2010 Two year olds

Does it not show what a load of bollocks Racing for Change and the idea that the two year old races should be excluded from the end of season bash . The really exciting race for me in prospect of this year's Champions Day is the Dewhurst .

Well said.

They've not had the material for a Guineas since Dubawi (who was beaten by the hard ground) so I think an Arabic winter and it's effects is being overplayed.

When they first started, a winter in Dubai seemed to be hugely beneficial to the horses. They came back fit and well and ready to run for their lives. Something must have changed in the way they are trained.

When they first started, a winter in Dubai seemed to be hugely beneficial to the horses. They came back fit and well and ready to run for their lives. Something must have changed in the way they are trained.

Completely agree Gus - it is not the travelling to Dubai that is the problem. It did not have a negative effect on them a few years ago when they dominated. Either just the horse purchases or a change in their training methods.

Either just the horse purchases or a change in their training methods.

They used to buy a small number of top class types, like Balanchine and Daylami, and nicking a few decent horses from other trainers. 40 top notch horses was perfect. Then they went mad, put David Loder in Paris and started buying all around them. Any decent two year old, even if it had no chance of training on, was being mopped up by Godolphin. The common sense approach which worked before went out the window, at the same time that they lost control of the day to day operation by having too many horses. They still get winners but so does JP McManus and you can't say his overall racing operation is a huge success when compared to others. They need to go back to basics. It's as simple as that. But its gone too far for them now to back down and accept it's not working.

His price was absurd on that form -his price was all due to his reputation .

Completely agree with this, backed Approve as I thought he should be a lot nearer the Godolphin horse.

Don't think Saamidd will be all that myself, the time was poor again yesterday and I'd have Pathfork and Dunboyne Express ahead of him (assuming the latter is still alive!) on form too.

Either way, Dewhurst is shaping up to be a cracker.

This is where times are very limiting, and practically useless for 2 year olds (until they run in a race run at a strong pace) - a small field was never going to have the race run at a searching gallop, and visually, he has been very impressive to date. He looks very professional, travels like a dream and quickens well (even off a slow pace).

When you beat a dual Group 2 winner, and an impressive Group 3 winner in a canter, then he must be the 2 year old to beat.

This is where times are very limiting, and practically useless for 2 year olds (until they run in a race run at a strong pace) - a small field was never going to have the race run at a searching gallop, and visually, he has been very impressive to date. He looks very professional, travels like a dream and quickens well (even off a slow pace).

When you beat a dual Group 2 winner, and an impressive Group 3 winner in a canter, then he must be the 2 year old to beat.

Agree with your first point in part, two year olds develop at different stages and getting a true handle on them can be difficult on the clock. However, Pathfork and Dunboyne Express have won in times which suggest they would make classic contenders.

When it comes to next years Guineas, I'd much rather be on the two Irish two year olds mentioned at this stage above Saamidd or Frankel who haven't had to really battle yet. Given the stable's record of ruining animals, you really ought to be shot if you're considering backing the Godolphin animal at single figures for Newmarket!

Agree .. I haven't a cent on him for the Guineas even though I put him up here right after his maiden win. For all that I think he may well win the Dewhurst, and it wouldn't surprise me if he won it well, I'd need 12s/16s before even considering him for the Guineas.

There's still probably plenty of value in the Guineas market.

Strong Suit still the one I'd plump for as things stand.

Makfi must have been one of the latest appearing guineas winners in years. Generally though you would expect we have seen the winner already.

Can't see the info at work but I know Footsteps had two runs at two and won the Killavulan on his final start - Not sure on dates though.. I thought he would have been out by now... Golan and Island Sands were before I got into racing.

It's highly significant that Halford has run Casamento 2nd time out in a Grp 1, not to mention how he ran. He takes it very steadily with his horses. He's the one I will be following if he is in the same yard next year.

Agree completely. Look forward to seeing where he turns up next - have a feeling he will be overpriced.

it's highly significant that halford has run casamento 2nd time out in a grp 1, not to mention how he ran. He takes it very steadily with his horses. He's the one i will be following if he is in the same yard next year.

1,000,000/1

Back