2010 Two year olds

Prendergast seemed to suggest that the bump at the start of the race and running too free were more of a problem than the time out. As Galileo said earlier on the thread he was never going to have fitness as an excuse. He also said he thinks the horse will get 10f next year.

Looks baffled... Please, Unca Bar, how do you make a killing out of horses which don't take part? (Seriously.)

Grand Criterium in France on Sunday - I wonder might they try and get a Group 1 into Roderic O'Connor. These French Group 1's are going to become more and more important to the breeding operations given the strength of the French breeding industry right now.

Edit - Sounds as though the ground is very soft -so maybe they will run some of their stronger stayers.

Left in the Grand Criterium today:

Rerouted
Ziyarid
Abjer
Maiguri
Havane Smoker
French Navy
Pisco Sour
Exodus
Recital
Roderic O’Connor
Private Jet
Salto

Oh! Thanks, Bar - I wasn't being cute, just a bit baffled - especially 'cos I'd have loved to have tried it!

I've just seen the Dubai Prince race. Very impressive. Interesting to see Weld use a pacemaker from a different owner. Presumably the Catalpa Sail Partnership were happy to help out Sheikh Mo.

Perhaps they were promised free berthing in Dubai Creek? Very interesting story behind the name Catalpa (thank you, Google) - it involves Fenians and a near miss of war between Australia and the USA, the Catalpa being a sail ship...

Last edited:
When I get a chance over the next couple of weeks I will try and back up my "hunch" over Weld/Prendergast juveniles with a few stats.

I had a look at this theory tonight.

2010 season ( 2yo only )

Predergast

13 individual winners, 7 of which won first out, 4 more won on their second start

Weld

16 individual winners, 4 won first time out, 8 more in their second run

Bolger

13 individual winners, 3 won first time out, 4 more on their second start

O'Brien

42 individual winners, 7 won first time out, 17 more on their second start

Percentage of individual winners to win first time out,

Predergast 54 per cent
Weld 25 per cent
Bolger 23 per cent
O'Brien 17 per cent

Percentage of individual winners to have won on either first or second run,

Prendergast 85 per cent
Weld 75 per cent
O'Brien 57 per cent
Bolger 54 per cent

Prendergast would certainly seem to have his juveniles fitter first time out than the others.

Derby market looks very interesting. Ante post betting is usually foolish, but if you were cleverer than me, you'd make a killing with many fancied horses unlikely to stay (or even take part).

Another bubble burst with Picture Editor. Dubai Prince is looking a very strong contender at this stage to me.

Speaking of the Dubai Prince form there is a nice listed race at 2.45 Leopardstown on Sunday:

My Tissue

7/4 Banksters Bonus
25/1 Invincible Don
8/11 Obligation
9/2 Printmaker
11/2 Tiz The Shot

Last edited:
I can't see Obligation being beaten. The Gowran maiden where he split Dubai Prince and Seville looks to have been as good a maiden as there was in the last few months.

Thanks for that Chronic...working on something myself too, will stick it up with this when done.

I had a look at this theory tonight.

2010 season ( 2yo only )

Predergast

13 individual winners, 7 of which won first out, 4 more won on their second start

Weld

16 individual winners, 4 won first time out, 8 more in their second run

Bolger

13 individual winners, 3 won first time out, 4 more on their second start

O'Brien

42 individual winners, 7 won first time out, 17 more on their second start

Percentage of individual winners to win first time out,

Predergast 54 per cent
Weld 25 per cent
Bolger 23 per cent
O'Brien 17 per cent

Percentage of individual winners to have won on either first or second run,

Prendergast 85 per cent
Weld 75 per cent
O'Brien 57 per cent
Bolger 54 per cent

Prendergast would certainly seem to have his juveniles fitter first time out than the others.

You would think they will jump Obligation out and he will be pretty hard to get past. Harrington horse is pretty useful though.

Speaking of the Dubai Prince form there is a nice listed race at 2.45 Leopardstown on Sunday:

My Tissue

7/4 Banksters Bonus
25/1 Invincible Don
8/11 Obligation
9/2 Printmaker
11/2 Tiz The Shot

It is a match for me. I would not be certain where I am with Printmaker as he ran ok despite being weak in the market at Dundalk. He could still prove smart but my guess is he is not in the same league as Obligation and Banksters Bonus.

Perhaps they were promised free berthing in Dubai Creek? Very interesting story behind the name Catalpa (thank you, Google) - it involves Fenians and a near miss of war between Australia and the USA, the Catalpa being a sail ship...

There was a filly called Catalpa who won the Ribblesdale - as did her daughter Strigida.

Back