Arse Cup

I know there are people around, one who used to post on here, who think that Richard Hills is a God in the saddle

I'd be in that club. Tactically, he's the best around for me but he is vulnerable to the odd shitter, Etlaala a few years ago in the Lennox was a blinding balls up but I also remember some of his rides on Akmal, Fareer and Arcano in recent years which were epic.

Ardross: name me one presenter who isn't! I can't think of one from any channel who's gone up to XYZ and said, "Well, that was a fiasco! What on earth were your instructions to your jockey? Look as stupid as you can, and ruin any chance of a win?"

Every single presenter - whether we love, like, or hate 'em, never, ever, ever, ever, ever says an uncomplimentary word to them, or their owners.

But we've had this wrangle before (probably pages ago on this topic): it's not the job of presenters to be critical. That's up to the talking heads on panels, and racing journalists. Not presenters. So don't expect anything any different from them. They're in front of the cameras to say 'well done' to the winning connections or to get an insight or two. Finito.

It’s probably been mentioned on here before, but last night I was watching some racing on Sky Plus having been on hol for a while, and Big Mac did his usual post race “returned at 7-2 favourite, 6-1 with Ladbrokes and Hills this morning, just 9-2 with Coral; THEY KNEW!...”

It winds me up, as it implies to the casual viewer that the race was fixed, whereas in fact what happened is that Coral’s odds compilers simply thought the horse had a slightly better chance of winning than the other firms.

Ardross: name me one presenter who isn't! I can't think of one from any channel who's gone up to XYZ and said, "Well, that was a fiasco! What on earth were your instructions to your jockey? Look as stupid as you can, and ruin any chance of a win?"

Every single presenter - whether we love, like, or hate 'em, never, ever, ever, ever, ever says an uncomplimentary word to them, or their owners.

But we've had this wrangle before (probably pages ago on this topic): it's not the job of presenters to be critical. That's up to the talking heads on panels, and racing journalists. Not presenters. So don't expect anything any different from them. They're in front of the cameras to say 'well done' to the winning connections or to get an insight or two. Finito.

Old Big Ears Julian Wilson did used to be rather more penetrating in the old days . There is a difference between not being critical and fawning and Duggan fawns in a repellent manner

Duckie - JW was probably two decades ago! Tempus has fugited a lot since then and you have presenters now who are far from the rather patrician types like Wilson, and who was far grander than most of the trainers he poked a mike at.

Only watching the racing now after a late shift but Francome's comments on SNA before the Ormonde displayed a breathtaking lack of any sort of form analysis or knowledge of the trainer's ways. I suppose that's the problem with having to have some view on every race televised.

Francome hardly has to worry about that - think of people like Steve Mellish or Lydia Hislop on RUK, and you can't hear yourself think for the stats and insights they rattle off. If that's what you're supposed to know, then you should know it. If not, stick to what you know best. Which might only consist of saying how someone should ride a particular horse.

C4 has surpassed previous performances today. Thommo on Hurricane Higgins at Lingfield.... "and would'nt it be topical if Hurricane Higgins won with Alex Higgins dying a couple of years ago". Then Holt calls the wrong horse home until near the line in the Victoria Cup and Cattermole gets the fourth home wrong.

At least Cattermole redeemed himself with the link to Emma Spencer to interview Gary Bartley "lets find out what it felt like on top..., Emma?"

Must have been something about that race, on ATR Richard Hoiles was calling Horseradish as the likely winner a furlong out rather than Hawkeyethenoo.

At least Richard apologised for his gaffe.

Haven't heard said commentaries but what bugs me is when they make an error and you watch the replay and they have re done the commentary.

Prime example Martin Harris (who again rarely makes an error) called Willandrich Willandchris at Aintree on Friday but strangely didn't in the replay.

At least Richard apologised for his gaffe.

Haven't heard said commentaries but what bugs me is when they make an error and you watch the replay and they have re done the commentary.

Prime example Martin Harris (who again rarely makes an error) called Willandrich Willandchris at Aintree on Friday but strangely didn't in the replay.

Yes I bet Cattermole and Aussie Jim will be pissed off if apologising for gaffes sets a precedent they will have to do it two or three times a raceday .

HOG ON THE HILL repeatedly called HIGH ON THE HOG, not called by Cattermole, Aussie Jim, or Shouty. Not sure if it wasn't John Hunt, another from the falsetto brigade.

Thommo for the usual Mystic Meg 'joke' at Yarmouth.

It wasn't funny the first time & it's not funny the 550th time either!!

Only name dropped 4 times during the race,standards are slipping.

I can almost.....almost.......understand why Thommo retains his television role; a roving, jovial buffoon being practically a de riguer requirement for programmes hoping to have "mass appeal".

But can someone explain to me HTF he retains a position as a race-course commentator? Thankfully, his appearances during the Jumps season are infrequent, but when I've inadvertently happen-chanced upon his Flat commentaries, he has been utter, utter, utter, utter shite....with a capital "Sh"

Whoever was calling Downpatrick's leading horse as METAL MASTER until it became clear it wasn't, when it miracled into the winner, MR SPRINGER. Ah, Jayz, the power of that holy water!

I realise that Ireland has monster fields, but when a horse has been lugging along in front for well over a mile, surely you can have a quick sneaky-peek at your colours or whatever personal system you use for recognition?

Every time Chapman's in the booth on ATR he has relentlessly flogged to death the whip issue (very pro its use for "encouraging" horses). He's just really made a twat of himself on the phone-in by stating that if it can't be used, then jockeys will 'do serious damage' to the ribs of horses by kicking them more. Oh, yes, so many horses have been kicked to death by riders...

I don't mind him having a strong view on the issue, but I think he's abusing his position as a racing presenter to use the booth every time he's in it now to bang on and on about how there'd be no way a horse would've won or jumped without being whacked.

I never used a whip to 'encourage' (in less twee wording, to hit a horse to make it go faster) - you're trained to use your legs, ffs, before you ever use one, anyway, as you are your hands. You can drop a whip - and what the hell does he think jockeys rely on then?

He keeps on about it only being Big Mac "and his horrible attitude to women" (an attempt at a bit of pernicious thought association there) who wants the whip dropped, and makes up fictitious numbers of people who don't.

He seemed to be having a 'pop' at just about everyone and everything today, complaining that Kelso didn't hold the start of a race because of a clash of times and he went on to say "if I was in charge" (to paraphrase) and I just shuddered!!:blink:

Still a very strong candidate to pick up the prize.

Yes, if he were a woman there'd be accusations of days of the month, etc. Perhaps he's been dumped/failed to score - it's bound to be hormonal.

He keeps on about it only being Big Mac "and his horrible attitude to women"...QUOTE]

Yet Big Mac was the only one on the Morning Line who spoke up for the air hostess whom Timmy Murphy assaulted whilst under the influence. The other men were all sympathising with him for being sent down.

Didn't JinnyJ mention a friend of hers who went out with / knew Chappers and how he behaved towards her/her friend?

Last edited:
Back