2008 Departures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet another fatal accident on the a/w in the 7.20 - it sounds as if quite a few were hampered, someone went up the inside or what? I can;t get a replay on my mac. I wish the Stewards would start handing out some long bans and some referrals back to racing school for the culprits, it's happened far too often in the last year or two

Great shame about Simondiun, he was good on the flat and looked very promising over jumps

The RP Bloodstock site is regularly doing things like this Helen - pulling up old stories etc. they had one about a sister/brother to Look Here for sale at Arqana July just a week or so ago.

Yep today they are previewing the July sales that begin today!

Yet another fatal accident on the a/w in the 7.20 - it sounds as if quite a few were hampered, someone went up the inside or what? I can;t get a replay on my mac. I wish the Stewards would start handing out some long bans and some referrals back to racing school for the culprits, it's happened far too often in the last year or two
Who would you ban though? Saturday's incident seemed to revolve around the leader dropping back quickly on the apex of the bend causing interference to the two horses immediately behind him. I'd rather see lowly rated recalcitrant horses banned.

Jockeys should be prepared for horses dropping back in a straightish line. It's the basket cases like Alesandro Volta,Antonius Pius and Swain that need banning :p

I see the Hannon yard lost D'Nurse which collapsed and died after the finishing line at Windsor on Monday.

Last edited:
Yep today they are previewing the July sales that begin today!

....or even the October sales that began yesterday? (well, the HiT began yesterday, the yearlings was on Monday) Even if you're not talking about Donny, I'm sure that the July sales didn't start anywhere yesterday!

Try reading the thread I was quoting from! you would see that IS had mentioned the RP posting age old or out of date threads & I was merely pointing out that they had a preview of the july sales in october!

Last edited:
Val Royal, sire of the English and Irish 2,000 Guineas winner Cockney Rebel, has died at his shuttle farm near Sao Paulo in Brazil.

The 12-year-old National Stud stallion suffered an internal haemorrhage, the cause of which is to be determined.

"He collapsed suddenly in the paddock and we are waiting forthe necropsy report from the veterinary University of Unesp in Botucato, Sao Paulo to determine the cause," said Dr Luis Alberto Marinho, the farm manager at Haras Basano.

"Val Royal had 50 mares nominated to him this southern hemisphere season and wehave 25 mares in foal to him. He was a fantastic stallion and the best stallion to have shuttled to Brazil since we started our breeding programme at the Brazilian National Stud in Campinas, Sao Paulo," said Marinho to the thoroughbredtimes.com

On retirement from racing, the Breeders' Cup Mile winner initially stood at Oak Lodge Stud in Ireland, shuttling to La Mission in Argentina. He transferred to the National Stud for the 2007 season and was in situ at Newmarket when Cockney Rebel won the Guineas. The stallion's fee was increased to £10,000 for the 2008 season. He underwent a colic operation in the spring of 2008.

Bred by Jean-Luc Lagardere, Val Royal was the winner of seven races from 12 starts. His victories at three included success in the Prix Guillaume d'Ornano-Gr2 and the Prix de Guiche-Gr3. After being sent to the US, he won the Del Mar Derby-Gr2, the Breeders' Cup Mile-Gr2 and the Frank Kilroe Mile-Gr2.

The National Stud was transferred earlier this year after a long process from Levy Board ownership to National Stud Ltd, a subsidiary of The Jockey Club. As part of it new development it gained charitable status and a new board of directors were appointed. Cockney Rebel was retired to the stud and has stood one season at £10,000.

I'm afraid to say it didn't look good for Irish Wolf at all at Fakenham. Horrible horrible fall.

Val Royal, sire of the English and Irish 2,000 Guineas winner Cockney Rebel, has died at his shuttle farm near Sao Paulo in Brazil. ............
The National Stud was transferred earlier this year after a long process from Levy Board ownership to National Stud Ltd, a subsidiary of The Jockey Club. As part of it new development it gained charitable status and a new board of directors were appointed. Cockney Rebel was retired to the stud and has stood one season at £10,000.

That's devastating news esp for his very elderly Canadian owner and for Tim Jones who manages his horses (Tim is Racing Manger at Gt Leighs, I think he and the Holmeses are over at the BC).

Cockney stands at the National Stud but he still belongs to Phil Cunningham (poss in partnership with associates), from conversations I've had with him. He was a terrific colt and hope he gets lots of coverings.

Somnus as been retired & Glencove Marina is out for the season.

Rural Rebel broke a shoulder at Wincanton on Sunday & unfortuantely could not be saved:(

Robustian
held up, steady headway 7th, prominent and staying on when fell 4 out, dead

I assume this was the poor sod who was behind the screens when they ran the bumper at haydock

There was a horse brought down at the 2nd, I'm not sure if okay, he looked like he had fractured a fetlock joint, but then found his feet, however he jumped next without jockey and sort of shifted right, then disappeared out of picture. Wasn't sure if had broke leg or not but didn't look nice and I'm not too keen to re-watch reply on RUK.

The RUK presenters could not quite make their minds up which horse was still on the ground but the name of the last horse they mentioned was the one that you are talking about, can't remember the name but it began with P, so perhaps the one they had behind the screens for so long perhaps was that one, you are right though it did at first look like he was injured but then galloped off but then disapeared!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back