A little system for the Festival

some concentrated stats for Jonjo;

6-9yo: 14-112 (+£58)
3m or further: 12-82 (+£65)
Haydock, Cheltenham or Ascot last time out: 9-45 (+£52)
Non-handicap: 10-57 (+£55)
First or runner-up last time: 10-68 (+£25)

My little system is to back any horse named after a nearby town. Shows a 35 pt profit in 2 years (I live just outside Holywell).

As far as it goes, there are far worse coincidence geographical bets than the double, Holywell (10/1) in the Gold Cup and Flintshire (5/1) in the Sheema Classic.

So is it possible to get hold of the raw data after the event or do you have to collect it each day? Cos that is way too much effort!!

Last edited:
Two years ago backing the fifteen horses in first time headgear, excluding first time cheekpieces and tongue ties, returned £750 for a £5 each way bet on each one. I can't find last year's figures but I do remember the "system" returned a profit again and the winners included Jezki, Holywell and Western Warhorse.

Wonder if it will pay again ?

Carole's Spirit 4.00 first time blinkers

Doing Time 4.40 first time tongue tie and/or first time blinkers, what does tb1 mean ? If it's tongue tie doesn't qualify.

Return Spring 4.40 first time blinkers

Monkey Kingdom 5.15 first time hood and/or first time tongue tie, what does ht1 mean ? If it's tongue tie doesn't qualify

Here's another little "system" for you. Jonjo has had 23 winners at the Festival this century, 15 of them over a distance of 3m or further. A £1 level stake bet on these 15 horses would have returned £189.88.

Two Jonjo horses in the 2.40 Lost Legend and Dursey Sound ( a JP horse :ninja:)

Return Spring was already on my shortlist for the 4 miler. tb1 must mean 1st time for both tongue tie and blinkers.

Doing Time 4.40 first time tongue tie and/or first time blinkers, what does tb1 mean ? If it's tongue tie doesn't qualify.

Monkey Kingdom 5.15 first time hood and/or first time tongue tie, what does ht1 mean ? If it's tongue tie doesn't qualify

Both DT and MK have worn a tongue tie previously - would be more straightforward if they'd put the 1 next to the actual equipment they'd never worn previously.
In Carole's Spirit's case, the blinds appear to be to sharpen her up for the drop back in trip, and looks a sound each way bet - particularly if they pay 4 places.

Here's a related question

A friend of mine reckons Pendra wears first time cheekpieces in a chase in the 2.40 although RP cards don't indicate this,. Does the RP differentiate between hurdles and chases for this info i.e does the fact Pendra may have born pieces in a hurdle mean this isn't the first time.

Last edited:
Don't know the answer to that one, I'm afraid, DG.

I've created my own 'system' for the Festival. I call it my 'Lazarus Yankee' to which I've committed the princely sum of £2 each-way to collect £20,626.35.

Hurricane Fly (8/1)
Sprinter Sacre (5/2)
Monksland (14/1)
Bobs Worth (12/1)

I am not recommending anyone follow me in.

Don't know if you saw this post on the Preview thread Grassy but AP's remark may give you some hope

Alan Lee to A P "If you were in Ruby's shoes and had to make the decision whether you would ride Faugheen or Hurricane Fly would you have made the same decision ?"

AP "Not exactly"

Yep, I saw your post, DG....I believe I may even have thanked you for it. :)

Not sure what to read into it, if anything. Might just be McCoy would like to have ridden HF before he retired.

I must admit I think HF may well get in the 3 and at 10/1 with 888 bet might be worth a tickle. I think the hood worked the oracle with Jezki last year but has stopped working now. Can't see him winning but may be one to chase the machine home.

Last edited:
Here's a related question

A friend of mine reckons Pendra wears first time cheekpieces in a chase in the 2.40 although RP cards don't indicate this,. Does the RP differentiate between hurdles and chases for this info i.e does the fact Pendra may have born pieces in a hurdle mean this isn't the first time.

RP don't distinguish between the 2 codes, and the first time "1" missing from Pendra's entry is probably an oversight.
Certainly no record in any of the RP form of his having worn any headgear previously.

To update then

Doing Time 4.40 first time blinkers

Monkey Kingdom 5.15 first time hood

Pendra doesn't count as first time cheekpieces not part of the criteria

Fortunately in the list above missed out Shangani first time blinkers in the 2-40 handicap - (Venetia Williams) my first tenner gone without trace !

To update then

Doing Time 4.40 first time blinkers

Monkey Kingdom 5.15 first time hood

Pendra doesn't count as first time cheekpieces not part of the criteria

Well that was a good start :whistle: - 40.00

Tomorrow's qualifiers as far as I can see

Blackmail 2.40 first time hood

Dell'Arca 2.40 first time blinkers

Arabian Revolution 4.40 first time blinkers

The Saint James 4.40 first time hood or tongue tie, what does HT1 mean ? If first time tongue tie doesn't qualify

Bouvreuil 4.40 first time hood or tongue tie, what does HT1 mean ? If first time tongue tie doesn't qualify

Modus 5.15 first time hood

Last edited:
Dell Arca fits into my system of following horses that have placed in previous years [albeit 5th in Coral Cup] and The Saint James is a Saint des Saints and I'm following those. I could do with Lac Fontana wearing a first time soemthing, but he's probably had several wind ops since last year. [of@15 horses today that placed last year 7 of them placed again 3x1 3x2 and 1x3rd, although there wouldn't have been much profit on them]

Last edited:
ht1 means wearing a hood, and a first-time tongue strap.
h1t1 would mean wearing both items for the first time.

I think

Back