Annie Power

Thanks Granger - fair play to him for giving that interview even if he didn't give any trade secrets away but good listening (bar Big Mac being his usual annoying self), I got the feeling Ricci wants to run her in the CH but he wont get his wish unless its soft or worse.

Last edited:
The Aintree hurdle gives Mullins a diplomatic alternative.

I often wonder if a 2 1/2 mile championship hurdle at the festival would be a good idea or would it just rob the other two races of intrigue and quality. I suspect it would lessen the other races quite a bit.

We wouldn't have the fun/debate of guessing in the build up whether Oscar Whiskey will get the 3 miles and horses like ROR may never have run in a champion hurdle.

I often wonder if a 2 1/2 mile championship hurdle at the festival would be a good idea or would it just rob the other two races of intrigue and quality. I suspect it would lessen the other races quite a bit.

We wouldn't have the fun/debate of guessing in the build up whether Oscar Whiskey will get the 3 miles and horses like ROR may never have run in a champion hurdle.

No more dilution :nono:

No more dilution :nono:

Agreed, but it is interesting the effect it would have. It's hard to gauge the effect removing the Ryan Air would have on the CC and GC. Nothing in that race seems quick enough to win a CC (if a fully fit SS turns up) or enough of a stayer to win a GC.

If they weren't planning to run her at Cheltenham, why give her so much experience of the track [something I'm not sure Willie Mullins tends to do with his horses]?

Do we think she is as good as Voler La Vedette? If she is, she wins the WH this year.

I most certainly think she is better. Very simplistic I know but she got close enough to Bucks in his prime.

Even money when we have no idea whether she will stay ? Let alone what the ground will be like ?

Even money when we have no idea whether she will stay ? Let alone what the ground will be like ?

That's what I was thinking Adross. I know it's a sweeping generalisation to say this, but the ground is almost always good on the Thursday for the World Hurdle. She's only raced on G/S ground. And recently at Doncaster the official going was G/S, but I think the Jockeys said that day that it rode a lot heavier.. certainly looked it anyway. The vast majority of all her impressive wins are on Heavy ground.

I also a firm believer that there is a huge difference in G/S January Winter ground compared to G/S March Spring Ground.

Having said all that, I don't fancy anything for the World Hurdle at this point. Too many question marks over all the market leaders!

There are still weeks to go but if the rain doesn't let up significantly, would be surprised if the ground comes up better than g/s, but just because she hasn't run on better, doesn't mean she couldn't cope with it.

There are still weeks to go but if the rain doesn't let up significantly, would be surprised if the ground comes up better than g/s, but just because she hasn't run on better, doesn't mean she couldn't cope with it.

This would be my thinking, I think better ground also enhances her prospects of staying the 3m if that's peoples concern.

I know no one has said good ground won't suit her but I don't know why people assume that just because they hadn't run on it previously.

Where is the report that Ruby wants her to run in the race ? He cautioned against bottoming her in a big fight with Big Bucks and At Fishers Cross.

I wouldn't get carried away with the distance between Voler and BB. He had plenty up his sleeve that day. Was a fantastic ride by Lynch. If something was able to take him 10 lengths further up the track then that is where he would have been.
She would only have an issue on better ground in the Champion imo. Over this trip she would be fine. Ofcourse until she runs over 3m then she still has it to prove. I think she'll get it running backwards. Though a searching pace would be interesting.

If she did turn up in the Stayers, if I were Nicholls I would send Halo out in front and give Bucks a lead, then let the old man take it up when Halo relents. See what Annie has got. The old legs may give way, but then you never know. He is still going to take some beating, even if not quite the force of old.

Back