2022 Grand National

Have backed Hill Sixteen and Highland Hunter today.......with the absolute bare minimum of enthusiasm.

Highland Hunter beat Deise Aba a nose in the London National and then ran well when second in the Welsh National.

It doesn't do Deise Aba's form any harm.

This horse was a staying on fifth in a Kim Muir two years ago. His form figures since then are PP1P22P2.

What I like about him is when he has finished second he's been staying on well.

While trying to look for reasons for his pulled up efforts, the only thing I can see is that maybe he doesn't want too many hard races in quick succession, i.e a month or less apart.

From what I can tell if he makes the cut, (currently 41 on the list) this would be his first run for two months which I think could see him to good effect.

He has never fallen in career thus far which must be a positive and 66/1 is a decent each way price, (Betfred 6 places, 1/5th the odds and NRNB).

It might look like I am trying to be clever but I genuinely feel this is an open National and he has a place chance.

Last edited:
Highland Hunter beat Deise Aba a nose in the London National and then ran well when second in the Welsh National.

I've had a sneaky fiver on Highland Hunter because it would be just like pumpkin to spunk the National and the Trainer's championship after the disgrace he made of himself at Cheltenham.

No chance of 18 scratching from the latest acceptor stage, I reckon. There's next to no chance of anything rated below 144 getting in.

Vast majority of my bet with NRNB e/w 50/1 and only a fiver @ average 77.34 without. He needs to go left handed and fresh and if anything like the form he was in on his only run this season an 8lb rise won’t stop him giving me a run for my money.

If he lines up off bottom weight - and the NRNB concession covers the risk - no way is he 50/1

The Kim Muir was against terribly handicapped British horses. This is much tougher and is a terrible race plan. Irish National or even the Punchy Gold Cup would make so so so so much more sense.

Is Freewheelin Dylan an intended runner? He'd absolute love it out in front, wouldn't even know he was in a race ��

Is Freewheelin Dylan an intended runner? He'd absolute love it out in front, wouldn't even know he was in a race ��

My understanding is they haven't yet decided whether it's here or the Irish National. I suspect the likely ground will have a large bearing on the decision.

My understanding is they haven't yet decided whether it's here or the Irish National. I suspect the likely ground will have a large bearing on the decision.

I make him 1/100 to run at Aintree. You get one shot.

I make him 1/100 to run at Aintree. You get one shot.

I'd agree with that. The quotes about him and the Irish National being a possibility was at an Irish National event. Wasn't going to **** in everyone's chips that day. He's still the stand out value in the race.

Back