2016 Gold Cuppin

True in some ways EC1, class horses win class races, I believe that too. But all I'd say is, wait for the Rebecca Curtis's horse next start in preparation for the Gold Cup, (whenever that may be), before righting him off completely.

He's 33/1, in early January, hence another good performance would put him in the mix...both in the betting market and race.

Last edited:
good luck Marb...i'm not knocking you at all..i just believe this year its going to take an exceptional performance to win the GC...are those horses you mention exceptional?

In an ordinary year..they wouldn't need to be..just my view

All I'd say is, wait for the Rebecca Curtis's horse next start in preparation for the Gold Cup, (whenever that may be), before righting him off completely.
He's 33/1, in early January, hence another good performance would put him in the mix...both in the betting market and the actual race.

Next stop is the Cotswold Chase for O' Faolains Boy.

dilution of talent Grass..ability is a bit like an elastic band..when stretched to the full its thinner

its like having SS run over 3 miles ..he might stay enough to beat Grade 3 ers at that trip..but do you really want to miss out on the fireworks at 2 miles?

same with vautour

I think 176 would be good enough to win. 172 was Coneygree's rating after last year's race and I can't see anything else doing much better this time.

Didn't your sectional-analysis tell you it was a race that was strong on stamina....or at least on-par for the Grade of race?

Vautour ran to 176 in the KG. If he can do that in the GC he'll win...just my view as well.

Not if Coneygree turns up 100%. He's better than 176 on my figures. Then again, so is Vautour! But in a head to head I'd fancy Coneygree to run the guts out of Vautour.

Last edited:
Relax Grassy , Vautour will run in the Gold Cup, Ruby will be on board and he will win.

Ive moved on and Im now backing him for this years King George

Brian, I'm not agitated in the slightest about where Vautour will run at Cheltenham. He is a cert to go in the Gold Cup.

Yes agree, so nows the time to find the winner of the Ryanair, because Vautour is making some serious value in the market!

Road To Riches for the Ryanair. Outstanding value for the Ryanair when they know they won't win a Gold Cup. I'm sure O'Leary wouldn't mind winning his own race either.

Road To Riches for the Ryanair. Outstanding value for the Ryanair when they know they won't win a Gold Cup. I'm sure O'Leary wouldn't mind winning his own race either.

RTR is a 7lb better horse over 3m+ though Maruco..will find it all happening too quickly at business end imo

they got to run him somewhere though i suppose..i couldn't fancy him mesen

EC1, don't forget to add another 7lbs for Vautour running in March, as his December form has always been below that of his spring form.

Has a stone-and-a-half in hand. Stamina-schmamina - what are you worrying about? Get that saver on!

:lol:

Last edited:
that March theory isn't logical for any novice..that was his target as it is most novices..you could say that about every novice that wins a festival race when you view their from,,ooh look he peaked in March..no..he peaked for his target..this year he had the KG as an erlier target..if the festival was held in December..then that would have been his peak month last yesr..a flawed theory imo

i've not questioned his stamina..i've questioned his mark run to..to distance factor..which is what staying is..its got nothing to do with distance alone..steptoes hoss stayed 10 miles..but not against 180 hosses:)

RTR is a 7lb better horse over 3m+ though Maruco..will find it all happening too quickly at business end imo

they got to run him somewhere though i suppose..i couldn't fancy him mesen

Not sure about that EC. I'd say he stays but has plenty of pace as well. You'll have rated him over two and half as he came through and out of the novice ranks and he was already running at three when he had improved which is where your higher rating comes from. I don't see the shorter trip around Cheltenham being a problem at all and in some ways I actually think he might be better over it. Take Vautour out of the Ryanair equation and what beats him?

RTR has to run in Gold Cup. The Ryanair even being mooted is crazy. Need their heads banging together if he misses Gold Cup.
Same with Ruby if he has to choose.

Not sure about that EC. I'd say he stays but has plenty of pace as well. You'll have rated him over two and half as he came through and out of the novice ranks and he was already running at three when he had improved which is where your higher rating comes from. I don't see the shorter trip around Cheltenham being a problem at all and in some ways I actually think he might be better over it. Take Vautour out of the Ryanair equation and what beats him?

I'll tell you closer to the time:)

i'm no good at picking what i think will win months before tbh over the twigs..i'll let the next few weeks formulate something in my scone

RTR has to run in Gold Cup. The Ryanair even being mooted is crazy. Need their heads banging together if he misses Gold Cup.
Same with Ruby if he has to choose.

Why? He finished third last year and was probably at his peak. This year looks the deepest I remember even without Coneygree, and how does he turn the form round with Djackadam at the very least? I'd say he's running for third at best, whereas the Ryanair is his for the taking. Plus O'Leary has at least three more guns to aim at The Gold Cup, so re-routing him gives him his best chance of landing both.

Last edited:
Back