2008 Departures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Derby winner Kahyasi has been destroyed at the Aga Khan's Haras de Bonneval in Calvados in Normandy.

He was 23 and had been suffering from cancer. A pretty good sire, but never really fashionable, his stock were fairly slow to mature.

Deserted Dane was killed instantly at Catterick about a week ago after rearing up in the stalls

Genuine Risk

At 2:
Won Demoiselle S. (G2), Tempted S.

At 3:
Won Kentucky Derby (G1), Ruffian H. (G1)
2nd Preakness S. (G1), Belmont S. (G1), Maskette S. (G2)
3rd Wood Memorial S. (G1)

Foaled February 15, 1977.
Eclipse Champion Three Year Old Filly, 1980.
Hall of Fame Inductee, 1986.
Second filly to win Kentucky Derby. Has the best finish by a filly in all three Triple Crown races.
She was the first Derby winner bred to another Derby winner, Secretariat. The resulting foal was born dead. Pensioned in 2000 after producing only two live foals.
Died August 18, 2008.

The Fellow, aged 23, put down after breaking a leg in the barn at the Marquesa de Moratalla's stud. RIP.

That makes it even worse! It's touching watching two old horses who've been in a field together for years, God yes he will be very cut up. Does anyone know what Trainglot did?

Theory, 3yo of John Gosden's broke its leg yesterday

That was a real bummer in several respects. Why is that at every 'big' day at Gt Ls when its full of the 'general public' ie people who aren't racing regulars, we seem to lose a horse?

I was 'shadowing' a group of ladies from Essex Life mag who made the presentation, then came into the hospitality box with Dean Ivory. He'd missed the race, got lost or something! only just arrived - so they put on the re-run tape.... arrgghh! They played it about four times too - I don't think the ladies realised what had happened, thank God :(

Glad Abdullah's won today, not that it makes up for losing a horse

... when its full of the 'general public' ie people who aren't racing regulars, we seem to lose a horse?

Their attitudes are often quite annoying, too. I was at Cheltenham in the Insurance Bar one year when we lost a horse at the last. A woman in the bar made such a fuss about the horse being put down in front of the stands with everyone watching, it seemed to be more about "Look at poor, sensitive little me being subjected to such a harrowing sight" than concern for the horse's plight. :mad:

Unfortunately the red hair kicked in at that point and a voice was heard across the bar saying; "With respect, Madam. You can walk, the horse can not." It went very quiet and then the proper racegoers joined in with "Hear hear" etc.

That makes it even worse! It's touching watching two old horses who've been in a field together for years, God yes he will be very cut up. Does anyone know what Trainglot did?

Trainglot won a glut of races including bolting up in the Cesarewitch as a three year old in 1990 and rounding off with victory in Ascot's Long Distance Hurdle in 1997. I managed to convince a friend at University to have his entire grant cheque on him in the Ces so he's always been a great favourite of mine.

Their attitudes are often quite annoying, too. I was at Cheltenham in the Insurance Bar one year when we lost a horse at the last. A woman in the bar made such a fuss about the horse being put down in front of the stands with everyone watching, it seemed to be more about "Look at poor, sensitive little me being subjected to such a harrowing sight" than concern for the horse's plight. :mad:

Unfortunately the red hair kicked in at that point and a voice was heard across the bar saying; "With respect, Madam. You can walk, the horse can not." It went very quiet and then the proper racegoers joined in with "Hear hear" etc.
Sadly that is often the case. My parents were at Beverley some years ago and were watching a 2yo maiden and a horse broke its leg rather badly after coming over the line. Big "Ooohhh" from the crowd, they realise what has happened and all rush down there to get a good look at it. :(

Sadly that is often the case. My parents were at Beverley some years ago and were watching a 2yo maiden and a horse broke its leg rather badly after coming over the line. Big "Ooohhh" from the crowd, they realise what has happened and all rush down there to get a good look at it. :(

I think that's a rather different type of behaviour to the example cited by redhead!

A few years ago, a lovely horse of David Elsworth's, Alfini, broke a leg at the distance marker in the 2000 Guineas and had to be destroyed on the spot. A group of people from the hospitality boxes wrote a letter of complaint to the racecourse, saying it rather spoilt their lunch and couldn't horses be shot in front of the hoi polloi instead. I'm paraphrasing there.

I used to work for one of the racecourse vets and it used to be quite sickening when a horse fell and was obviously hurt and the spectators at the fence would start shouting "Shoot it". I'm afraid there are a lot of ghouls in racing crowds.

I used to work for one of the racecourse vets and it used to be quite sickening when a horse fell and was obviously hurt and the spectators at the fence would start shouting "Shoot it". I'm afraid there are a lot of ghouls in racing crowds.
I know it's distgusting. I think it also varies between which racecourses you go.

The RP website will help you out there I'm sure.

I rather lazily assumed he was a French-trained horse given his name and that I knew nothing about him! I only really followed chasing until c8/10 years ago, other than the Derby and poss Ascot! I didn't take much notice of hurdling at all

Sad to say, Pizarro has been put down:

RP 15 09 08: PIZARRO, twice a Grade 1 winner as a novice chaser and winner of the Champion Bumper at Cheltenham in 2002, has been put down at trainer Edward O'Grady's farm in County Tipperary.

O'Grady said: “Pizarro had been retired and was suffering from emphysema and a tumour on his lung. Sadly, he had to be put down on Friday morning.”

An 11-year-old, Pizarro had not run under rules for almost three years, and he had been pulled up onhis only point-to-point start at Punchestown in March.

He won all three bumpers he contested, the first of them when trained by Eddie Hales, before joining O'Grady after being bought by Edward Wallace and his wife, Trish.

Partnered by Jamie Spencer, he beat Rhinestone Cowboy by a neck in the Cheltenham Festival bumper with Back In Front, Thisthatandtother and Iris's Gift filling the next three places – a race rated the best bumper ever run on Racing Post Ratings.

O'Grady said: “It wasprobably the most memorable finish to a Cheltenham Festival bumper and there was also the tension of a stewards' inquiry.

“Pizarro was a very good horse and he had a good record at Cheltenham, where he ran Hardy Eustace to a length in the Royal & SunAlliance Hurdle the following year. We thought he was very unlucky in the 2004 Royal & SunAlliance Chase when he was brought down at the second-last, closing on the leaders.”

Pizarro achieved Grade 1 success in the William Neville & Sons Chase at Leopardstown and in the Dr PJ Moriarty Chase at the same track.

His last appearance under rules came at Punchestown in October 2005, when third in the Listed Daily Star Chase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back