Arc 2010

Did I read correctly in the Irish Field that the Arc is being sponsored by Qatar Racing until 2012 with the prize fund guaranteed at over €5 million by 2017. That's some sponsorship coup for them. Also Longchamp closing for a year and moving the race to Chantilly. Interesting.

Workforce has shortened up again for the Arc.

If he takes part and they get him to settle (they've tried some sort of rubber kit on him) and he's in the sort of form that won him the Derby, he'll run a big race. A few too many ifs for me though at the price.

Last edited:
He was bigger a few days back.

I wouldn't like to have lumped on him at 7/2 or 4s! Was tempted myself at 5s but procrastinated (see: lost money on other things instead) and had a few shillings at 8. Unless something has gone wrong, he is a very nice price.

Last edited:
In fact, I think 12 was being asked for for quite a few days which made me think he had some kind of doubt around him. Could have been just not much money around, I can't remember that. Regardless, it's a Group 1 and I wouldn't be worried if I had backed him at shorter. Do you fancy him?

In fact, I think 12 was being asked for for quite a few days which made me think he had some kind of doubt around him./QUOTE]

As referred to earlier, Fame's price went out because of speculation that Cape Blanco was more likely to represent. But this is not good logic to me. Now that people realise Fame is still on target with no problems the price is stabilising and coming back in.

As referred to earlier, Fame's price went out because of speculation that Cape Blanco was more likely to represent. But this is not good logic to me. Now that people realise Fame is still on target with no problems the price is stabilising and coming back in.

Not sure you've got that right Steve - I don't think anyone thought Cape Blanco would replace Fame as Ballydoyle's Arc runner, more there was/is the possiblity he will run in addition to him.

Also, no sign of the money coming back in for him - he's currently 8.8 to back on Betfair, more or less double what he was a few weeks back.

Last edited:
Not sure you've got that right Steve - I don't think anyone thought Cape Blanco would replace Fame as Ballydoyle's Arc runner, more there was/is the possiblity he will run in addition to him.

Also, no sign of the money coming back in for him - he's currently 8.8 to back on Betfair, more or less double what he was a few weeks back.

Well it depends how you read it of course. But Fame's price got bigger following CB's win in Ireland and speculation that CB would run in the Arc, but has stabilised since they've been talking of dropping CB back in trip.

Well it depends how you read it of course. But Fame's price got bigger following CB's win in Ireland and speculation that CB would run in the Arc, but has stabilised since they've been talking of dropping CB back in trip.

I don't know when they talked about him dropping in trip - they left CB in the QEII but stated he would only be a possible if something went wrong with RIP and that the Arc was still the plan.

I don't know when they talked about him dropping in trip - they left CB in the QEII but stated he would only be a possible if something went wrong with RIP and that the Arc was still the plan.

So in other words they are stongly suggesting that he would not be inconvenienced by stepping back in trip. All of this is a bit of a smoke screen anyway, as they have been at pains to emphasise CB's speed over stamina for their own agenda, something they appear to have given up on with Fame.

Last edited:
8.8 Fame And Glory on Betfair. Ladbrokes have "pushed" him out to 9/2. I am genuinely suspicious now.

8.8 Fame And Glory on Betfair. Ladbrokes have "pushed" him out to 9/2. I am genuinely suspicious now.

Bigger prices than 9/2 are freely available though. I wouldn't worry about it. He'll be shorter than this when they line up.

He's probably the best trading prospect in the race as you can see him coming down by at least a couple of points when O'Brien mentions him in an interview again.

It is begining to remind me of Duke Of Marmalade - looked great all season, misses the Irish Champion and never really the same again. Hope I am wrong but I was really surprised that he missed the IC and this drift is begining to make me think it may not have been intentional.

Bigger prices than 9/2 are freely available though. I wouldn't worry about it. He'll be shorter than this when they line up.

I'm deeply worried that Ladbrokes have found it necessary to push him out half a point. It's the equviliant of another booker going 10/1.

I'm deeply worried that Ladbrokes have found it necessary to push him out half a point. It's the equviliant of another booker going 10/1.

I wouldn't be too worried. Ladbrokes won't be taking much for him at this price, as you can easily get bigger elsewhere. Probably just adjusting so they don't look too stingy. I expect his price to steadily contract now as we approach the race, when first-choice jockey is confirmed for him and they reiterate he has never been better, etc, etc.

Last edited:
The Duke of Marmalade comparison is wrong as that horse had been all the go all spring and summer and it was obvious he wouldn't be anywhere near his peak. If Paul Nicholls can get Denman in peak condition first time out then I don't see why O'Brien can't do the same for an animal who was always gonna have this race as his main target.

The Duke of Marmalade comparison is wrong as that horse had been all the go all spring and summer and it was obvious he wouldn't be anywhere near his peak. If Paul Nicholls can get Denman in peak condition first time out then I don't see why O'Brien can't do the same for an animal who was always gonna have this race as his main target.

I too don't believe missing the Irish race will have done him any harm at all. It may even turn out to be an advantage. (Nevertheless some will naturally worry that there is a more sinister reason for him missing it.)

The horse has looked very well to me this season and looks to be approaching his peak and even a reproduction of the Coronation Cup should see him there or therabouts.

Anyone else find Timeform gone quite a long way over the top rating Behkabad and Planteur 130 and 129 respectively?

Back