Anybody got a portfolio for Cheltenham yet?

Wasn't me LOL

My portfolio for Cheltenham is SPRINTER SACRE and backing him every time I win a bit of dosh. So far I am averaging just over 3/1 having had a bit on at 4/1 and 7/2....If he is as much as entered in the 4 days you'll be lucky to get 2/1 and if he runs and wins anything you can forget evens.

Every bit of news so far has been positive so keeping my fingers crossed ;)

Would have doubts over this one. Not one I'd look to side with as an ap proposition

I wouldn't be putting my gaff on him for the cc either but any 7/2 will be an arb when he hacks up in the Tingle Creek.

That's what I mean about the books having it right.. Can't take 3-1 with all the question marks over SS.. I can't see any of the novices been good enough to win the QMCC

for me if you're gonna back SS have a saver on Simonsig. if SS doesn't come back to himself then i suspect NJH has the QM as a target for the grey. 20/1 last i saw.

I'm considering Annie Power for the Mares Hurdle. Mullins might be tempted after today when it was upgraded to Grade 1 Race.
If Annie lined up, she'd go off at odds on. Bit of 13/8 available now.

That is a long time to invest at such a price. 8 months at 13/8, with such a risk of injury is not for me. And she might go chasing.

Yeah it's a fair point. I've been blinded by my own thinking here maybe - thinking if she lines up She's a cert. However, with Quevega retired & the Mares now a Grade 1 - Willie might just be tempted. Unless he's happy to go for the Mares with Glens Melody again and as you say he sends Annie Power chasing.

I imagine this is only the beginning of the many Mullins Conundrums we will face this season!

for me if you're gonna back SS have a saver on Simonsig. if SS doesn't come back to himself then i suspect NJH has the QM as a target for the grey. 20/1 last i saw.

Good point but he is said to be very well and will be aimed at the King George and a drop back to 2 miles is extremely doubtful if SS continues to thrive and that comes straight from the same source who said Binocular wouldn't run in the Champion Hurdle he won :lol:

Truth is all I have been told is they both are well and look like coming back but it's all guess work and finger crossing as no one really knows until they run.

I've backed Simonsig for the King George and if he were to win I'd be in front so it's fingers crossed and hope for the best.

It might be setting fire to it. But I have had to nibble at Simonsig at 30s for the Gold Cup. One of the few at a big price that could go off favourite.

Agree he could shorten, DJ, but I'd be wanting a much bigger price myself, for a horse coming off 18-months rest, and a question mark over the trip. Not sure there's a great deal of upside in that price - you need an awful lot to go his way, and others appeal more at similar odds. It's not like his Arkle worked out particularly well (though should be better over further).

Not sure about the Festival but the horse I'm most looking forward to watching is the Tom George trained Chartreux. Failed to make the cut for the Sandown Gold Cup by one horse where he would have hacked up, but has a lovely mark for the Hennessy at Newbury in November. I could win the Tote Ten To Follow with a horse like this. :)

Last edited:
I tell you what, this is a brave proposal to a jumps student of your ilk, but I'll have a match bet with you when the compo kicks off on this place, about who finishes higher up the table at end of play.

I'm off for a summer break now, or rather some restbite from the flat shite, but will be back in October to lay you 500 pound at evens if you finish ahead of me? I'll try and get Delargy to play banker if you fancy it.

Last edited:
The problem here is that it can lead to 'Waco Kid Syndrome'; where every punk-ass kid in Dodge wants to take a pop at the Sheriff. It could get high maintenence.

However, I might be drawn in, if the sugar is sweet enough. IM me with your intended stake, and I'll let you know if it is enough to give me an interest.

Last edited:
Why would you want to back a horse for this now? It's a criminal use of punting funds.

Why would you want to back a horse for this now? It's a criminal use of punting funds.

If you're tying-up lumpy bits of capital on shorties, then I agree. But if you're dabbling in tenners and scores at three-figure odds, then I don't. :cool:

Last edited:
Get a life - sad to be thinking about Cheltenham - rather like a kid with a birthday in June longing for Christmas.

In what way is it sad? Some people genuinely don't give a sh*it about the Flat season - you need to get over it.

I'm quite happy to leave you to your Flattie threads throughout the summer, and have long since (I'm talking years) stopped yanking the chains of the contibutors, because there was no sport left in it.

If you want to discuss the Flat, then clear-off back to those threads. Indeed, why post at all, when this one is clearly sign-posted as being about the Festival?

:cool:

Last edited:
Back