Another sacred day at Kempton tomorrow...

I love horses, you love the sport, that's why I want him to be retired and you want him to be risked on a racecourse at any cost.

Seven Barrows are one of the elite operations in the sport and I have 110% faith they will do what's right for the horse.

How many jockeys in Barry's position would have pulled him up today? the man is just sheer class.

But your concern is misplaced. Having an irregular heartbeat is treatable, plus half the horses in training would be said to have an irregular heartbeat if tested after a race.

This 'irregularity' may well be more to do with one substance or another not clearing his system. But it seems that test will be delayed for a few more hours.

But your concern is misplaced. Having an irregular heartbeat is treatable, plus half the horses in training would be said to have an irregular heartbeat if tested after a race.

This 'irregularity' may well be more to do with one substance or another not clearing his system. But it seems that test will be delayed for a few more hours.

Give it a rest, half the horses in training have an irregular heartbeat lol? what world you living in.

Why did Henderson speak with more concern than ever prior to this race...yet the horse was said to be flying at home?

Give it a rest, half the horses in training have an irregular heartbeat lol? what world you living in.

After a race if tested the heartbeat of a horse is different to 'normal'. The point I'm making is that 'irregular heartbeat' is a term often used with no real precision and a diagnosis apparently made just after the race doesn't mean very much. We'll know more tomorrow when he is properly tested and may also see if any substance was responsible (if he is also tested for this).

Same applies to horses bursting from the lungs. If tested 'most' in fact will have been seen to burst to some extent (measured in fifths, five-fifths when the windpipe is full and blood is often seen coming from the nostrils). However, horses are not usually routinely tested after a race so this wouldn't naturally come to light unless visible evidence was apparent.

Why did Henderson speak with more concern than ever prior to this race...yet the horse was said to be flying at home?

The headlines in the Post about his worry about the going (even though he has won at Cheltenham in Heavy and the Champion Chase on Soft) do now smack a bit of a get out.

not having all the facts hasn't stopped you throwing accusations around though has it?;)

cracking thread this though..keep going its cracking

I'm not accusing anyone of anything. I happen to have a lot of time for Nicky. That doesn't mean I can't see why many are extremely sceptical about this.

We cannot base a retirement decision on what was said a couple of minutes after the race, when as far as we know there has been no sign of this before. Particularly so when I suspect there is nothing fundamentally wrong with him. We'll hopefully know more after he is looked at in the morning.

Unless it's from a medial journal or ScienceDirect then it's not worth reading.

Hopefully this veterinary medical link will help on Cardiac Arrhythmias in the Horse
http://vet.tufts.edu/sports/cardiac.html

Extract:
What is the prognosis for recovery from atrial fibrillation?
The prognosis is excellent (meaning that there is a 95% chance of recovery) if:
• The resting heart rate is less than 60 beats per minute
• The atrial fibrillation has been present for less than 4 months
• There is no associated heart murmur, or the murmur is of low intensity (grade 2 out of a possible 6, or less).
The prognosis is guarded to good (meaning that there is an 80% chance of recovery, but a 60% chance that the atrial fibrillation will return) if:
• The heart rate is greater than 60 beats per minute
• The atrial fibrillation has been present for more than 4 months
• There is an associated heart murmur that is grade 3 out of 6 or more.

Factors that may contribute to atrial fibrillation include:

Viral disease
Low potassium levels in the blood - this can occur secondary to using Lasix (a drug used in racehorses that are 'bleeders').
Anaemia
Colic

Last edited:
They'll come up with something minor to deflect the wrath of odds-on punters.

;)

That's not an accusation... You may want to read into it what you will. I couldn't possibly comment. But they clearly cannot offer no reason for pulling up.

I've already said of harsher views than this that the Jury is out.

Last edited:
Found a good journal on Science Direct, great pictures of what SVPC and VPC's look like on a heart monitor.

Journal of Equine Veterinary Science

Volume 33, Issue 8, August 2013, Pages 590–596

Cardiac Arrhythmias in Standardbreds During and After Racing—Possible Association Between Heart Size, Valvular Regurgitations, and Arrhythmias

Holy smoke. Are people really suggesting Nicky is avoiding a drug test? Even he is not that stupid.

Delaying a test a few more hours would be what anyone would do if they could. Especially if there was cause to believe that something might turn up.

Last edited:
Found a good journal on Science Direct, great pictures of what SVPC and VPC's look like on a heart monitor.

Journal of Equine Veterinary Science

Volume 33, Issue 8, August 2013, Pages 590–596

Cardiac Arrhythmias in Standardbreds During and After Racing—Possible Association Between Heart Size, Valvular Regurgitations, and Arrhythmias

This won't tell you anything that we haven't already. That the prognosis for recovery is very good (assuming of course that Sprinter Sacre has anything fundamentally wrong with him in the first place).

Last edited:
Back