Another "Hen & Terry" horse with forum involvement

Wind And Dragons runs at Taunton today and Bally Conn at Huntingdon. Poor Lord H is so confused about which track to attend that he's going to neither.

Huntingdon off !!!!

They passed it at 10.30 then at 11.25 called a 12.00 inspection and abandoned, thats what you call excellent planning :laughing:

Despite passing the 10.30 inspection the meeting is off having failed a further inspection at 12.

If I recall Fiona Needham was involved in another controversial abandonment at Warwick earlier on in the year.

Absolutely appalling - hope she's rewarded with a defenestration after this one

I very nearly went, then didn't as still a bit under the weather after my soakings over the Hennessy w/e.
Feel really sorry for all who made the journey esp for owners paying boxing, petrol, day off work etc.
Mick Fitz was interviewed [while in his car driving back I expect] and came as close as he ever does to swearing -
had to get up to sweat off several lbs in the sauna at 6am, then ride out, then drive up there, all for nowt

Best of luck with Wind and Dragons and with Bally Conn if racing goes ahead!

Thanks. W&D ok but tad disappointing run. Hopefully we will have a change of luck in Ascot bumper a week on Saturday

What is the problem with Bally Conn, is there something the matter with him? He's been very disappointing since first outing.

Courtesy of Timeform:

"BALLY CONN (IRE) is stoutly bred and shaped like a thorough stayer at times over hurdles in 2006/7, but his soon being off the bridle here looked temperament related and he's best watched at present as a result, slowing into the first and then seeming to down tools from the tenth."

Not a great testimonial!

Do you think there might be a physical cause for his non-cooperation, or is he just a wrong'un?

Originally posted by Venusian@Dec 13 2007, 11:24 PM
Not a great testimonial!

Do you think there might be a physical cause for his non-cooperation, or is he just a wrong'un?
Sorry Ven ~ missed this earlier. There's absolutely nothing wrong with him physically, he just seems not to relish the battle. He's dropped himself out at similar stages of his last couple of races and he doesn't seem too keen to go out on a final circuit once he's passed the pulling up point. Perhaps if we could find a track with a 3 mile circuit we would have a star on our hands!

He runs at Uttoxeter today although very few of the partners will be there to watch him (once bitten, twice shy after Huntingdon for me). As I've said before, he's got plenty more ability than his mark suggests although he wouldn't be a betting proposition for me pre race. My prediction is that he'll race in touch going well for a circuit and a bit but will look to drop anchor racing away from the stands for the final time; however, if he keeps in touch until the entrance to the long straight then he could well spring a surprise.

Thanks, Rory.

What about running him on a track where the stables are not just past the winning post but further up the course, Lingfield perhaps, so he can be tricked into running his race?

Of course, he may just be trying to tell you he's a miler!

I know this is totally off topic, but its related to internet forum owned horses.

Anyway, a forum I visit in Australia named "Racing Australia" put together a syndicate earlier this year, and got a share in a horse named Douro Valley.
18 people put their hands up, and now have ownership of I believe 10% of the horse. At the beginning of the year the horse was a 5yo, and according to his trainer "going places." From the time the crew of 18, who all met randomly on this forum, the horse has done nothing but exceeded expectations.

In October of this year, Douro Valley gave them the biggest thrill of their lives, when he ran 2nd to his stablemate, Master O'Reilly, in the Group 1 $2.5 million Caulfield Cup. Also, in their first year of ownership, they could proudly boast they had a runner in the Melbourne Cup (he was 11th).

The horse has now won nearly $1 million in stakes, and is one of the leading contenders for the autumn carnival.

So just thought I'd give you all a heads up, and now am hoping and praying that another internet forum can be as successful as the Racing Australia team. I hope you guys and gals do get a good horse.

We are all ever hopeful, GA! That syndicate sounds like a dream one...

Many of us know that getting a horse onto the racetrack is sometimes a miracle in itself, to have one that runs well is brilliant, and to have one that wins a race is sometimes beyond our wildest dreams whichever racecourse or whatever grade of race it is.

Personally I have a dream that one of my Phoenix Reach foals is one day a winner and that I end up picking up the Breeders Prize of £10k too. :D

I did say it was a dream.............. shrug::

Bally Conn did run much better today with the headgear on. I am sure there is a win to be had with him. He seems genuine enough, he has a lovey big stride and jumped OK. He will be a big price when he does win!

Originally posted by Kathy@Dec 21 2007, 09:36 PM
Bally Conn did run much better today with the headgear on. I am sure there is a win to be had with him. He seems genuine enough, he has a lovey big stride and jumped OK. He will be a big price when he does win!
If he was unfit or just moderate I'd have taken some encouragement from the run but he wouldn't have blown a candle out after his recent races and is just "getting cute" as they say back home.

Uttoxeter now has the easiest fences in the country and I still thought he jumped like a pig ~ I really thought he tried his best not to get on with it but was well enough ridden by James Davies. He has ability and no lack of stamina so his continual pulling up like this is most disappointing.

All three horses I had shares in in the last six years were just the same - demolished the lot on the gallops, but no matter what the trainers tried in terms of headgear, distance, flat track, undulating, ground, jockey - you name it! - all three horses just didn't want to *race*.

And if they don't, I really can't see there is a thing to be done about it. One of 'mine' turned out to have a slight bleeding problem in his final race which might have been lurking - but even so, he'd had three years before that of being the 'morning glory' working with good horses and passing them easily on the gallops, but never doing it on course. It's hard to give up on them when they have shown that kind of talent........

It's a mental thing, maddeningly frustrating for owner/s and esp for trainers - but I don't think anything can change it. Such horses can have great careers as eventers etc - any discipline in which they are not asked to compete directly.

Back