2010 Two year olds

AOB looks to be sending very much a second team for the Royal Lodge. Titus Mills is interesting but it would be disappointing if Frankel did not win in style.

Fillie Mile looks a cracker with Theyskin's Theory , White Moonstone and Misty for Me - with the fascinating Date with Destiny thrown in

It will be interesting to see how they price up the Fillies Mile - I think Misty For Me's form is pretty solid and she is not a flashy type compared to the other two.

The declaration of Date with Destiny is interesting as she would surely have been entitled to go very close in that valuable sales race ast Friday and they took her out and she evidently hated the ground at Goodwood.

Difficult to see her beating the top three though without a very big step forward on form.

Last edited:
Treasure Beach lost in the same nursery at Listowel as Joshua Tree did prior to winning the Royal Lodge.

That said Frankel will surely need to win this well if he is to be considered a Guineas contender.

The Beresford on Sunday generally attracts the better Ballydoyle colts.

Beresford Stakes:

Casamento (supplemented)
Eskimo
Factum
Gleadradh
Hold The Aces
Long Live The King
Longhunter
Master Of Hounds
Mawaakef
Music In The Rain
Robin Hood
Rossvoss
Samuel Morse
Seville
Treasure Beach

What a crap Beresford. Really emphasizes the weakness of the Weld, Oxx, Bolger (Glor Na Mara seemingly exposed) 2yo's this year. Hopefully Oxx might introduce a promising type in a back-end maiden.

You could add the Ballydoyle 2yo colts to that list TS. Apart from Zoffany and an impressive debut from Long Live the King, I've been disappointed with them generally. Maybe the Royal Lodge and Beresford will change that assessment and it is possible Ballydoyle have yet to run a some of their best prospects.

Anyone think the 2 year old pattern needs looking at?

For example, the Futurity is a much better race than the Gimcrack yet both are Group 2s.

The Acomb should be better than a Group 3.

The 2 Group 2s in the July meeting could be downgraded, as could the Middle Park.

The Rockfel should probably be upgraded - September is too early for the last Group 1 for 2 year old fillies in UK & I.

Not sure about the Moyglare as a Group 1 either.

I'd agree about upgrading the Rockfel, and downgrading the July Newmarket races.

As for the Moyglare, it is generally a good race and I would regard it as a genuine Group 1, and while the Middle Park may not be giving us future classic winners it is usually won by a good horse and is probably worth retaining as a Group 1.

It might not have the greatest strength in depth but it wil give lots of clues to the Pathfork form. I'l give a guess at a tissue leaving out the two entered at Ascot on Saturday.

11/10 Casamento
4/1 Longhunter
13/2 Long Live The King
9/1 Mawaakef
12/1 Master Of The Hounds
16/1 Factum
20/1 Seville
20/1 Samuel Morse
25/1 Robin Hood
33/1 Music In The Rain
50/1 Geadradh
50/1 Hold The Aces
66/1 Rossvoss

Last edited:
It might not have the greatest strength in depth but it wil give lots of clues to the Pathfork form. I'l give a guess at a tissue leaving out the two entered at Ascot on Saturday.

11/10 Casamento
4/1 Longhunter
13/2 Long Live The King
9/1 Mawaakef
12/1 Master Of The Hounds
16/1 Factum
20/1 Seville
20/1 Samuel Morse
25/1 Robin Hood
33/1 Music In The Rain
50/1 Geadradh
50/1 Hold The Aces
66/1 Rossvoss

Will you lay Longhunter EW? :p

Casamento had a tough race the last day and he is turning out again pretty quickly...not sure how solid a guide he will be to Pathfork's ability. What's more the first preference from the trainer seemed to be the Dewhurst but Godolphin have other horses for that so that is the reason he is going here.

Does not sound like the Dewhurst is the plan for Frankel?

Connections of Frankel are looking forward to testing their exciting colt in better company in the Group Two Juddmonte Royal Lodge Stakes at Ascot on Saturday.
Henry Cecil's son of Galileo wowed Doncaster racegoers with a terrific performance in a conditions event at the St Leger meeting, a race in which just two other opponents turned up.
The opposition is sure to be tougher on Saturday, but Lord Teddy Grimthorpe, racing manager to owner Prince Khalid Abdullah, is more than hopeful of a big performance in Berkshire.
He said: "This is certainly a natural progression for him. He did beat a 90-rated horse pretty comfortably at Doncaster and a genuine 90-rated horse at that so it wasn't just a normal exercise gallop by any means.
"He did it very well at Doncaster but obviously he's going to find his next race or two a lot more testing than that I would imagine.
"He's in very good form, he's come out of Doncaster really nicely. He had a blowout the other morning and Henry seems very pleased with him. He looks a very decent prospect."
Frankel is favourite for next year's 2000 Guineas and Derby on the back of his Doncaster romp and Grimthorpe admits the horse, named after the late Robert Frankel, could be very special.
He continued: "Bobby was a very important part of Juddmonte for 20 years, he did brilliant for Prince Khalid so hopefully he will be a fitting trinute to him.
"He looks like a quality horse and he's certainly shown he's well above average. There's not a racehorse owner in the world that doesn't dream of having that one very very good horse and certainly we have to be hopeful for him.
"He will evidently stay a mile as a two-year-old but that doesn't always guarantee a mile and a half at three.
"His mother, Kind, was very fast - she was a five and six furlong filly by Danehill. He's also a three parts brother to Bullet Train who certainly gets a mile and a quarter well.
"We have to be hopeful that in time he'll stay a mile and a half. There is plenty of stamina in the second dam and indeed the third dam so there is enough to suggest the Derby would be a possibility."
That's all for next season, but as far as his two-year-old campaign goes a return to Doncaster for the Racing Post Trophy could be on the cards should everything go to plan at Ascot.
"Obviously we have to take one step at a time but the Racing Post Trophy would certainly be a possibility," said Grimthorpe.

Royal Lodge -

Eskimo (IRE) (Tongue Strap)
Frankel
Happy Today (USA)
Klammer
Slim Shadey
Treasure Beach

Fillies Mile -

Date With Destiny (IRE)
Fork Handles
Theyskens' Theory (USA)
Together (IRE)
Traffic Sister (USA)
White Moonstone (USA)

Looks like a good move to run D with D - if she finishes third with the black type and uniqueness she will probably be worth what they paid for her.

Frankel ought to win the Royal Lodge comfortably in the absence of the Meehan horse . I like TT over White Moonstone.

Last edited:
Back