2016 Gold Cuppin

Oh Jesus, he's going to be unbearable now. Fair play though with the price, was it 16/1?

My immediate thought after reading that was that I should back him NRNB now but after a minutes thought I've changed my mind for two reasons:-

1. It's not great value against such a strong field.
2. Although I absolutely love the horse I'm still not convinced the GC is right for him.

I guess you're hoping for a less than stellar performance from Djak on Saturday Grassy?

16/1 & 12/1 has been taken in reasonably liberal fashion, TB.

As for Djakadam, I will decline to comment on him, in order to prevent further damage to supporter's knees.

PS. A gentleman never gloats. The question is - am I a gentleman? :ninja:

:lol:

Last edited:
The vibes are connections think Vautour a class above Djakadam, but not one of them really knows whether he'll stay the GC trip. Even if the latter hoses up Saturday, they'll still have the same quandary.

Last edited:
Vautour being clipped across the board.

Now as short as 9/2 2nd-fave in places, with Marathon a standout at 7/1.

Edit: Granger, thanks for posting the article - much appreciated.

Last edited:
You've every right to gloat since you put your opinion on here for everyone to read straight after the KG. All we had to do was follow you in.

It's difficult to see Djakadam putting in a performance this weekend which will make Ricci think he doesn't need Vautour in the race. Even if he does win easily there's always the thought that he hasn't beaten any of the current principals as yet. Fine he may finish in front of everything that ran last year again but it's potentially only good enough for 5th.

I'm also trying to think of GC contenders other than Vautour who will need a prep run by the time the Denman Chase comes around. I'm struggling to think of any which suggests he's going to dot up. The only things which can scupper you now are mother nature or the fickle mind of a millionaire!

.....or a stone in a field, or a fall in his prep, or any one of a million others thing.

I'm not taking anything for granted.

Allow me to clarify, sunshine..........I'm not taking anything for granted....until Vautour lines-up on the day. ;)

Djakadam?

I don't think it's critical, though it obviously depends on the circumstances. I don't think it's straightforward that he gives the weight away to Smad Place, and even if he was beaten a couple of lengths, I don't think there's any reason for supporters to panic.

They have reason enough as it is.

Potentially only 5th The Bear! You been on the funny fags. :ninja:

Can comments like this be proof read before being made available for my consumption please. :ninja:

Potentially only 5th The Bear! You been on the funny fags. :ninja:

Can comments like this be proof read before being made available for my consumption please. :ninja:

Ha! I was just trying to get inside Ricci's head with that comment. If Djakadam was facing off against last years field apart from Coneygree then he might feel a lot more confident about the win without committing Vautour to the race. However there's Don Cossack (beaten Djakadam), Cue Card & Don Poli (not raced Djakadam) who all pose bigger threats than any of the 2015 field. So, with Vautour in the race he could conceivably come 5th!

Unless Don Poli runs poorly in Ireland there's a very real chance that Djakadam could start 5th favourite come the day when Ruby jumps ship to Vautour. If I fancied Djakadam to win I'd definitely be waiting until the day to back him.

OWNER Rich Ricci has suggested that King George VI Chase runner-up Vautour will run again before the Cheltenham Festival in March, with the Timico Cheltenham Gold Cup still the principal aim.

Vautour, already the winner of the Supreme Novices’ Hurdle and JLT Novices’ Chase at the festival, left more questions than answers regarding his Gold Cup credentials when edged out by Cue Card in an epic King George, but Ricci is optimistic about him getting the Gold Cup trip.

He said: “What happens if he’d won the King George by half a length? I still think he was carrying a bit of condition. He’s better left-handed and better at Cheltenham, and with that you could argue he would get three miles two and a half furlongs.

“The plan is to give Vautour another run. He takes a lot of work and I think another run will do him the world of good.

“Either the Red Mills Chase at Gowran, which isn’t ideal as it’s over two and a half on a right-handed track, or [the Betfair Denman Chase at] Newbury. Both are on February 13 and if he’s going to get a run in, it will be one of those two races I think. He’s entered in the Irish Hennessy but that’s a very tough race.

