I can find she's had at least two others, one unraced, and one still a 2 yr old

Looked to me as it Pipes horse in the first in Bangor died, certainly was a horrible fall just as I switched channels, was it Keycavern or did I mix colours up?

That would be really sad, as she is/was a talented mare and had a future both over hurdles and at stud. It sounds as though her keenness has done for her

Btw Harlech Castle is off for a while with a bone chip in his leg - luckily not a fracture like his half-brother Tredegar, as first feared. Tredegar is coming on well and is on the horsewalker now. Both are half brothers to Eisteddfod who won yesterday [out of Ffestiniog who is at Kirtlington Stud]

Linda Perratt's Ptarmigan Ridge, accident during a racecourse gallop at the weekend, details on the RP website right now. Buried at his owner-breeder's place; especially sad as he was an entire and was due to stand at stud possibly after this season.

Confirmed:

Keycavern
chased leader, jumped left 2nd, led after 5th, ridden and headed after 3 out, 4 lengths 2nd and beaten when fell 2 out, dead

Originally posted by Headstrong@Sep 17 2007, 10:47 PM
Linda Perratt's Ptarmigan Ridge, accident during a racecourse gallop at the weekend, details on the RP website right now. Buried at his owner-breeder's place; especially sad as he was an entire and was due to stand at stud possibly after this season.
Sad to hear of the demise of Ptarmigan Ridge, but I'm not sure what sort of career he might have had at stud. An interesting footnote (apart from that the veteran had been entered in five races in the next few days) is that his owner, Heather Galbraith was responsible for one of the most bizarre comebacks of racing history when turning out Harry Hastings to run in a Hunter Chase at Ayr almost eight years to the day after his previous run under rules ~ when winning the Supreme Novices Hurdle at the Cheltenham Festival!

That's a hell of a lay off Rory. Is there still hope for Monsignor?

Admirable training performance most definitely - there was one in the US recently running for the first time in 7 or so years I think - only a claimer but still a fair lay off.

Not sure if it counts but Skadrak one of Peter Chapple-Hyam's most promising 2yos has suffered a serious injury and will not be back until next season, if back at all.

Don't think it's been mentioned here but read on another forum that Gee Aker Malayo was killed at Stratford 2 weeks ago :(

Very sad about Skadrak, was a horse with a future, now alas that is behind him...

Roy, lots of sprinters have been entered in several races over the weekend - Ayr Gold and Silver Cups, and in case they don't make the cut for either, any other spring race so as to use the edge they've been trained to! Both Ayr sprints have huge entries, getting on for 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back