2010 Two year olds

In keeping with my theory, the Weld horse will have been as a fit as a flea first time out and is not certain to progressed as much as many will think. Might be worth taking him on if he is pretty short.

He would be entitled to be short.

I think the Wachman horse has shown a fair level of ability already at the trip. Leopardstown will be riding pretty fast tomorrow.

Dubai Prince looked good - but he beat a tenderly handled Seville (12/1 on the day) and is now stepping back down in trip. I agree though he probably will open up short enough.

Seville was 12/1 because the winner and Obligation were hammered in the betting and they was a few quid around for Halfords who was 4th. Unless you are suggesting Seville was not running on his merits he was just not fancied.

Seville was 12/1 because the winner and Obligation were hammered in the betting and they was a few quid around for Halfords who was 4th. Unless you are suggesting Seville was not running on his merits he was just not fancied.

I am suggesting he ran very much on his merits, but it certainly appeared to be a race they felt would bring him on considerably. They had Seville left in the Beresford Stakes that same week - so they clearly knew what they had.

When I get a chance over the next couple of weeks I will try and back up my "hunch" over Weld/Prendergast juveniles with a few stats.

If you want m e to look over it I will. What is it you want checked? It's quite possible you have a point but Dubai Prince is possibly the best example of it. The Killavullen stakes will tell us a lot.

If you want m e to look over it I will. What is it you want checked? It's quite possible you have a point but Dubai Prince is possibly the best example of it. The Killavullen stakes will tell us a lot.

You could be right - there will always be the exception anyway and Dubai Prince could be that. The Killavullen is turning into an interesting end of season race in recent years.

As far as maiden form goes, Dubai Prince's Gowran victory looks pretty solid to me (and that's without using Seville as a barometer). He didn't necessarily shape as though he wanted a step down in trip though and, though the other Weld horses are likely to ensure a decent test, that's enough to put me off.

Warning Flag is almost certain to handle conditions but I'm not altogether convinced his Dundalk successes are up to much - a length and a half beating of Park Avenue and Tell The Wind in a slowly-run run race isn't exactly solid pattern form.

Interesting that Murtagh is on Warning Flag though considering Ruling was a pretty taking winner at Naas; perhaps O'Brien prefers him ridden by someone likely to continue the partnership over the winter and into next year?

Impressive. Looks very nice. Love them colours, wish hed keep them racing in them being trained in Ireland.

Sheikh Mohammed having his two year olds in Ireland has certainly made a dent into Ballydoyle's almost total dominance in recent years and he is doing it with his sire Shamaradal.

Be nice to see this one stay with Weld for a Classic campaign. Having Casamento they might just might leave this fellow where he is.

Shamardal is the key in all this.I hope one of them wins a classic next year that is not the St. Leger.

There was never anyway they were going to keep either horse for their classic campaign

Last edited:
This is what I love about the flat - there are the results but there are the politics behind the results too.

Back