Another "Hen & Terry" horse with forum involvement

Good luck with him Ian. I thought that WaD jumped like a natural. When he goes over 3 miles in a novice chase he will be in his element.

Originally posted by uncle goober@Nov 7 2007, 05:27 PM
is that somesort of gaelic related joke ?
The only "gaelic related" joke I know is the one about the Irish lesbian :rolleyes:

I thought long and hard about joining Ian R in the Fal Agh Bagh venture but abandoned the idea for what I now refer to as the "Rashar Filly" venture. I'm considering renaming this venture at some stage, but I'm, in no hurry.

When in Hong Kong last week a taxi driver asked partner and I what hotel we were staying in, and whether it was nice.

"Yes indeed", we said and told him about the swimming pool on the roof with the glass wall so that you can look out over the entire harbour while sploshing around.

"Ah ha ha", he replied. "Have you considered the risk you run of making a person envious?"

Of course nothing could have been further from our minds.

Thanks. I'm booked to go over for the race but with all the rain there's been I doubt he'll run now.

ok, done my best for quarter of an hour - am now a member of a number of gaelic fori - please confirm my translation of 'Fal Agh' and complete the phrase.

Fal Agh Bagh means Power and ......

The other option I found was from gaelic prose and involved something to do with 'authority of the bosom'.

Hope things goto plan for FAB.

MR2

Fal Agh Bagh means Power and ......

The other option I found was from gaelic prose and involved something to do with 'authority of the bosom'.

Authority of the bosom is never to be trifled with, and nobody I know would dare name a creature even as noble as a racehorse in connection with it.

There has been intense research into the derivation of the name Fal Agh Bagh by some eminent scholars (scholars are always eminent, lawyers only sometimes) of matters equine and Gaelic in both the island of Ireland and continental Europe.

The best theory any of us can come up with is that Fal Agh Bagh is not merely an anglicised, but also a bowdlerised, rendition of the Gaelic phrase 'fag an bealach', which means 'clear the way' or, if you prefer, 'get out of the way'.

The motto of the Royal Irish Fusiliers, once a regiment of the British army, was Faugh A Ballagh, which is a reasonable rendition in English phonetics of the Gaelic original. The curator of the Ulster Tower at Thiepval, where the Battle of the Somme was fought, confirmed this to me when I visited there a couple of weeks ago. He also casually observed that if pronounced using the hard Ulster g sound, however, this motto sounds perilously close to describing the male organ and its overall purpose (actually, he put it in less delicate terms than that).

Off the cuff though his observation may have been, it nevertheless seems pertinent. One can imagine the unfortunate lady guests, including perhaps even Queen Victoria herself, blushing at first and then wincing as ever more enthusiastic toasts are raised at regimental dinners and cries of Faugh A Ballagh are uttered by the predominantly youthful male attendance. It might therefore be the case that Fal Agh Bagh evolved as a less troubling phrase to anglophone ears.

I'm sure you are all greatly relieved to see this pressing question receiving the attention it deserves.

Grey we thank you for that. We were all ears, not to say agog
Now we are open mouthed

Some might choose to think that, Mons Grey; I could not possibly comment

[esp after a night on the post-Hennessy razzle]

Thanks Grey.
Hope this doesn't mean I have left some eminent gaelic scholars beavering away on a translation that could resolve itself to be 'Male Organ Doing What it Does Best' - the embarrassment .........

Reminds me of the mother's letters to her son at boarding school, always signing off with 'love, kisses and KYBO'. A descendant , the son I think, named his horse KYBO.

MR2

Back