“I think Vautour on his day is something very special.”

Vautour is a top-priced 2-1 favourite with Betway for the Ryanair Chase and 13-2 with the same firm for the Gold Cup, for which the Ricci-owned Djakadam, who warms up for the festival highlight in Saturday’s BetBright Trial Chase, heads the market at a general 7-2.

i wonder what opposes him at newbury? can't think of any major players going there.

can see him going in comfortably and the odds halving, rightly or wrongly.

Last edited:
I sense the conflict in you.

:ninja:

I like the position I am in: if Djakdam loses I can say I told you he was a monkey and if he wins I can simply say he beat nothing.

With Djakadam putting his neck on the line, Yanworth and Barters Hill clashing and Thistlecrack and Camping Ground doing battle the AP could be in topsy turvy land in the next 36 hourse.

Bit unusual to see top guns clashing so near to the Festival.

I like the position I am in: if Djakdam loses I can say I told you he was a monkey and if he wins I can simply say he beat nothing.

I wouldn't sweat it, Fist. Everyone has you down as generally talking shi*te anyway.

Did we go to the same School ?:lol:

I see Richy boy more or less confirming Vautour will go for Gold and he's got more class in his tail than Djakdam has in his entire body.

The only worry is will he do a Pendil?

Very confusing the Gold Cup is...I think I preferred it when you were either in the Kauto camp or the Denman camp.

Damned if I can work out why Djakadam is favourite over Don Cossack Vautour and Cue Card and if he does win tomorrow they will cut him again just for the hell of it.

I think he is 100% a false favourite

I'm also trying to think of GC contenders other than Vautour who will need a prep run by the time the Denman Chase comes around. I'm struggling to think of any which suggests he's going to dot up.

That's just plain plagiarism James. :D

Grass

what does this list refer to?

1984Combs Ditchunpl
1985Combs Ditchunpl
1986Door Latch3rd
1987Desert OrchidNR
1988KildimoF 50/1
1989Barnbrook AgainNR
1990Toby TobiasNR
1991Docklands Express3rd 16/1
1992Pats JesterNR
1993Bradbury Star5th 5/1
1994Monsieur Le Cure6th 10/1
1995Monsieur Le CureF 14/1
1996Rough QuestNR
1997Challenger Du Luc7th 20/1
1998Escartfigue7th 11/1
1999Go BallisticPU 16/1
2001Best MateWon 7/1
2002Marlborough11th 20/1
2003TiutchevNR
2004KingscliffNR
2005Monkerhositn6th 13/2
2006Exotic Dancer2nd 9/2
2007Our VicNR
2008Albertas Run9th 14/1
2009Madison Du BerlaisNR
2010Riverside TheatreNR
2011Long Run 3rd 7/4F
2012Captain Chris6th 14/1
2013Cue CardNR
2014DynasteNR

<colgroup><col width="127"><col width="135"><col width="86"></colgroup> <tbody>
[TD="width: 127"] 1983 [/TD]
[TD="width: 135"] Brown Chamberlain [/TD]
[TD="width: 86"] 2nd [/TD]

</tbody>

Gold Cup position/record after finishing second in the KG?

"Trends" are there to be broken. I'm on Vautour, too, EC!

Last edited:
It's got to be something like the record of the King George runner up in that seasons Gold Cup?

yes..both correct

i'd have gone back further but its hard to work out if they ran in GC before them

bear in mind as well..90% of the forum feel Best Mate had bugger all to beat..so 1 win from 19 attempts there..and this years race is harder than Best Mates

looks a strong trend to me..i think the logic is..if you fail to win at 3m at Kempton..its hard to win at 3m2f at Cheltenham.

its a trend with something behind it i feel

it took ages to put together as well..had to start looking at youtube for the races

now..if anyone wants to go back another 20 years..for those with all the copies of Chasers and hurdlers available..feel free

Last edited:
It kills me to oppose him but I have to agree. Just watched the KG again and he plainly didn't stay. The jump at the last tells you everything you need to know.

I'd also say that none of those KG "seconds" were anywhere near as good as Vautour might be - particularly at Cheltenham in March.

Last edited:
Back