2008 Arc

This is one of the best horses i have ever seen. Absolutely electric. A breeze. Incredible.

Not sure if you saw that she propped/jinked after jumping from the stalls, causing Soumi to almost lose his offside iron and her to drop to the rear; I thought he did well from there, chasing her into the bridle when she needed to move out of traffic and ensuring she was always able to find a clear path. He refrained from showboating until after the finish too ;)

I have to be honest, I didn't see the jink from the stalls and I suppose that goes some way to explaining the 'orrible position she was in.

Perhaps I was too harsh on the man, I assure you it isn't personal, I thought he gave the Hannon horse, Paco Boy, the perfect ride on Saturday.

I have to be honest, I didn't see the jink from the stalls and I suppose that goes some way to explaining the 'orrible position she was in.

Perhaps I was too harsh on the man, I assure you it isn't personal, I thought he gave the Hannon horse, Paco Boy, the perfect ride on Saturday.

I got on at 5's in running..am well chuffed and fairly happy with Sumilions's ride to be honest. Superb filly.

Rory is correct - the French TV side-on view showed that she almost went through the rails - was barged coming out of the stalls I think - and Soumi almost came off. He then had to gather her up and they lost lengths so he did really well not to panic, and not to light her up or over-exert her by bringing her round the field - a great ride imo. And I can't stand him!

From a time perspective, it's a shame Frankie buggered about with the pace during the middle of the race.

Dylan Thomas got a rating of 126/127 for beating Youmzain a neck last year. Has Youmzain improved on that run…on running with SOF he has run to virtually the pound of last years form.

Has Youmzain improved on that run…on running with SOF he has run to virtually the pound of last years form.

He`d have beaten SOF further with a clearer passage. It was certainly a career best effort imo. 129 for me with the filly at 132. This + bollocks is getting very tiresome, if the RP had been rating races in 1986 they`d have given Dancing Brave 136+ Pussies.

She cannot be rated 132 for a 2 length defeat of Youmzain. 128-129....I dont think Youmzain has improved that much.

Timeform give her 133...thats equal to Helissio destroying Pilsudski by 5 lengths. Pilsudski a few weeks later went on to beat Singspiel in the Canadian International.

Zarkava may well be a 133 filly but she (for me) did not achieve it yesterday based on a 2 length defeat of Youmzain and the German horse.

Forget who she beat, the question you have to ask is what kind of colt would it have taken to have beaten her. Hellisio and Peintre Celebre yes. Hurricane Run and Dakahani no.

Last edited:
3:40Qatar Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe (Group 1)

in red my figures for the races,
the time really slow for the race
1Zarkava (IRE)1 A De Royer-Dupre3 8-8 C SoumillonEvensF 99 127+ 128+22Youmzain (IRE)3 M R Channon5 9-5 R Hills14/1 100 127 127+3½Soldier Of Fortune (IRE)9 A P O´Brien4 9-5 J A Heffernan33/10 99 126 1243dhtIt´s Gino (GER)2 P Vovcenko5 9-5 T Thulliez102/1 99 126 12451Vision D´Etat 8 E Libaud3 8-11 I Mendizabal73/10 96 123 1226nkAsk (GB)15 Sir Michael Stoute5 9-5 Ryan Moore90/1 97 124+ 1227hdDuke Of Marmalade (IRE)14 A P O´Brien4 9-5 J Murtagh33/10 96 124+ 12281Getaway (GER)7 A Fabre5 9-5 O Peslier17/1 95 122+ 12191Cima De Triomphe (IRE)16 B Grizzetti

I can not rate yesterdays race as a one to have beaten
Dalakhani
Helissio
Montjeu
Peintre Celbre
Sakhee
Dalakhani
Sinndar

similar level to Lammtarra, Dylan Thomas

I think she was better than:
Sagamix
Carniege
Rail Link
Bago
Marienbard
Hurricane Run

Last edited:
I can not rate yesterdays race as a one to have beaten

Dalakhani
Sinndar

Really? Sinndar only beat Egyptband by a length and a half. I have to think Zarkava would have been capable of it least replicating that margin of victory. If so, you`d have to rate her 131.

Because Sinndar was rated 134 based on his Arc victory. If we were to assume that Zarkava could beat Egyptband by a similar margin 131 would be her rating.

Sinndar beat Egyptband by a length and a half, how far do you think he`d have beaten Zarkava by? The same or less. She`d have been upsides him imo.

Not sure if you saw that she propped/jinked after jumping from the stalls, causing Soumi to almost lose his offside iron and her to drop to the rear;

Zarkava tried to run out after jumping out of the stalls; directly to the right of the stalls there was a gap before the running rail started along which was strung some wide tape - it looked like she tried to duck out along the line of tape.

Timeform give her 133...thats equal to Helissio destroying Pilsudski by 5 lengths. Pilsudski a few weeks later went on to beat Singspiel in the Canadian International.

Zarkava may well be a 133 filly but she (for me) did not achieve it yesterday based on a 2 length defeat of Youmzain and the German horse.

Timeform say:

“Provisionally, we have her on 133.

“Zarkava’s basic rating for winning the Arc was 131 but she has been credited with an extra 2lb for the style of her success and the fact that she didn't have an entirely trouble-free passage.

“She's undoubtedly one of the best fillies in recent memory and, still unbeaten, has the potential to be the best if she's given the chance to continue racing against colts.”

Back