2010 Two year olds

That would be the same Zoffany that was beaten out of sight at Royal Ascot. He has been well placed to pick a couple of handy listed and Group 3s. Pathfork on the other hand won what now looks a fairly good maiden and won in some style last time out, For me it is a no brainer, Pathfork wins.

Tailed off in the Coventry - an accurate guide you think in a similar way to Rock Of Gibraltar and Holy Roman Emperor. He already reverse the Coventry form with the likes of the winner and Samuel Morse when winning the Phoenix Stakes.

He did very well to win over 6 furlongs last time out and the step up to seven is a massive plus for him.

But I do like Pathfork alot too.

Glor Na Mora has run out of excuses after being backed like defeat was out of question last time out. Pathfork was hardly over extended to beat him. Besides on a formline through Glor Na Mora, Parthfork comes out on top.

Genius Beast reappears for Godolphin tomorrow. Would be really, really great for this one to do well being out of Shawanda.

Third. Looked to be almost going the best 2 out, and then seemed to have a think about things (kind way of looking at it). Would be worth opposing if he lined up in a good maiden next time out.

If Richard Hughes had the race to ride again he would never have sent Strong Suit to the front so soon.

Do you really think we saw the best of Strong Suit the last day?

Probably not - but there were no obvious excuses for him and Zoffany did not get the clearest of runs. And like I said the step down to six furlongs was hardly likely to suit him. It was a massive step forward from his Coventry run.

The 9/4 Zoffany hasnt lasted long. Who has gone 6/4 please? What a shame Dunboyne Express does not run.

Are the vibes from Ballydoyle that strong? As Gearoid says, he doesn't have the form to be a 6/4 shot.

Like I say it doesn't take too much working out if Murtagh has been charged to stay at home to ride him rather than partner a couple of decent types in the Leger, which is after all a Classic.

Zoffany ought to be favourite and ought to win in these circumstances. Ascot form is best forgotten.

Last edited:
I disagree - Ballydoyle don't have a horse they have any great aspirations for in the Leger (unlike say, Scorpion, and even then their rider stayed in Ireland), and nothing in the Champagne - hence, even if Zoffany was 3rd/4th favourite for the National, Murtagh would still be staying in Ireland, especially with the Irish Leger as well.

I think yox will find Coolmores number one jockey often skips the Ledger as it is far more important to win the National Stakes. Murtagh riding is not significant.

I disagree - Ballydoyle don't have a horse they have any great aspirations for in the Leger (unlike say, Scorpion, and even then their rider stayed in Ireland), and nothing in the Champagne - hence, even if Zoffany was 3rd/4th favourite for the National, Murtagh would still be staying in Ireland, especially with the Irish Leger as well.

I don't think this is right. Joshua Tree and Midas Touch look the only credible alternatives to Rewilding apart from perhaps Snow Fairy. Since earlier this week AOB has been hinting that Murtagh wouldn't be going anywhere other than with Zoffany. This sounds strong to me.

I think yox will find Coolmores number one jockey often skips the Ledger as it is far more important to win the National Stakes. Murtagh riding is not significant.

It's significant if they think he has a better chance in the National than they do in the Leger.

I don't think this is right. Joshua Tree and Midas Touch look the only credible alternatives to Rewilding apart from perhaps Snow Fairy. Since earlier this week AOB has been hinting that Murtagh wouldn't be going anywhere other than with Zoffany. This sounds strong to me.

Not so sure. Even letting aside the Irish Leger for a minute (which is important in a different sense to Ballydoyle), Zoffany is going to be a third of the price of whoever Murtagh is on - you would imagine their number 1 rider will ride their best chance.

Most importantly though, the 2 at Doncaster are not going to be making much money relatively speaking for Ballydoyle in the future. Zoffany, however, has massive potential in this sphere, a precocious son of Dansili, and has the chance to be a double Group 1 winner at 2 - a no-brainer for me when you consider this.

The Irish Leger would make it even more so I think.

Tabor will have wanted Murtagh to ride next years Guineas fav. Far more important than ridding a no good plodder around Doncaster for the most unimportant classic of the year to a breeding operation.

That would be the same Zoffany that was beaten out of sight at Royal Ascot. He has been well placed to pick a couple of handy listed and Group 3s. Pathfork on the other hand won what now looks a fairly good maiden and won in some style last time out, For me it is a no brainer, Pathfork wins.

Gearoid,

Go back and watch the Coventry again and watch Zoffany's race and how it unfolds. To use a cliche it's a race to put a line through. He comprehensively reversed the form with Strong Suit and I don't think it would have made any difference how the latter was ridden because he did not have Zoffany's turn of foot at the end.

Zoffany is a serious horse and will win comfortably I reckon.

Not so sure. Even letting aside the Irish Leger for a minute (which is important in a different sense to Ballydoyle), Zoffany is going to be a third of the price of whoever Murtagh is on - you would imagine their number 1 rider will ride their best chance.

Most importantly though, the 2 at Doncaster are not going to be making much money relatively speaking for Ballydoyle in the future. Zoffany, however, has massive potential in this sphere, a precocious son of Dansili, and has the chance to be a double Group 1 winner at 2 - a no-brainer for me when you consider this.

I wouldn't argue with this other than to say they have been indicating Zoffany is well fancied all week.

Indeed I take BTB's point that Pathfork is less exposed, on the other hand like Aragorn I'm not overwhelmed by Pathfork. I don't see why Zoffany shouldn't win and win well.

Tabor will have wanted Murtagh to ride next years Guineas fav. Far more important than ridding a no good plodder around Doncaster for the most unimportant classic of the year to a breeding operation.

It's true Tabor would want Murtagh to ride Zoffany in the Guineas, but not riding him at the Curragh wouldn't really make a difference to that.

If you think JT and MT are plodders you must have very high standards it seems to me that if Rewilding shows any weakness at all that one or the other of these will exploit it.

Again I cant see why you are reading so much into jockey bookings. Its a no brainer that Murtagh should ride Zofanny. What impact will Midas Touch or Joshua Tree have at stud as Ledger winners, none.

Back