2016 Gold Cuppin

My honest answer is that I would consider the 2nd unlucky. And when I found out it was his first race at 3m, looked at who'd chinned him, understood the level he'd run to, and taken a look at his overall profile, I'd be wanting to know why he was being pushed-out for the Gold Cup.

Maybe this is why I often lose out on horses such as this - with no knowledge of the 2 beforehand, with no knowledge of Cue Card's failure to stay 3m as well as others in the past, I'd look at the race and think the 2nd was outstayed and thus ignore Vautour for the GC. History tells me I've got that sort of thing wrong in the past - in fact, history tells me that trainers know far better than I whether or not a horse will stay a particular distance.

Not always. Mullins and Nicholls have previous for getting it wrong with 'classy' types who have no problem doing the business over a flat three miles. Florida Pearl and Silviniaco Conti both went to the Gold Cup multiple times and were patent non-stayers.

I'm not saying Vautour definitely won't stay, because its all about the opposition and the way the race is run, but on balance I expect something to outstay him. I still think that's likely to be Don Cossack, but it won't be a confident bet.

Last edited:
wonder if they try and find another race for djak before chelts. providing he's ok

smad place surely a gold cup horse rather than ryanair. also it's bizarre they didn't go forward in the king george.

Not many options left for him now, particularly if Vautour goes to Newbury.

I suppose they could send both of them, but highly unlikely you'd think. If they did they could use it as a trial to split them for the Gold Cup and Ryanair.

Last edited:
Just another thought. I'm not sure that result was particularly good for Vautour supporters. Despite King being non-committal, Smad Place must go the Gold Cup route now, and with the doubts about where the pace was coming from in the absence of Coneygree we most likely have our answer. Surely if there are potential stamina issues with Vautour, the chances of staying are reduced with a relentless gallop up front.

Looks like he'll have Annacotty for the Ryanair now. Nothing to bottle, and those two runs just made it an easy decision!

Annocotty is a handicapper. Smad Place falls between two stools, not good enough for a Gold Cup, not fast enough for a Ryanair.

He's always been knocking on the door maybe at long last it's being answered.

A Hennessy and now this takes some doing by anyone's standard

Against that I heard Alan King say he doesn't think he'll be any better than he was today

Just another thought. I'm not sure that result was particularly good for Vautour supporters. Despite King being non-committal, Smad Place must go the Gold Cup route now, and with the doubts about where the pace was coming from in the absence of Coneygree we most likely have our answer. Surely if there are potential stamina issues with Vautour, the chances of staying are reduced with a relentless gallop up front.

My hole. :)

It is great news for Vautour supporters.

Let Smad make it if he wants. I'll be perfectly happy if Vautour gets a tow for the first 3m.

Smad Place is the wrong price at 16/1 (Boylesports, Corals).

He has comprehensively stuffed Many Clouds in much more authoritative fashion that Don Poli did, he has certainly achieved as much on form as Don Poli has, and he is a much more straightforward ride than Don Poli too. How he is three-times the price in the Gold Cup market is an absolute mystery - he would be half that price in my book.

Last edited:
Djakadam suffers cuts in fall
Djakadam reportedly suffered only minor injuries in his fall. Joe Chambers, owner Rich Ricci's racing manager, said: "Djakadam has a couple of cuts between his front legs but he was taken off the course in the veterinary van purely as a precaution. Ruby [Walsh] is confident it is nothing to worry about."

'Ruby went on to say that he was travelling like a dream & you'd need one hell of a crow bar to get him off his back for the Gold Cup'

Back