Ante-Post Punting Plans/Propositions Thread.

I'm now really kicking myself that I let the busy-ness of this weekend distract me from one of my goals, ie to back Cap Du Nord for the big race next Saturday.

Needless to say, I've missed the 10/1 that was on offer this morning (to be honest, I thought it would be 3/1 anyway) but I've now taken 4/1 to twice what I had on Secret Reprieve.

I can see CDN going off at 6/4 unless Royale Pagaille turns up.

Last edited:
As expected, Royale Pagaille taken out. Cap Du Nord now 3/1 tops although not all bookies are pricing up the race just yet.

Grand card as ever for Trials day.
Initial thoughts are that most of the runners in the handicap chase are off stiff marks so the JP bottom feeder is the likeliest. Saint Calvados is tempting for the Cotswold at 6s and at the same price Annual Invictus is a bet in the Classic.

Grand card as ever for Trials day.
Initial thoughts are that most of the runners in the handicap chase are off stiff marks so the JP bottom feeder is the likeliest. Saint Calvados is tempting for the Cotswold at 6s and at the same price Annual Invictus is a bet in the Classic.

Have had my biggest bet for a wee while at the 6’s on Saint Calvados; strapped to the mast, and ready to go down with the ship, if it comes to it.

Last edited:
Only two firms still going 3/1. 11/4 and 5/2 generally.

Cap Du Nord, already raised 2lbs for standing in its box after Double Shuffle won the other week, has been raised another three following Royale Pagaille's win the other day.

He'll be those 3lbs officially well in come Saturday. I expect his price to be trimmed a little again once the professionals pick up on it. I reckon some will also look elsewhere for value, which might allow the price to hold. It's still a 6/4 shot for me.

Posted on the What Are You Backing Today thread but in expectation/hope of a good run by Allaho today this could be the last chance to get on the Skybet offer about Shishkin & Envoi Allen winning the Arkle & Marsh and Al Boum Photo, Allaho and Paisley Park placing in any race.

50/1 about something that is no bigger than 20/1 at best prices and facilitates a combination of win and place only in a straight line acca.

Last edited:
From the Longshot thread:

An ante-post longshot for the Festival:
Cepage 40/1 NRNB (PP) Ryanair

I'm coming up with G1 figures for his Chepstow win the other day. The Ryanair is his only current festival entry although it's possible he goes for a handicap instead, hence I took the lower odds with the concession.

It's arguably the hottest race of the meeting but if my figure is correct he wouldn't have many to fear, assuming they also run.

With the above in mind, I've taken 7/1 Cepage for his race on Saturday. If he's anywhere near as good as my figure for him is making out, he will be very hard to beat and if the Ryanair is the target he won't have to worry about blowing his mark.

Last edited:
Unsurprisingly Willie has the front three in the market for this, albeit all different owners.

I can't see them all going so who misses out ?. Fav Colreevy given that she's eligible for the Novice chases or maybe Benie staying over hurdles to take on another stable mate in Concertista ?

Colreevy could go to Limerick the week after Cheltenham.

Benie is going for the Stayers.

Last edited:
Benie is going for the Stayers.

I'd be surprised if she does. Although pleasantly surprised as I have an antepost voucher at 14/1.

Willie's method is to go for the easiest race so it looks the least likely of the three options you'd think. He must also be hugely tempted as must Ricci to win the inaugural Mares Chase with her. Ruby has name checked the race a couple of times too. I think she's go for the AMres Hurdle before she goes for the Stayers as well. It's a much easier race to win.

FWIW I hope she does. I just can't see it.

Anyone impressed with Sams Profile over in Ireland?

It looked like they went a solid gallop in that ground.

They drew a dozen lengths clear of the third horse, who was also third to Sire Du Berlais, (beaten 3.5 lengths) on its last start.

Sams Profile is in the Stayers Hurdle frame I'd have thought.

Ps, don't get me wrong, I'm a Ronald Pump fan, but what a run that was today from Sams Profile, with six weeks until the Festival.

He's going the right way at just the right time.

I'm going to have to take an anti-post price about him soon.

Last edited:
I'm sure it's on one of the threads but does anyone know when the Cheltenham handicap entires and then weights are due to be released?

Anyone impressed with Sams Profile over in Ireland?

It looked like they went a solid gallop in that ground.

They drew a dozen lengths clear of the third horse, who was also third to Sire Du Berlais, (beaten 3.5 lengths) on its last start.

Sams Profile is in the Stayers Hurdle frame I'd have thought.

Ps, don't get me wrong, I'm a Ronald Pump fan, but what a run that was today from Sams Profile, with six weeks until the Festival.

He's going the right way at just the right time.

I'm going to have to take an anti-post price about him soon.

Bottomless ground. Meh.

Bottomless ground. Meh.

There's no reason he won't act on better ground though, Slim. At least he has this win on the heavy ground on his CV.

This doesn't make him a bad horse...

He had new headgear on today, a hood I believe.

His two runs before today over fences weren't spectacular....you'd think he could improve again after today for Cheltenham..

Last edited:
There's no reason he won't act on better ground though, Slim. At least he has this win on the heavy ground on his CV.

This doesn't make him a bad horse...

He had new headgear on today, a hood I believe.

His two runs before today over fences weren't spectacular....you'd think he could improve again after today for Cheltenham..

I just think that's how good he is. Don't let me put you off.

I won't! :)

The sire Black Sam Bellamy won group 1s on good and soft ground.

Last edited:
The average rating of those with ratings today was about 147 and he's only won by half a length in a time nearly TWO MINUTES slow.

For me, that's not the kind of form I'd want to hang my hat on.

Back