2008 Arc

The ground is still reported as "Good" with the clerk of the course saying it would take more than 10mls to ease it.

Translation: it's somewhere between Heavy and Firm.

Forecast update Longchamp?

More rain overnight, but I don't know how much. I found a website that said we had 2mm in the last 24 hours. As for now, blue skies and really cold, the same as yesterday morning really, so it'll probably rain again this afternoon.

In this morning's Paris Turf, the clerk says abvoiding catastrophies it won't be worse than good to soft on Sunday as the cold weather is stabilising the ground.

More rain overnight, but I don't know how much. I found a website that said we had 2mm in the last 24 hours. As for now, blue skies and really cold, the same as yesterday morning really, so it'll probably rain again this afternoon.

In this morning's Paris Turf, the clerk says abvoiding catastrophies it won't be worse than good to soft on Sunday as the cold weather is stabilising the ground.

He would say that though...wants them all to turn up! We will learn alot tomorrow but thanks again for the updates!

Last edited:
He would say that though...wants them all to turn up! We will learn alot tomorrow.

I think there'll be lots of course walking the next couple of days.
An interesting note is that Saint Cloud today on the 9:00 measurement is 3.3 good to soft after 3.0mm of rain in the last 24hrs. The forecast all week was for Good going, so the rain is obviously getting in.

Saint-Cloud to Longchamp is about 2 miles in a straight line.

From Sporting Life.....French stewards must be very understanding.

Duke Of Marmalade's bid for Arc glory could be scuppered by soft ground at Longchamp.

The five-times Group One winner will be declared for Sunday's showpiece along with stablemate Soldier Of Fortune.
But if the ground comes up soft then he may not run, with jockey Johnny Murtagh switching to Soldier Of Fortune.

Trainer Aidan O'Brien told The Racing Post: "If the ground is going to be on the good side, then it's most likely Johnny will ride Duke Of Marmalade and Seamie (Heffernan) will ride Soldier Of Fortune.

"However, if the ground changes after declaration time and it comes up soft, then there is every chance Duke Of Marmalade might not run, and in those circumstances Johnny would switch to Soldier Of Fortune."

Soldier Of Fortune had been heavily backed for the Arc on Thursday, in anticipation of the ground coming up soft for Sunday.
Duke Of Marmalade's end-of-season target meanwhile is the Breeders' Cup Classic at Santa Anita.

DOM drawn 14
SOF drawn 9
Zarkava drawn 1
Youmzain drawn 3
Vision d'Etat drawn 8

Certainly means DOM has got a little bit more to do

In this morning's Paris Turf, the clerk says abvoiding catastrophies it won't be worse than good to soft on Sunday as the cold weather is stabilising the ground

Is the Arc course being used on Saturday and Sunday before the big one.

An interesting note is that Saint Cloud today on the 9:00 measurement is 3.3 good to soft after 3.0mm of rain in the last 24hrs. The forecast all week was for Good going, so the rain is obviously getting in.

Is the going usually similar between the two courses, if so we have to assume Longchamp is already good to soft.

Is the Arc course being used on Saturday and Sunday before the big one.

No they move the rail out by about 20 yards until the Arc

Is the going usually similar between the two courses, if so we have to assume Longchamp is already good to soft.

Saint Cloud is generally a little softer, don't ask me why as it should be the opposite, with saint Cloud being on the top of a hill.

And its just starting to spit again

I've laid off my bet on DoM.

If the ground softens, Vision D'etat must be the bet each way at 10/1.

Well no amount of coldish weather will "stabilise" horses galloping over it if it's raining on and off and if Sain Cloud is already gd/sft.

From the RP:

Following early morning rain, the ground on Friday morning at Longchamp was 3.3 or good to soft and more showers were expected during the day. Sunny periods should prevail throughout Saturday but rain is due in the evening and expected to last throughout the night and into Sunday morning.

Clerk of the course Christian Delporte said yesterday: “Unless there are some heavy downpours, I expect the going to be 3.4 or good to soft.”

When replacing Hughes aboard Youmzain, the owners mentioned Richard Hills had experience of big race wins, or something to that effect.

In the last few years (after Nayef), can anyone please shed some light for me of which races these were?

Following early morning rain, the ground on Friday morning at Longchamp was 3.3 or good to soft and more showers were expected during the day. Sunny periods should prevail throughout Saturday but rain is due in the evening and expected to last throughout the night and into Sunday morning.

Clerk of the course Christian Delporte said yesterday: “Unless there are some heavy downpours, I expect the going to be 3.4 or good to soft.”

To summarise, it's gd/sft now.More showers are expected today.The sun should shine at times on Saturday.It will start raining on Saturday evening and wont stop until Sunday afternoon by which time the ground will still be gd/sft.

Do they have some kind of water resistant turf :confused:

Back