2016 Gold Cuppin

Bypassing Cheltenham for the Aintree Bowl would the wise decision for Smad Place imo

Where do you think Vautour will run?

I've got no idea, what I know is, (and in reply to Reet), Alan King is more familiar to Smad Places ability than any of us, and he wants to drop down in trip, which makes plenty of sense, as Smad has been outclassed over 3 miles in grade 1 company.

I've been busy for obvious reasons over Christmas, I've just seen oddschecker, seen that Vautour is 6/4, then looked at this forum and seems he is fancied to go in the Gold Cup.

My best guess now is that Vautour could go in either race.

16 lengths isn't that far for a race like the King George, and IF Vautour goes for Gold there is no better candidate than Smad Place for the Ryanair. 14/1 is a juicy anti post price.

Last edited:
I've got no idea, what I know is, (and in reply to Reet), Alan King is more accustomed to Smad Places ability than any of us, and he wants to drop down in trip, which makes plenty of sense, as Smad has been outclassed over 3 miles in grade 1 company.

I've been busy for obvious reasons over Christmas, I've just seen oddschecker, seen that Vautour is 6/4, then looked at this forum and seems he is fancied to go in the Gold Cup.

My best guess now is that Vautour could go in either race.

16 lengths isn't that far for a race like the King George, and IF Vautour goes for Gold there is no better candidate than Smad Place for the Ryanair. 14/1 is a juicy anti post price.

Ok, just for a moment I thought you didn't mind if Vautour lined up in Ryanair :blink:
Would love for connections to go CC with Vautour though can't see that happening.
I've no strong view on Ryanair at this stage myself.

Ok, just for a moment I thought you didn't mind if Vautour lined up in Ryanair :blink:
The price of 6/4 leaves plenty of e/w value elsewhere, and Smad Place fits into that category.
If Vautour goes for Gold then its obviously even better if you've backed something e/w in the Ryanair..

Last edited:
If Smad Place has the speed for a RyanAir, I'll give the game up, Marb.

That's a bold comment Reet. I'll be hoping for really soft ground for him though, so his stamina really can come into play. On good ground I think he'd get beat (Vautour or no Vautour). But you never know...the Ryanair is on the Thursday? Ground usually gets softer the longer the meeting goes on from memory.

Last edited:
That's a bold comment Reet. I'll be hoping for really soft ground for him though, so his stamina really can come into play. On good ground I think he'd get beat (Vautour or no Vautour). But you never know...the Ryanair is on the Thursday? Ground usually gets softer the longer the meeting goes on from memory.

Why would the ground get softer as the meeting goes on marble? Unless it rains of course. Or they forget to turn the taps off. :D

Will be racing on the new course too

I found the Lexus very underwhelming. I like Don Poli, but struggling to beat First Lieutenant (beaten 12 lengths in the Hennessey off 147) is very far from Gold Cup form.

I've loved Vautour from the first time I saw him but even if he'd won at Kempton I'd retain doubts about him getting home at Cheltenham.

For me Djakadam is Mullins's best chance.

Not from where I'm sat, Marb.
Don't be fooled by him beating another stayer over 2.5 in a mickey mouse 12k early season race, his whole profile screams he needs a thorough test to compete anywhere near the top level. He was outsped and outjumped at several stages of the 3m KG last week, and beaten pointless by similar types to those he'd meet over shorter, in the RyanAir.
I'd be amazed (and appalled) were he to even run in the race - let alone make first 3.

Last edited:

His form at 2m4 compared to 3m2 differs by a lot though Marb..he beat fingal bay by 8 giving 3 at 2m4..but beat the same hoss by 21 giving 11 at 3m2.

on that it looks like he is 20 lengths better hoss over longer..and he won't be facing a hoss like FB in the ryanair..will be facing 20lb+ better hosses than him there

Last edited:
He ran to 180 the other day despite not jumping as fluently as he can and to the left. Kauto Star won two Gold Cup's despite not being at his best there. Might Vautour have enough of a class advantage.

Sent from my MediaPad M1 8.0 using Tapatalk

No. Well certainly not this year anyway.

7/1 for next years KG will look massive come then.

Last edited:
He has been campaigned **** poorly but on anyway good ground and with benefit of a prep, RTR is a cracking bet and I'd imagine pricewise will opt for him

Don Cossack going for a race in Thurles same as last term for his prep

Last edited:
Never thought I'd say this, especially this year, but Holywell is beginning to tempt me at 33/1. He's never won under rules before Feb so it's not hard to ignore his poor efforts so far this campaign. EDIT: Just seen that it was the end of Jan when he won his first race of the season a couple of years back but my point still stands.

He'll travel better than Don Poli and Don Cossack, will likely stay better than Cue Card and Vautour and wasn't far behind Djakadam & Road to Riches in it last March when had the ground had GD in it somewhere then he would have arguably finished closer than he did.

It's a stretch to imagine him winning I'd agree but from what looked an extremely strong field a few weeks back we've since lost Coneygree for the season and there are question marks beginning to appear about others.

Road to Riches now the obvious other one to consider at the price.

Last edited:
You're probably right Grass. Far too much Christmas spirits I guess but many a horse has run well in this having shown previous festival form.

and if Lord Windermere and The Giant Bolster can fill two of the first three places then no hope is as forlorn as it may initially appear...

but that however could certainly hinder his chances DG :)

Last edited:
If Lord Windermere and The Giant Bolster were at the same level as the principals in this Gold Cup, I'd probably give you the benefit of the doubt, Lee...........but they're about 20lbs shy of what will be needed this time!

Back