2009 Arc.

Fame and Glory 7 in the win market and 2.42 in the place as of last night. This must still be worth a bet, as even if Sea the Stars turns up, would Fame get much if any bigger, giving you the option to lay off if you so wished.

He'll go shorter in running, an unreal market in and of itself. Changingoftheguard traded as low as 6/4 IR but never looked like winning the Leger.

The Bogberry apparently running in the Arc, as the chairman of the Russian Jockey club wants a runner. He's over a stone out of his depth in a below par Arc, let alone what this year's renewal could end up as.

Interesting Hamm as at the start of the season he was quite fancied for the Prix Ganay.

Nothing wrong with wanting a runner in Europe's biggest horse race - particularly when other stables will be running pacemakers who are far worse than The Bogberry.

I think there's a lot wrong with it - if owners of horses in the UK who have a similar (or better) rating took the same attitude, the Arc and other big races would be a real mess.

Pacemakers are a different issue I feel as they ensure a good pace which theoretically means the best horse wins, and now that any grey areas concerning their manoeuvres have been clarified, they generally cause no interference to other horses, something which The Bogberry will not need to be so careful of.

Which one - Fame or in running?

Both the price that Fame is (which in the event of STS not running is compelling).

And the dynamic of laying back a price in running against the stored up value that the likes of Euro and I have already secured.

We should die wealthy individuals. I guarantee the first part anyway.:)

He's probably a 109/110 horse. For me, there is no point or nothing to be gained from him running in an Arc other than an owner wanting a day out.

Last edited:
O'Brien sounds in unusually helpful and upbeat mood:

"We were over the moon with Fame And Glory after Leopardstown and obviously we made the decision after the Irish Derby to give him a break with a view to having him for the autumn," O'Brien told At The Races.
"Leopardstown was going to be his first run back and obviously we had one eye on the Arc and we met Sea The Stars at the height of his powers.
"Sea The Stars was beautifully trained and ridden and everything went smooth for him, while our horse was running having had a break and was ready to start back.
"Hopefully the two of them will meet in the Arc and it will be very interesting. I suppose all the questions will be answered then."

Weather here

The last rain was over a week ago, we've had nice blue skies since, and there's none whatsoever forecast between now and Arc weekend, so with the usual watering, it looks like it'll be great 3.1 or 3.2 going.

O'Brien sounds in unusually helpful and upbeat mood:

"We were over the moon with Fame And Glory after Leopardstown and obviously we made the decision after the Irish Derby to give him a break with a view to having him for the autumn," O'Brien told At The Races.
"Leopardstown was going to be his first run back and obviously we had one eye on the Arc and we met Sea The Stars at the height of his powers.
"Sea The Stars was beautifully trained and ridden and everything went smooth for him, while our horse was running having had a break and was ready to start back.
"Hopefully the two of them will meet in the Arc and it will be very interesting. I suppose all the questions will be answered then."

Jesus!! That was nearly a straight answer to a simple question..be careful Aidan:lol::lol:

I agree they have bust a gut trying, but it's not often O'Brien indicates any sort of confidence ahead of the event against a particular opponent in his public statements. He at least seems upbeat here, which is probably a good sign.

Last edited:
Yes, he does seem bullish, but watching the Irish Champion again, it's hard to think that two furlongs will make a difference if the ground is as described by Longchamp. I get the feeling after Leopardstown, Oxx will run STS in the Arc on anything bar soft ground.

Just having a re-think on Fame and Glory, and asking myself what has he done this year to deserve his place in the Arc betting. The only thing I can come up with is a 5 length beating of Golden Sword, and the rest is potential, which is unusual for a horse so prominent in the Arc betting.

He was dismissed by Sea the Stars as a horse not in the same league, and perhaps Sea the Stars on decent ground is nigh on unbeatable here, on all known form.

Fame And Glory's second to Sea The Stars in the Irish Champion is better than his defeat of Golden Sword isn't it?

Probably, you're right, but Sea the Stars looked to do that so easily, he made it look like Fame and Glory was not a serious rival. I'm just trying to understand what makes Fame and Glory a potentially great horse when he hasn't showed anything to suggest as much to date. I respect other's views on here, but the more I think about it, the more I struggle to see it.

Surely alot of it has to do with the fact the horse has had little or no opportunity when conditions are perfect for him - really the Irish Derby was his only effort and much like the likes of Dylan Thomas and co he can only thump whats put in front of him on the day. Prior to the Irish Champion of his year Dylan Thomas's form read pretty average - simply because he did not have the chance to produce more. I am a huge Fame And Glory fan, but I did not expect him to beat Sea The Stars on drying ground over 10 furlongs at Leopardstown.

Fair point, but did you expect him to be so easily dismissed?

It would be quite rare for an Arc winner (who was not in any way shape or form running a trial race) to have been so readily outclassed a month before the Arc.

I was actually more impressed with Fame And Glory at Leopardstown than I thought I would be. He travelled and quickened better on the trip and ground than I thought he would - just beaten by a better horse.

I'm convinced Fame will be in the first two in the Arc as I believe that Fame's Arc prep, with a break after the Irish Derby, will see him at his best in the Arc (STS may not be seen to best effect in the Arc). Given some cut and a test of stamina it will take an outstanding horse to beat him. Maybe STS is that horse, but the Arc is the race I have always fancied Fame most for. I still believe he is the best bet in that race.

Last edited:
Back