Anybody got a portfolio for Cheltenham yet?

ajax trees down

At the Start
Just wondered how early ppl start plotting and planning.. Looking at the key markets I think the books have it about right? Last year my first AP bet was September!!

Thanks to Angel Gabrial's win in the Plate I have a tidy position on Josses Hill in the Arkle and the odd schilling on the Gold Cup but nothing else. I tend to back a couple as soon as prices come out and then leave it till the Autumn.

Few bits down but I'd rather find the Hennessy, paddy Power, Tingle Creek John Durkan, James Nicholson and King George winner for now

Last edited:
Small money on Holywell but doubt I'll back anything else until November

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Champagne Fever at 20/1ew for the Gold Cup. Decent bet
Jezki- Champion Hurdle Average at 9.5 Betfair so 8/1 real. Small stake.

I shovelled a few kopeks on Vautour for the Champion Hurdle, and a few less kopeks onto Hurricane Fly for the World Hurdle (well what did you expect?). I've also thrown a few quid at O'Foailains Boy in the Gold Cup market.

I know what I want to back in the Novice Chase markets, but the High Street prices are a bit thinner than I'd like, so will wait until Betfair get their sheeyit together and see what's what then.

I emailed Betfair in June asking them about their lack of markets and they said it would be late summer before they introduced some of the other races. I can't understand their reluctance given they have the Ascot Gold Cup up already.

I think the Gold Cup thread this winter is going to be the new Champion Hurdle thread.

Completely. Although they are double figure prices the prominance in the betting of Bob's Worth and Conti looks daft to my eyes. I'm in the Champagne and Taquin camp at present.

It's rare for the Gold Cup to be the race of the Festival, please god they all get to there.

Last edited:
ma filleule tiger roll briar hill silver concorde. £10 ew 4 fold ... just for retirement money.

Probably won't take an interest until about a week before, but I get the feeling that Faugheen might end up in the Arkle.

Did not expect him to be 10's when I checked.

I dont have any bets so far,
I am waiting until Ruby walsh decides if un des sceaux bypasses the 2105 .......

I took Holywell at 50/1 just after he won at this year's meeting. I think that's all so far.

You are nicely-positioned there, DO.

I rather regret backing OFB for the race, after seeing Holywell bounce-up at both Cheltenham then Aintree. i really like his chance, and I suspect I will follow you in soon enough. There lots to like about that horse - he's the type of ballsy type you want for the race.

You lads have got me going now, I think il spend the weekend looking at all the championship races and stick a few L15 on to keep me going through the summer

Between Cheltenham and Aintree, and after listening to the sages on here, I also took bits of 50/1 win and ew about Holywell. I'm now less hopeful about the 6/1 I took about The New One at the same time.
The race that I like is the World Hurdle because there are quite a few near the top of the betting that are unlikely to run. If More Of That is given another season over hurdles on his way to the 2017 Gold Cup, he'll be much shorter than 7/2 when/if it's announced. If he makes the race he'll probably be close to even money on the day. Of the rest, only Beat That (14/1) and Briar Hill (12/1) look likely to run with a chance. I do have a little on More Of That but will almost certainly look to get on the right side of the other two.

Last edited:
Do not forget "The Culloty Factor" when making calculations.
He is just marking time before his next onslaught in 2015 !
Spring Heeled his tentative Grand National hope for the season.
The Ghost of MVOBrien spirits it's way around Clashgannive still !

Wasn't me LOL

My portfolio for Cheltenham is SPRINTER SACRE and backing him every time I win a bit of dosh. So far I am averaging just over 3/1 having had a bit on at 4/1 and 7/2....If he is as much as entered in the 4 days you'll be lucky to get 2/1 and if he runs and wins anything you can forget evens.

Every bit of news so far has been positive so keeping my fingers crossed ;)

Back