Anybody got a portfolio for Cheltenham yet?

Can someone point me in the direction of anything that Simonsig has ever done that justifies the hype about him?

Not saying he can't - just saying he hasn't yet - made to work quite hard by Baily Green who is useful at best and off the track for a year and a half?

Can someone point me in the direction of anything that Simonsig has ever done that justifies the hype about him?

Not saying he can't - just saying he hasn't yet - made to work quite hard by Baily Green who is useful at best and off the track for a year and a half?

He might never cone back but he was an absolute beast. He jumped badly in that Arkle.

How was he a monster though - there's no form in the book to suggest that yet.

A 49l beating of Surpius (who?). Now rated 96.

A 35l beating in desperate ground of a heavily eased Hinterland.

Don't get the hype at present.

How was he a monster though - there's no form in the book to suggest that yet.

A 49l beating of Surpius (who?). Now rated 96.

A 35l beating in desperate ground of a heavily eased Hinterland.

Don't get the hype at present.
his chase form has never really had chance to get off the ground with only 3 runs and 2 of them pretty much schooling sessions.

his arkle win looks a rancid renewal with the only real danger never enjoying the conditions but he clearly wasn't right that day and did just about everything wrong in the race bar hitting the deck.

his hurdle form has more substance to it. the neptune probably the high point with the way he dispatched felix yonger.

he looked a tank but whether he'll come back the same it's impossible to say. i'd also worry about his ability to settle in a longer distance race.

Simonsig scoped dirty after the Arkle. The fact he was still able to win is impressive.

Weird as it may sound, for me it was during his only defeat and the way he travelled all over Fingal Bay at Sandown in his novice hurdle campaign.

He didn't see it through that day and there were minor signs that he was coming back to Felix and Baily Green in the two Cheltenham wins so I will, for the time being at least, have slight reservations as to what he finds off the bridle.

But that is nit picking as he clearly has an unbelievable engine and if 100% back then he will shake up Cue Card and Silviniaco Conti no end at Kempton.

As Tanlic says, his price would then shorten considerably for the Gold Cup - but I wouldn't be in a rush to back him post December with the hill and extra yardage to consider. However getting on now with a view to trading off isn't a bad idea.

Unless we never see him again of course :ninja:

This thread is already a disgrace. It's August FFS!

:lol:

The festival is always at the back of our minds I reckon
Im hoping to start a new a new job in the next couple of months and my main worry is when is the right time to ask for the week off in March! :D

Im hoping to start a new a new job in the next couple of months and my main worry is when is the right time to ask for the week off in March! :D

This should have been thrashed out before the interview even started.
:cool:

I asked the question, "What is the holiday situation like during the 2nd week in March?" at the interview for my current job!

Last edited:

Three days in you ask your new boss - "Did HR tell you about my holidays?"

He/She'll say "No" (of course), at which point you tell him/her.

It's a 33/1 chance the conversation goes any further.

Mullins does sometimes run his horses against each other in the big races but it definitely won't happen with Ricci's horses.

CF is the concern. Vautour will be in the Arkle. I'll quote this to remind you on the day :D

Nick Mordin wrote after the Kempton Novice Chase that Simonsig on his figures "would be a match for any horse on any ground over any distance "
He may even have included over hurdles or fences but I cannot swear to the latter. Mordin I know is a source for much swearing here but there you go.

It makes more sense at the prices to back him for the QM than any other race. Has to be a decent chance SS will return a shadow of his former self.

Nick Mordin wrote after the Kempton Novice Chase that Simonsig on his figures "would be a match for any horse on any ground over any distance "
He may even have included over hurdles or fences but I cannot swear to the latter. Mordin I know is a source for much swearing here but there you go.

Simonsig is a machine - though don't ask SC what I told him when he asked should we hedge our Supreme Novices bets!

FWIW he'll win the Champion Chase if he runs in it, a year stronger and he'd have a massive chance in a Gold Cup too.

Martin

Was it Mordin that said something similar about Felix Yonger aswel?

Back