Arkle

Just looking at the race again tonight, I'm still relatively keen to oppose Tatenen and Calgary Bay (though he is probably the best long-term prospect in the race).

Araldur still interests me at 20/1 standout with Coral. Sandown form took a pretty severe when Free World blew out badly at Ascot, but I still think the race could suit and 20/1 certainly looks too big.

I've also had an interest in Kalahari King at 12's. Hasn't really been tested over fences yet (despite getting turned over at Haydock) but his form from last year reads well and Murphy seems to be bringing him along nicely with the race in mind. The big fear would be that the days of genuine good ground prevailing at the Festival are probably gone.

Any other thoughts? Looks an average enough renewal.

Given the weather this year, I'm keeping all antepost bets very modest this time - I don't think we can have any clear idea of a horse's chances, evne more so than usual, til we know aobut the ground and therefore whether the last few weeks' races have any reliable bearing on form

Araldur still interests me at 20/1 standout with Coral. Sandown form took a pretty severe when Free World blew out badly at Ascot, but I still think the race could suit and 20/1 certainly looks too big ... Looks an average enough renewal.

I've had my eye on him since last summer. He stays a bit further than a bare 2m, which is always a positive for this race.

Indeed, redhead. The 2m4f of the Scilley Isles should suit him to a tee tommorrow.

Not sure it's a positive in the context of the Arkle though!

Indeed, redhead. The 2m4f of the Scilley Isles should suit him to a tee tommorrow.

Not sure it's a positive in the context of the Arkle though!

He has a bit of pace too, so that little bit of extra stamina - like Master Minded - is an advantage when facing the hill at the end of a fast-run 2m. Don't forget, Moscow Flyer whilst having a very high cruising speed and a fearsome finishing kick had sufficient stamina to win over 2m4f as well, which I am positive gave him a massive advantage.

I'm not putting Araldur in the same class, but just being able to do a bare 2m at a fast pace does not seem to be quite enough for the Festival.

I would be concerned for araldurs future, to me he looked like another winter in a field would have suited him. Leggy and immature looking.

Haven't seen him in the flesh, Sheikh, but yes, he did look as though he has some filling out to do - but then so did Well Chief, who was also a 5yo when he won the Arkle.

Not a comparison or justification, btw, just an observation. The modern trend is to race 'em young. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't - just hope no damage is done.

Alan King's not one to be pushed by owners into doing what is wrong for the horse.
If he is doubt I'm sure he will advise waiting with the horse, esp after today

araldur still interests me at 20/1 standout with coral. Sandown form took a pretty severe when free world blew out badly at ascot, but i still think the race could suit and 20/1 certainly looks too big.

:(

i've also had an interest in kalahari king at 12's. Hasn't really been tested over fences yet (despite getting turned over at haydock) but his form from last year reads well and murphy seems to be bringing him along nicely with the race in mind. The big fear would be that the days of genuine good ground prevailing at the festival are probably gone.

:)

Kalahari King keeps adding to his reputation in by book. The 16`s available a week ago looks outstanding now .Panjo Bere a( 16`s ) and Golden Silver (20`s ) look good savers

What form has Kalahari King to be the price he is for the Arkle?

I am negative about quite a few to be honest.

Anyone with any strong opinions?

The only thing that has got me mildly interested in what is usually my favourite race is Calgary Bay's jumping at speed in his penultimate run at Cheltenham.

I can find reasons why any amount of horses wont win this years arkle but not one reason as to why any certain horse will win

For the record im on golden silver at around 50/1

Scratchings for the novice races should be revealed later today. Tried to find the updated cards on the Cheltenham website but no show yet. They have published the Timeform ratings for the top 10 or so in each list, though.

Scratchings for the novice races should be revealed later today. Tried to find the updated cards on the Cheltenham website but no show yet. They have published the Timeform ratings for the top 10 or so in each list, though.

Hi i cant get the timeform ratings for each list am i doing something wrong:confused:

What form has Kalahari King to be the price he is for the Arkle?

I am negative about quite a few to be honest.

Anyone with any strong opinions?

The only thing that has got me mildly interested in what is usually my favourite race is Calgary Bay's jumping at speed in his penultimate run at Cheltenham.

Maybe it's the doubts surrounding the favourite Tatenan that have Kalahari King so short?? Agree that it's a hard race to really fancy anything too strongly at this stage. An e/w bet on Jayo for me. He jumped terribly the last day, but am prepared to give him another try, especially at the prices quoted:whistle:

10/1 for the highest rated horse in the race isn't bad, yet something is putting me off backing I'msingingtheblues. I don't know what it is. He's done nothing wrong and his win last time was very good.

I've lost patience with Forpady and I can see at least one or two being too good for him again.

The puzzling goes on...

yet something is putting me off backing I'msingingtheblues.

The puzzling goes on...

I don't think Imsingingtheblues jumping is good enough. I certainly wasn't impressed on either of his last 2 runs this season. The day he beat Calgary bay, CG's jumping was by far and away the better and has improved most since.

I agree with it being a puzzle. As Granger said i can put reasons for most at the top of the market not to win, can't find an outstanding candidate. Having said that, every time i look at the market i instantly disregard Tatenen beause of his Leopardstown run. If you could excuse that something was clearly amiss that day, Tatenen could be the answer....Cue the list of reasons why he can't win....

I don't think Imsingingtheblues jumping is good enough. I certainly wasn't impressed on either of his last 2 runs this season. The day he beat Calgary bay, CG's jumping was by far and away the better and has improved most since.

I agree with it being a puzzle. As Granger said i can put reasons for most at the top of the market not to win, can't find an outstanding candidate. Having said that, every time i look at the market i instantly disregard Tatenen beause of his Leopardstown run. If you could excuse that something was clearly amiss that day, Tatenen could be the answer....Cue the list of reasons why he can't win....

I didn't see the race against Calgary Bay but his last run being in handicap company I'm inclined to forgive a novice any errors. Like I said, I think that was a good performance.

I do agree that Calgary Bay looked a natural around Cheltenham. I don't think the drop in trip will affect his jumping. I feel it's just a case of whether he is quick enough. I thought he was a little disappointing at Ascot, but he did lug left a bit that day.

Tatenen has always been too short for me, though I'm certain we didn't see the best of him at Leopardstown. My feeling about him is that he may need another year of filling out. I think he'll need further than two miles in time as well.

Calgary Bay will have the services of AP, which cheers me up no end - I'll sit on my bet now

Tatenen didn't appear to run as if something were amiss in Ireland. If anything he could maybe have forced the pace a bit more from further out. He battled on really well.

Regarding the Doncaster race where I'msingingtheblues beat Calgary Bay, it looked clear to me that the former outbattled the latter on the run in. After Calgary Bay looked the likely winner with momentum at the final fence, he hung in behind on the flat.

Back