Arse Cup

i've let WC off a few times..i'd be typing here all day if i wrote them all down..but he just said Ahern don't ride many for Swinburn..he's the fifth most riding jockey for Swinburn..6/51

The camera work for the Hunt Cup was rubbish. They held a long view nearly the whole way, no close-ups until they were entering the final furlong. You would have needed binoculars to make out most of the colours.

Perhaps the poor shots these days are because the BBC does so little racing coverage now that their camera crews are out of practice? I remember Clare Balding having to actually tell her cameraman to look at the horse she was talking about because all the time she was giving some very interesting points on its conformation and how to spot fitness, he was focused on her.

Apparently the Beeb are planning to either drastically cut down or completely cut out all sport coverage. Only saw the headline, has anyone else read more?

Patten reported in the Torygraph as saying

“I think the BBC has a fantastic record in sport. It’s extremely difficult for the BBC to bid for as many sports rights as it would like given the enormous financial firepower of organisations which don’t make as much domestic end product as we do.
“I just think we’re bound to face some tough decisions in the area of sport, but we have an obligation not only to educate, inform and entertain but also to reach as wide as community as possible and that includes those who are passionate about watching sport.”

In which case racing - should offer its product cheaply as it has to Channel 4 . A lack of terrestrial or free to air coverage is disastrous for a sport in the sense of attracting new devotees.

Last edited:
Nothing to do with the Beeb, though, is it? It's all outsourced to an independent production company. Sunset + Vine, I think.

Edit: camera-work etc., I mean.

That 'guy' doing the 'fashion' on BBC - I honestly wouldn't be surprised to find out he is a creature from outer space - he doesn't look at all human. I feel ill looking at him and can't even enjoy a simple cup of tea with him on the TV!

article-2004421-0C990A7700000578-955_634x422.jpg

That 'guy' doing the 'fashion' on BBC - I honestly wouldn't be surprised to find out he is a creature from outer space - he doesn't look at all human. I feel ill looking at him and can't even enjoy a simple cup of tea with him on the TV!

i've took a closer look since you mentioned it..i've decided he's got one of those faces that might make someone want to keep punching it

My mother thinks he looks like a rabbit dropping!

I think the BBC has a fantastic record in sport. It’s extremely difficult for the BBC to bid for as many sports rights as it would like given the enormous financial firepower of organisations which don’t make as much domestic end product as we do.

Give up F1 then you prats

Came home after the second race - the 'Royal Enclosure' isn't anything like Terminal 4. Terminal 4, you can find somewhere to sit, you don't get shoved and pushed around as if you're on the Tube. I was thinking that the Silver Ring in future might be a better place for being able to sit down occasionally - apart from the flip-down seats directly outside the men's lavatories, where my companion and I finally found a place to drink our coffees. The non-racing sport looks quite good...

In which case racing - should offer its product cheaply as it has to Channel 4 . A lack of terrestrial or free to air coverage is disastrous for a sport in the sense of attracting new devotees.

Agreed.

Thanks for details, Ardross.

Nothing to do with the Beeb, though, is it? It's all outsourced to an independent production company. Sunset + Vine, I think.

Edit: camera-work etc., I mean.

Weren't they originally set up to cover mostly racing events when there was a threat that racing would vanish from terrestrial TV altogether?

All the more reason for them to review their camera angles, surely.

Patten reported in the Torygraph as saying

“I think the BBC has a fantastic record in sport. It’s extremely difficult for the BBC to bid for as many sports rights as it would like given the enormous financial firepower of organisations which don’t make as much domestic end product as we do.
“I just think we’re bound to face some tough decisions in the area of sport, but we have an obligation not only to educate, inform and entertain but also to reach as wide as community as possible and that includes those who are passionate about watching sport.”

And how much do they pay to make Eastenders, then?
Wouldn't have the balls to pull the flush on that.

I have been throwing up continuously listening to Mac on ATR as the queen arrives. I cant help wondering whether people who are absorbed by drooling hero worship are perhaps mentally ill

It makes no sense at all

I heard Jamie Spencer throwing in a few "listens" himself in an interview after the Gold Cup....obviously spending too much time around AOB lately.

Back