Aintree Day 1

I also like Get me out of here in the next.

Should Nafaath really be 190 on the machine? I don't think so.

In between Sire Collonges and Megastar. The latter gets to run off the sam mark as at Chelt. Went with the Sire, with a small Rev fc.

This meeting is always one of my favourites. Big Buck's was a pleasure to watch today. Interesting to hear that both Nicholls and Dan Skelton think he's the best horse they've ever had at Ditcheat. I don't agree with them, but still.

Shame about Denman. I was hoping that if they ran him again this season it would be at Ayr. He was never going today.

Big Buck's aside, I think Wishfull Thinking was also a treat to watch.

Roll on tomorrow.

Watched it all this evening and superb stuff. Didnt have a single bet

Well pleased for Nacarat. an enjoyable horse to watch and for twiston davis of course

Grand Crus is one of the best staying hurdlers ive seen. What that makes big bucks i dont know. Ive sometimes fielded against him but this is one of the truly great animals. Astonishing

Last edited:
What stood out for me, as it always does with NH racing, is the sportsmanship and camaraderie. I hope Patrick Mullins has a good spin round in the National on Saturday on Dooneys Gate. So gracious in defeat after coming second in the Foxhunters, and pleased for young Willie [as were we all]. Puts certain footballers to shame, perhaps. Proud to be a follower of the sport, today.

Last edited:
Ah, those were days. All of three weeks ago. Christ.

Euro - you cannot defend a run like that - he showed very little interest in racing / jumping - and has done this more often than a true champion should... he was very very disappointing today against a bunch of 2nd rate chasers.

He was, but he puts so much into his runs at Cheltenham that he basically can't be arsed. It's like me at work, if I'm doing eight days on the bounce come the last one I've gone and I'll admit that like Denman today I don't put it all in.
Bottom line though is in a different era Denman would be a multiple Gold Cup winner so retirement talk is daft.

Last edited:
He was, but he puts so much into his runs at Cheltenham that he basically can't be arsed. It's like me at work, if I'm doing eight days on the bounce come the last one I've gone and I'll admit that like Denman today I don't put it all in.
Bottom line though is in a different era Denman would be a multiple Gold Cup winner so retirement talk is daft.

True

I like the look of Scotsirish tomorrow over the National Fences. Could go very well at a nice price. Agree with IS about Ballyholland.

Back