2016 Gold Cuppin

Djakadam will rule the day..Mullins.. has given a "tell" to everyone by pulling out a better horse in his favour....him and Ricci have lead folk a dance ...but have by doing that.. given you a real edge now..Djak must be better than ever for them to ditch Vautour so they can win 2 G1's instead of just one. They must be confident because even with normal confidence..a person would leave both in just in case..but to pull one out is a massive give away.

imo of course

Thankfully it's not like football and we don't have to pick sides/countries. I have been with Don Cossack since the KG and seen nothing to change my mind.

What I will say is that had the Ryanair been around Xmas instead of the King George Vautour would be even money favourite.

RTR did Djakadam's chances no harm at all today, when running a blinder over a trip short of his best. I noted that Djak had improved since on the basis of his his easy win against Valseur Lido - who, in turn did the form no harm when 2nd to Vautour today.
Cue Card shouldn't stay, and the 2 Dons don't have Djakadam's speed, so likely to top off a dream week for the Walsh/Mullins/Ricci axis.

For the first time I can remember in 45 years of punting, I won't have a bet in the Gold Cup. The big guns strike me as very close in what is the strongest in-depth renewal I can remember for some time and I can see no edge in the prices.

The heart says Cue Card but the head says hold on to what little is left of my money (i.e. save it for the other races).

For the first time I can remember in 45 years of punting, I won't have a bet in the Gold Cup. The big guns strike me as very close in what is the strongest in-depth renewal I can remember for some time and I can see no edge in the prices.

The heart says Cue Card but the head says hold on to what little is left of my money (i.e. save it for the other races).

It's a very pragmatic approach and I agree with you. There is no value in the market whatsoever. I was looking at it for my e/w trixies tomorrow and there's just nothing.

Thankfully I have a nice acca riding on Don Cossack so I may just back Cue Card in case the sentimentalists get their way again :D

I do not think it is that great a GC .

Djakadam fallen twice second once

Don Cossack - poor record at the track

I
Don Poli - his jockey thinks he is too slow and jumps ship

Cue Card - possibly does not get the trip .

Ye can forget cue card and yer nostalgia, ye can forget Cossack and raitings, and ye can forget Djakadams and the what ifs!!

Tomorrow's gold cup will separate boys from men. It will unveil a new champ. One that wants it more when others cry enough. One that will battle to the very end and then some. One that will not be denied.

One to put the gold alongside the green and white.

#thepolinator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carlingford Lough I presume

When AP rode him in a race last year which had no strength or depth to it he manage to get himself beat 28 lengths (Mid-division, hit 13th and 15th, outpaced 18th and soon slightly detached, stayed on from 2 out but no threat to leaders). The ground was soft last year which usually brings out the best in dour stayers The Ground today will be lightning fast in comparison.

I would have thought with his record of being just about tailed off in every other race he runs in might go against him in such a high class field.

Really can't see him doing a Lord Windemere.

Would love to hear some logical reason other than hoping everything else runs a stinker and is going to stop and let him catch up when he's all but tailed off by halfway.

I have all day :p

You forget to take your jolly pills again?

Djakadam fallen twice second once Let's assume he stands up

Don Cossack - poor record at the track He's a much more mature horse now according to Davey Russell who rode him for the first time in ages recently and reckons he will handle the track with ease

Don Poli - his jockey thinks he is too slow and jumps ship Gets there in his own time granted but has the right man on his back A jockey with the patience of a saint who has great hands and will nurse him into the race rather than force him into it

It's not about whether he will stay or not, the only worry is will he do one of his I think I'll stop now acts something he seems to be over as he has gotten older

Crazy to discard these horse its a fantastic Gold Cup maybe the best in 10 years or more. Not 2 horses like Denman and Kauto but 5 horses all with great chances and each of them in the best form of their lives.

Barring accidents if everything runs their race it will be a cracker...............Sprinter and Vautour already slackened it so the fookin Roof is certain to come off the stands if Cue Card wins

Now go take a jolly pill and enjoy the race :lol:

Last edited:
It's a very pragmatic approach and I agree with you. There is no value in the market whatsoever. I was looking at it for my e/w trixies tomorrow and there's just nothing.

Thankfully I have a nice acca riding on Don Cossack so I may just back Cue Card in case the sentimentalists get their way again :D

Horrible feeling if he wins and it seems like everyone backed him bar you....I'm having a dollar on just in case :0)

Anyone's race; poor Noel Meade is gutted not to be there .
There was a rumour that John Kiely might be retiring shortly but I hope CL runs up to his best form at least which would still be some way short of these.
Best of luck all.

Djakadam fallen twice second once

Don Cossack - poor record at the track

I
Don Poli - his jockey thinks he is too slow and jumps ship

My figures:

Djakadam 181
Cue Card 180
Don Cossack 178 +?*
Smad Place 176

(Rated as finishing 2 lengths third in the KG - anyone who thinks he would have won should add to it)

Three of those four have ratings higher than Best Mate. What's to diss?

No stamina concerns here.

Probably isn't a huge betting race really with so many in with a chance. Nice to see it wide open because of the number of high calibre horses rather than a load of poor ones.

I just think the level of improvement in Smad Place the last twelve months has been superb and I can't help but feel he's got some more in the tank. Not a big bet today though.

Back