2016 Gold Cuppin

'I thought I had plenty of horse left to go and win the race from there'

You could probably dig out a similar quote from Dunwoody after the 96/97 Gold Cups! Hopefully it won't take Ricci 3 years to see sense.

Vautour's stride was visible shortening, that's not a stayer. I bet you his next run will be in the Ascot chase.

Where he'll need to put his Ascot form in November well-behind him, unless he wants to stare at Smad Place's backside for two and a half miles. :)

Last edited:
his ascot form in november isn't worth anything though due to his fitness being well below par..as big as bull ..he was described there by an expert.

the horse is easily a 180+ at short of 3 miles..unapposable if turning out at short of 3 miles

Last edited:
Enough from me about Smad Place. He is 10/1 second fav for the Ryanair, and that probably about right.

The one I'm interested in as a serious left field poke in this race, the gold Cup, is the horse that out battled Smad Place in the RSA 2014, O' Faolains Boy. He tore apart The Hobbs horse Sauslito Sunrise at Newbury in mid December. No new entries as yet.

He's the type of animal who can have an off day over fences, (pulled up twice), but when he's on song, I think he's dangerous to underestimate.

in an average year Marb i'd admire your search for big prices..but you are basically putting up county champion runners up against Usain Bolt..they are decent hosses against very very good hosses

Smad Place needed binoculars to see Vautour's backside by the end of the KG.

Most people's comments on here and the KG thread seem to be influenced by the money they already have down or by the money they had on the KG. I'll preface my view with the admission that I've a 20/1 double for Vautour in the Gold Cup and Douvan in the Arkle.
No-one knows whether Vautour will stay 3m2f on Gold Cup day but, for me, he stayed the KG trip well enough and has a decent chance of staying the extra on spring ground on his favourite course. In the end, I'm fairly confident that it will come down to Ruby. The only ones that I can see winning if Vautour doesn't show are Djakadam and Don Poli and Ruby will know them well enough. If Vautour runs and Ruby rides, he'll win.

i can guarantee you i never post re influence of money bet or bets to come..basically my ante post bets are just above zero and i any bet i lose is forgotten within a minute over the sticks,,which to me is a watching code..not a serious betting medium

my views are based on what i see or record..Vautour will have to be Kauto Star to perform at the same level at 3 as he did at shorter..its got nothing with staying or not..its about ..performance at trip..staying is rrelevant without level capable of doing so at.

In an average year i'm sure Vautour would "stay" well enough to beat an early 170's set of hosses in a GC..this year isn't average..so will imo struggle

He would have won a KG without CC in it..so the question of "staying" is a bit of a nonsense unless you put iut in context of oppo..a 5f sprinter can stay 2 miles or 3 miles if oppo allows it

Last edited:
Back