2016 Gold Cuppin

Gold Cuppin

I'd imagine the quote from Ricci about staying the Ryanair trip was telling!! I think they had the same stamina doubts a few of us here held. I mentioned way back in the thread that Mullins always relies on his initial judgment after a race. After the KG live on C4 he commented that it didn't really appear he truly stayed that trip. They know Djak stays having done it last year but it's only in the last week or so they could get the work into him to ready him for this. It makes perfect sense but it's just the way they went about it that leaves a bad taste.

On a side note you can be dam sure now that On His Own will be setting off in front turning this into a big stamina test with Don Poli & Djak left in the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
he'll romp it..save face don't measure up to a G1 win..

he has saved face in his mind by throwing the 90% in..some punters will buy that..so no face to save as far as Ricci is concerned..the 90% excuse will help them gain a G1 win in the ryanair..and probably the GC with other one

Last edited:
Wow, Ricci obviously has been feeling the heat since he dropped the Vautour Bombshell - Just announced Betbright have paid out on Vautour as a winner of the GC !

Imagine if Vautour wins the Ryanair going away on the bridle. It's almost like he has to lose for them to save face.

Viking

the 90% stuff is a get out for not running him in the GC..its PR speak to replace.."we had a dicussion..and Willie won"

I don't think I said I believe the 90% thing. I'm well aware that was just PR

at this time last year..we were looking at the two Dons..Vautour stamina allowing +.Coneygree all lining up..so it is a disappointment..still the GC though..I will be backing Djackadam now though this has happened..its a tell to me pulling a better horse out for it..they must really fancy Djak

Last edited:
Gold Cuppin

Cooper rides Don Cossack. Probably Townend or Russell for DP so.

Last edited:
Well Vautour not running takes a bit away from the race after all the build up.
Right decision me thinks for the horse mind. Enjoy the show in the Ryanair.

Think Cooper had to ride Cossack on the better ground.

The most baffling decision in all this is Road to Riches heading to the Ryanair.

Probably has less chance to win and came 3rd in last year's Gold Cup on unsuitable ground. Madness.

Gold Cuppin

They usually go for the stable second jock but think DR has this one

Probably will be Russell with Townend on Valseur Lido. At least Russell has form with Lord Windemere before, a similar type to DP, and has ridden Don Poli before too. I'd have no qualms with that.

I think Cooper will regret that decision tho and it'll haunt him for months to come. Don Poli is 2/2 on the course with both wins on good ground. Not good to soft but good. One over 2m4f and one over 3m. He has put in his most impressive performances on good ground at this course and for a horse who doesn't do impressive both of these wins were very impressive for him.

Don Cossack has been to Cheltenham twice with both runs on good ground. Similar to Don Poli he also raced over two and a half and 3miles. He fell in an RSA which was inevitable after pecking on landing a nice few times before that before coming 3rd in a **** poor Ryanair. Uxizandare's fast gallop again putting his jumping around here under much scrutiny. He pecked again at times and was forced into mistakes again loosing ground at crucial times.

Again like the notion that Don Poli is slow, I get a kick out of those who reckon he needs a bog. He got a bog in the Lexus on old racing ground and just about held on. They will more than likely water to maintain good ground and that'll be perfect for him.

Last edited:
As a DP backer I'd take DR any day over cooper with the way the horse needs to be ridden.speculation on Twitter it might be Johnson,I hope not.

Ya Mullins has used him in the past but I'd imagine Giggi will have a say here & Russell will get the shout.

It's not a huge psoitive for DC but it's certainly a big negative for DP that Cooper has deserted him. All the vibes were that Cooper was very sweet on him but maybe he thinks the Lexus was his day.

Back