2010 Two year olds

Again I cant see why you are reading so much into jockey bookings. Its a no brainer that Murtagh should ride Zofanny. What impact will Midas Touch or Joshua Tree have at stud as Ledger winners, none.

Not none at all... This is a realisable Classic the other is admittedly an important 2yo race. It's just not true to say that Ballydoyle/Coolmore are not interested in winning the St Leger. When Scorpion won they took the trouble of booking Dettori so they were covered either way.

Last edited:
Not none at all... This is a realisable Classic the other is admittedly an important 2yo race. It's just not true to say that Ballydoyle/Coolmore are not interested in winning the St Leger. When Scorpion won they took the trouble of booking Dettori so they were covered either way.

It is indeed a realisable Classic, and one very much winning, but unless the horse has other achievements which would entitle him to be a stallion of some sort for Coolmore (such as Scorpion had), they would prefer to win the National Stakes every year in preference to the Leger. One goes a long way to make a stallion, one can almost preclude a horse from becoming one (or at least one Coolmore want)!

Really taken with Picture Editor (Dansili-Shirley Valentine) who won a pretty strong maiden at Donny today. Also think the 4th is a shoo-in next time - Musnad, Hills very very easy on him. But first 4 all look to have promise.

You're right on MUSNAD, j/j - very taking whizz up into 4th and, as you say, a very (ahem!) gentle ride. The race definitely did make the first four in look really sharp, I agree.

Being very pedantic, when Scorpion won the St Leger, Fallon was actually riding Oratorio to win the Irish Champion Stakes, clearly the most important race that day. The National Stakes was a week later.

I wouldn't be too worried the real strength in the market is in the ten minutes before the off.

The most strength but the least significance. Can you tell the difference between the general publics money and informed money off the show? I doubt it.

Last edited:
The markets are shaped for races like this in the days before.

The show money is nigh on irrelevant.

I would fancy Pathfork to turn Zoffany over on the line through Glor Na Mara.

Depressing when these names get recycled - wasn't Zoffany a group horse over 7f trained by Guy Harwood in the 1980s?:ninja:

Indeed he was found this :

ZOFFANY, the former Guy Harwood charge who went on to greater glory in the US , before becoming a sire in Australia, has died at the age of 18.

Zoffany-a winner twice in Britain as a two-year-old in 1982 and once the following season before leaving Harwood's Pulborough yard- gained big US wins in the Hollywood Turf Cup and the San Luis Rey Stakes.

He sired a total of 14 stakes winners in his stud career.

Last edited:
I would fancy Pathfork to turn Zoffany over on the line through Glor Na Mara.

A few people have mentioned this and, as is often the case, taking the formline literally can be dangerous. (Zoffany has beaten Samuel Morse further than Pathfork has. Pathfork has beaten High Ruler further than Pathfork has, but that day High Ruler made the running and Zoffany barely got out of first gear to swoop past him). Pathfork held Glor Na Mara comfortably over 7f, but I was very impressed by Zoffany in the Phoenix. He needed all of the 6f to get up and I was left with the impression that he'd be much better over 7f (his earlier form had suggested this to be the case too).

There are other variables to consider. Would softish ground suit either of them any better? Is the Godolphin horse (that's been supplemented) any good?

Last edited:
Michael Halford expects to learn a lot from pitching Casamento in at the deep end in the boylesports.com Vincent O'Brien National Stakes at the Curragh on Saturday.
The Shamardal colt only made his racecourse debut at Tipperary last month, but won in such style that the County Kildare trainer has decided to take the leap into Group One company.

'He's been in great form since he won in Tipperary,' said Halford.
'It's a huge step up for him, but he was very impressive on the day and so we've decided to let him takes his chances.

'It's a big ask for him, it looks a very strong race. He's in good form and we're hoping for a good performance from him.
'We think he's a good horse but whether it's a step too far, too quick we don't know but we like him a lot.
'He's grown up a lot since his run. He's got a lovely temperament, he's a very laid-back horse. You wouldn't be seeing the best of him at home, but his work has improved and he's in really good health.
'We're looking forward to running him and seeing what we have. It will take the run to know how good he is.'
A Word Apart, trained by Dermot Weld, got off the mark at the fourth attempt just a week ago at Leopardstown and is also being asked to raise his game further.

'He won last Saturday, so we thought we would run him here. If you're not in it you can't win. He's a half-brother to Casual Conquest,' said Stan Cosgrove, racing manager for owners the Moyglare Stud.

On a less exalted level - I love Eucharist - what a tough little filly she is bombing through from unpromising positions to win these valuable nurseries. The sort of horse you would love to own.

Casamento was a real eye catcher at Tipperary in what on paper looked a hot enough maiden. Making all on fast ground in Tipperary is a long way from what he will face on Sunday but impossible to know how good he is.

It's a pity they can't protect their investment and hand White Moonstone over to Stoute. Horse looks to have everything, but I rate it a near certainty we won't see that potential come to fruition.

Last edited:
It's a pity they can't protect their investment and hand him over to Stoute. Horse looks to have everything, but I rate it a near certainty we won't see that potential come to fruition.

White Moonstone impressive there but with MIdnight Caller bombing that must be the worst May Hill field I can ever remember.

The third is rated 90 so if he has run to form then that was one hell of a run . Shame the Godolphin animal missed it .

Dewhurst next surely.

Back