2018 Gold Cuppin'

I don’t think there are any genuinely unexposed Irish chasers heading to the Gold Cup.

I think they’re all pretty-much open books, and the only exceptions I might possibly make are for RTR and KV.....and even then, I think the former is probably nearing the end of his improvement, and the latter is too accident prone to give me undue cause for concern.

The fact that KV was nearly able to win the IGC after a two year absence in steeplechases, with the race eventually won by the chasing equivalent of Marty Hopkirk (one for the oldies there), tells me all I need to know about the quality of the race and the Irish challenge for the Gold Cup.

Might Bite’s quirks at Cheltenham have no bearing on the test he faces - they’re relevant only to his own performance.

Only three weeks until we find out who is talking the most shi*te. :lol:

:cool:

Last edited:
Is it lost on you that Native River got beaten into second by Minella Rocco in last years Gold Cup. A horse who prior to that, when he actually stood up right, finished 3rd to Viconte Du Noyer & Warrantor!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colin Tizzard had no idea he has a possible Gold Cup horse in his hands until after winning 2 extremely tough races in the Hennessy and the W National. He was a mere 7 years old yet to reach his prime and has more right to improve than any other horse is the race.

Rocco isa festival winner like your Might Bite is he beat Native River in the 4 miler obviously you have forgotten that. He is a very very good horse on his day and like many others Jonjo aimed to have spot on for one big day and he did exactly that. He's won big races at Cheltenham for years with horses who have shown nothing for months and underestimating him is nuts to be frank.

To me this is not a great Gold Cup it would not be on a par with the Burrough Hill Lad Jodami Forgive N Forget type race but more like The Thinker Cool Dawn See More Business where the best stayer wins the day and to me if Native River has improved he will come out on top.

Colin Tizzard had no idea he has a possible Gold Cup horse in his hands until after winning 2 extremely tough races in the Hennessy and the W National. He was a mere 7 years old yet to reach his prime and has more right to improve than any other horse is the race.

Rocco isa festival winner like your Might Bite is he beat Native River in the 4 miler obviously you have forgotten that. He is a very very good horse on his day and like many others Jonjo aimed to have spot on for one big day and he did exactly that. He's won big races at Cheltenham for years with horses who have shown nothing for months and underestimating him is nuts to be frank.

Tizzard is on record as saying the horse had the Gold Cup as his target in the winners enclosure immediately after the Hennessey so he did know the Gold Cup was his target and his training mirrored that.

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.daily...e-River-Gold-Cup-options-triumph-Newbury.html

And if we’re bringing in the 4miler into play, Mother of God. They’re the type of trips Rocco needs. It just shows you how bad last years renewal was when a boat like him could get second.

What about Synchronised, Jonjo’s last horse to win a Gold Cup. He won a Lexus on the way to his Gold Cup. I really don’t think the plan with Minella Rocco is to leave him short in his races so that he makes mistakes causing tired falls. He is generally out classed in these grade ones but could still manage second in last years Gold Cup. It was a poor renewal and it’s as clear as day to see that now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If our Duke gets to the last on terms (thats his challenge) nothing will beat him up the hill

It must say something of SJ that Power is riding him.

Not like Potts is gonna jock him off :ninja:

The most disturbing thing on the build up to this gold cup was Tizzard taking the brilliant Paddy Brennan off cue card and your's truly along with literally hundreds of others told him so.

I am going to have half a crown/two & a tanner EW on Cue Card without MB.......fookin certainty to be in the first 4

Last edited:
I was a little bit encouraged yesterday to read that Edwulf's jockey was voicing concerns that he might not get to ride the horse in the Gold Cup, "depending on what Barry Geraghty does".

It sounds like BG is seriously considering claiming the ride on Edwulf although I wouldn't be at all surprised if JP's sporting magnanimity extended to allowing O'Connor to keep the mount, to complete the fairytale.

Reading that article is like reading something that someone said to himself "I am getting paid I better say something"

If he had been talking about Altior it would hold more water but Might Bite has won a nothing RSA and a poor King George and wouldn't be within 10 lbs of Kauto Star at this stage

Would be nice if he were right racing needs hero's but Might Bite needs to get through this Gold Cup with flying colours before we start hailing him as the next coming.

I was delighted to hear Ricci say Douvan WILL go for the King George next season after he beats Altior :0).......then we might bite when Ruby says Douvan is the best of all time

Fry is supplementing American, no doubt due to the ground

Wonder if Twister does the same with BDM. Won't be running at Kelso now....

Horse is extremely fragile according to Harry Fry but he's entered him in 3 of the toughest races in the world???

Seems a bit strange to me..Best of luck though I am sure Noel's first thoughts will be for the horse

Nowhere else to go really. Too high in the handicap to win a big staying handicap so may as well chance their arm.

Back