Arse Cup

No - not when you have advertised it as the racing being on. Why should we have to play second best to tennis - I love tennis and support Murray but its still the wrong way round and I have emailed them to complain.

No - not when you have advertised it as the racing being on. Why should we have to play second best to tennis - I love tennis and support Murray but its still the wrong way round and I have emailed them to complain.

But they didn't know the schedule for the tennis until last night I believe. We should all be relieved they have the red button thing going on.

The only consolation is at least all you are missing in between the races is the usual fashion bollocks,I mean who wants race analysis & previews.
The fashion reminds me why when Royal Ascot is on in a couple of weeks time I'll settle for watching the race replays on ATR's website.

My red button (I thought it was supposed to work on cable?) didn't work, but I was happy enough to see Murray mutter his chances away in lieu of the usual inane twittering in between races. Who was the little girl in the blue lacy dress sent out to do the walk-up interview after the races?

Okay, as if his monotonous droning throughout his race calls isn't bad enough, Des Scahill totally ignored Willy Supple pulling up his horse after barely a furlong in the 5.30 - it was only after they'd passed the line that he appeared to notice it and say 'all but pulled up at the back there' when Willy had yanked its teeth out to try and stop. Don't know what the problem was, but it's your job, Desperate Des, to call the whole field during racing - not something you usually miss doing, over and over - not just those you can cope with. Oh, God, please, RTE, get shot of him and let someone new and a bit brighter take over. I'm assuming that after roll-calling 30 slow jumps horses, he's caught out by the speed of far fewer on the Flat.

when i went to the red button channel..its 301...it was tennis on both that and beeb 2..this is totally unnecessary...you only need one channel per event..no matter what its importance

Last edited:
No, I don't have Sky. I have Virgin cable - we don't have a communal sat dish at the flats and aren't allowed to put up individual ones. I think I've got some Freeview channels chucked in with the Virgin package, but I have a set-top box from them and no Freeview box as such. The odd thing is, I used the red button on ATR and got taken to a betting site.

No, I don't have Sky. I have Virgin cable - we don't have a communal sat dish at the flats and aren't allowed to put up individual ones. I think I've got some Freeview channels chucked in with the Virgin package, but I have a set-top box from them and no Freeview box as such. The odd thing is, I used the red button on ATR and got taken to a betting site.

trust you to be posh..cable eh? ;)

I can't wait for Scotland to become independent as at least that means their tennis players should no long be "British interest" (although, of course, Murray was fostered by our tennis association). I have Virgin cable and Freeview; in both cases, the red button offered me tennis and nothing else, Freeview citing technical problems. And tennis a bigger sport - how many people go?

EC1: you know me so well - champagne tastes and beer money these days, though. With finances veering towards the cliff edge, I've had to stop RUK and reduce the 'package' to L instead of XL! Once I'm shot of the flat I'll go grandee again with RUK and XXXL coverage of everything from everywhere. Ah yes, indoor skeet shooting from Ulan Bator - fabulous!

I do love tv, though - when I could afford all sorts of channels, it was lovely watching Dexter and The Wire, among others. I see loads of references to some good new dramas and can't wait to get back to a widened choice. But it's a far cry from being out on the streets (although I'm not counting that out if this lark goes on much longer!) with a cardboard box for cover. I'll just try to make sure it's a very smart cardboard box!

have you been watching The Shadow Line Kri..really good?..why its been on bbc2 and not 1 is another mystery

.I hope there isn't a tiddlywinks championship happening somewhere this afternoon..because i would hate to be watching the Derby with a splitscreen showing the key flip taking place

Last edited:
have you been watching The Shadow Line Kri..really good?..why its been on bbc2 and not 1 is another mystery

.I hope there isn't a tiddlywinks championship happening somewhere this afternoon..because i would hate to be watching the Derby with a splitscreen showing the key flip taking place

Shadow Line is excellent; Rafe Spall is a hoot.
Luther due back shortly, if half as good as the first series, this will be another treat.

I have indeed been watching The Shadow Line, EC, but last show I nearly had hysterics as it went off into high camp/spoofland with not just Stephen Rea doing Quietly Menacing Evil, but Anthony Sher (I still see him as the horrifically hunched Richard III on crutches, lurching about the stage) also going for QME, and Rafe Spall slightly overdoing the "Me, I'm Mad, Me" Staring With Quietly Menacing Evil. Come on, lads, how much Quietly Menacing Evil can one take in one series? Leave a bit over for the next one!

As for Luther, I'm a huge Idris Elba fan, and pined pathetically when he was bumped off, along with 99.5% of the cast, in The Wire: the only sharp-dressed man, and he gets the boom-boom treatment. No justice! And then later found out he's not American at all, but from good ole Lunnun town - terrific accent work there, totally believable.

Last edited:
Don't know if this should be on this thread but a well known Arse is mentioned.

Beautiful moment on RUK, David Elsworth, talking about The Queen's horse in the Derby, suggested that McCririck should be ignored on the subject as "he spouts a load of bollocks".:)

Last edited:
Carson has reached new depths over the last two days . Why they do not pension off this irritating twit escapes me

Major Whoops! moment for John Hunt, shrieking home CRACKERJACK KING in France - uh, no, John. True, the horse is grey, as is the winner, but wearing entirely different silks, if only you'd referred to your card before the race.

Major Whoops! moment for John Hunt, shrieking home CRACKERJACK KING in France - uh, no, John. True, the horse is grey, as is the winner, but wearing entirely different silks, if only you'd referred to your card before the race.

It was put up on the sporting life website as the winner as well before being quickly corrected - also went 1.06 on betfair :ninja:

Sorry, Martin - I've called the wrong caller, haven't I?!! (Barty, even more shrieky than Hunt, if that's possible!)

Yes, only the French Derby - not that it's an important race to get wrong... !

(RELIABLE MAN the winner with Gerald Mosse merely giving the index-finger salute and a big grin. So restrained!)

Last edited:
Back