2016 Gold Cuppin

Thought it would be CC or DC. You've done too much slating on Don Poli & Djak to turn back!! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I genuinely don't have a problem with this. I reckon in their mind they've simply made the right decision at the right time.

Gold Cuppin

Mullins there said he'd always had it in the back of his mind to go Ryanair!! Only when Djak got enough work in they decided to go to GC with him & Ryanair with Vautour. He knew for sure a week ago.

You really couldn't believe a word.

Last edited:
They've also taken some of the lustre away from the Gold Cup, to run in a two-bit race instead.

I'm as peeved about the dilution of the main event, as I am about my bets tanking, to be honest. It's now just a very good race, whereas Vautour's presence undoubtedly would have elevated it to greatness, imho.

Last edited:
Gold Cuppin

You know my views on my stamina concerns for him grass but for class alone it would have been great to see. I agree, it does take from it now. We all wanted them to go as NH race fans.

Interesting to see what he does next year. They obviously have those stamina concerns too.

Last edited:
I genuinely don't have a problem with this. I reckon in their mind they've simply made the right decision at the right time.

Largely agree. I think it might be because I have no ante-post interest in either race and haven't really even looked at them because of the vagueness regarding targets.

I take the same approach to the big decisions in matters outside racing: keep all options open for as long as possible.

I don't necessarily disagree with this either, Paul......I think they are doing what they think is in the horse's best interest.....it's the wholly inconsistent messaging which grates.

Absolutely. I've learnt the hard way in the past. Now I lay everything back pre-Festival and re-back or back something else on the eve/day of the race. Generally I back, lay pre-trial race, and re-back if still of interest.

Ricci due on ATR soon to apparently "Explain" the Vautour decision - be interesting to see if ATR are a little more pressing with their line of questioning....

I think he said a telling thing when he said they had decided ryanair..he listed the reasons and added."and we know he stays the trip"

now to me...why even mention that unless its the main reason he isn't running in the GC?..its bloody obvious he stays the ryaniar trip..that tells you that one of the main reasons is the staying issue..why not just admit it..but if he does that it admits he has been wrong for months

if he is only 90% they wouldn't be running at all imo,..its GC or nothing statement

from day one i wanted him in the ryanair as i think he would be electric in it...but the way they have dragged this out and misled isn't really how it should be. I don't do ante post but would imagine those that have will be f00kin furious

i have aways ignored trainer comments...and this epsiode is a classic example of why punters should not be hanging on their every word...punters are last on the list in this business..but any time i say something about a trainer decision i get..oh you know better than the trainer commment. Even after this epsiode..punters will still hang on the word of trainers..i don't know why..they aren't there for the punter

the way he just dropped it like it were no big deal out tells you that punters don't even register in this game.

there are lessons for the punter here that is for sure

Last edited:
only just watching the interview with Mullins..had it on pause..he has contradicted Ricci a little imo..the way he tells it is that now they think Djakadam is ready and firing and well after the fall.....he is their main GC hope..he never mentioned V being not 100%. It sounded to me like Djak has always been his main GC hope and that V was in GC in case Djak wasn't right.,,the way i took it anyway

he was stumbling/pausing a lot at beginning of interview as well

Last edited:
Despite everything I send after the KG I'm fuming about this. Not from a betting perspective but because it robs us of what would've been the highlight of the week.

At least it makes the decision to back Don Cossack easier now.

Their reaction straight after kgv told me it would quite likely end this way. Immediate responses are often the correct ones and the it's a case of talking yourself into something you don't instinctively believe. Possibly They probably had a case in showing some confidence before so as not to encourage other runners in the lack of stamina stakes and punters know what they are dealing here with this stable anyway

only just watching the interview with Mullins..had it on pause..he has contradicted Ricci a little imo..the way he tells it is that now they think Djakadam is ready and firing and well after the fall.....he is their main GC hope..he never mentioned V being not 100%. It sounded to me like Djak has always been his main GC hope and that V was in GC in case Djak wasn't right.,,the way i took it anyway

he was stumbling/pausing a lot at beginning of interview as well

That's exactly how it was. I was at a cheltenham preview where Tony Mullins gave his opinion that V was only in the GG incase Djackadam didn't recover. Turns out, he was spot on. Sounds like it was the plan all along.

Back