2008 Departures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anybody give me an update on Lease Lend? According to the commentator he broke down on the run in at Newcastle RP just says dismounted on the run in.

Originally posted by crazyhorse@Feb 24 2008, 03:40 PM
Second Set has been put down at his stud in Germany after failing to recover from pneumonia :(
Sorry to hear that.

He was the first horse I latched onto when I started following the game, and I had my biggest bet by far at that time, when he won the Sussex Stakes at Goodwood (would be in 1991 or 1992?).

Sanity prevailed shortly thereafter, and I ignored the Flat from 1993 onwards, but I retained a soft-spot for Second Set. What a shame.

Originally posted by vixen@Feb 24 2008, 04:30 PM
Green Belt Flyer, I'm afraid. Horrible fall.
That was so upsetting I left the bookies and didn't watch the rest of the day.

He was jumping for fun and was a certain winner over the last - how awful that must be for everyone concerned... One minute you are deleriously cheering home your winner, the next you have a dead horse. The fall wasn't nearly as 'bad' as Hobbs Hill's yesterday, but one horse got away with landing on his neck, and the other didn't.

Terrible fall ,....jockey looked to be in tears on his knees by the horse ..very sad :(

Jack The Giant out for the season, Megans Joy unlikely to make it to Cheltenham.

While Pizzaro is back in training and due to go hunter chasing and Acapulco has joined Edward O’Gradys.

Damn, I'd backed her to a decent stake aswell.

Any reason behind why she doesn't go Cantoris? Injury, or just waiting for Punchestown?

Gold Spear very dead at Clonmel - one of the more distressing/bizarre fatalities I've seen on the racetrack.

There was something not right about the whole Gold Spear incident ~ it was the second time in a row where he'd been punted only to fall at the first and his misjudgement of the obstacle was worrying. I only caught a glimpse of him getting up and rearing on his hind legs and thought it looked bizarre but don't know if he was caught or went down again.

I noticed there was a bit of damage to the railing after the last when it was omitted second time around. That's where the horse was destroyed, it looked as though he couldn't be controlled before being put down. Not sure what to make of it at all or what the injury actually was

When i was competing a horse fell and broke its leg , when the horse got u he tried to put the leg down and reacted very similar to what has been discribed ....The vet on the scene said the horse was trying to get away from the pain he was feeling , only lasted seconds though .....

Could be an explanation ? shrug::

I see Barry Geraghty is blaming the lack of a run-out at the 2nd hurdle for the death of Sandymount Earl. Horse had nowhere to go and had to jump the hurdle with a broken leg due to momentum.

Story on RP now

Originally posted by Bobbyjo@Mar 2 2008, 09:23 PM
I noticed there was a bit of damage to the railing after the last when it was omitted second time around. That's where the horse was destroyed, it looked as though he couldn't be controlled before being put down. Not sure what to make of it at all or what the injury actually was
Broken shoulder would make sense ~ Ekbalco behaved similarly when taking a fatal fall in the Fighting Fifth many years ago.

How awful for everyone concerned. I only watched for c45 mins this afternoon inc the big 3.55 chase at Leopardstown, very glad I missed both of those. Sandymount Earl belonged to Rolling Stone Ronnie Wood. Commiserations to all connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back