2007 Departures - Horses In Training

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if we will see the green monkey go off to stud soon?

I wonder what his stud fee will be?

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@Oct 31 2007, 09:43 AM
And it looks like Scorpion's injury will see him retired also.
I will miss my favourite boy. :luv:
Hope he has a long, and healthy retirement.

The last to retire from that Breeders Cup Turf. He's had a hell of a run in the last couple of years, going: 1121111222 in almost exclusively G1 and G2 company. Just a shame he's a gelding really.

The gelding was somewhat of a fan favorite in recent years. Had recent surgery on a fracture and it is hoped he will be fine. Has won over $3,600,000 in prize money.

TheTinManShoemakerBen.jpg

I'm pretty sure Diego Cao is no more. The screens were up for a long time, 3 horse ambulances were in attendance before one moved a short distance away and parked up whilst the other 2 came back to the winning line. I didn't see a horse come back at all - I assume he was in the ambulance that parked up in the middle of the course, ready to move later.

Bowen's broke down in the second last race but looked quite comfortable and walked up into the trailer quite happily. He didn't look too bad and was walking about on it, albeit lame.

I was quite surprised at how easily two slipped up in the handicap hurdle as well - Cloone River [on the flat] and Tessanoora [after making a small mistake jumping]. Both horses were fine but the ground looked pretty slippery.

They did tell us on the BBC that Diego Cao had to be put down after a crashing fall - commiserations to all at the Gifford yard

Clare Balding reported before racing* that those who had walked the course described it as slippery.
Had it rained? - or did they water??

PS In fact they'd had one race when they came on air, so she was reporting what the jocks said

I am not aware of them having watered but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they had done. I'm pretty certain it hasn't rained since last Sunday either! It definitely hasn't rained over the last few days.

Quick question really. How short is the grass on this new jumps course at Ascot?

Not been as yet (hope to correct that in the future) but it looks like one of those turf tracks in Japan, short grass, large fields etc.

Didn't get that close to the track tbh but it looked pretty long to me from where I was all afternoon.

After that race I was pretty sure they'd been messing around with the hosepipes, regardless of what they might claim.

Perhaps I'm getting over sentimental in my dotage, but his death really did take the edge off my elation at backing the winner (not aftertiming, trust me).

I was also quite surprised that there wasn't some kind of enquiry or inspection of the track held after the race in question either, Ven.

Yes but that's Wales - it's got it's own microclimate!! :P

Can't say that I noticed an especially heavy dew here!

1235 start - the race in which the conditions seemed most slippery was the 1340.

In the bar - I wish!!!! :D

Thanks Dom - I'm doing my best to think outside of the normal reasons for horses seemingly slipping up for no apparent reason - it seems to happen a fair bit in Ireland on bends in the Bumpers and Maiden Hurdles but two in one race at Ascot seems a bit too much

Tessanoora sprawled after getting a bump jumping the 2nd last and Cloone River may have clipped heels so I'm not sure that it was that slippy, despite having the same initial reaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back