Arse Cup

Ach, how can ye slate John Hunt, Kri??? He's one of the country's best commentators IMO, along with Barty, Hoiles, Darren Owen & Holt.

Oh and if any of ye fancy a value punt, PP offering Aly Rowell at 5/1 in the 'filly factor'. I reckon she might just be a shoe in.

Have ye gone all diddle-dee-dee there, Shadz O'Leader? As it was, begorrah, 'twas Bartie, not Hunty, who called the wrong 'un in, bejaysus an' leppin' leprechauns. But they are very shouty lads, as is Mark Johnson when he's here, and Lee Mackenzie's also gone several demi-quavers higher than usual.

And, while I'm in corrective mode, it's shoo-in, folks, not shoe in (it's not just you, Shazza, there are a couple of others knocking about). No, no, thank me later!

Mike Cattermole gets a lot of stick on here, not all of it justified. It is only fair to point out that he does a very good job with some potentially quite difficult encounters on course. He related very well at Newbury last year to fund-raising Army veterans back from Afghanistan but he surpassed that today on C4 at York with two very well-conducted interviews with a severely-handicapped young woman at York who was painting horse portraits with a paintbrush in her mouth. Derek Thompson would have talked to her like she was two and Alice Plunkett would have been unbearably sentimental but Cattermole wasn't patronising in the slightest and came across as genuinely interested in what she was doing and what she had to say for herself. I just thought it was a very sympathetic piece.

Bringing up the subject again, Freeview. My box broke last week so I got a replacement - and it thinks I'm in Wales. No more Gordon Burns:(

Mike Cattermole gets a lot of stick on here, not all of it justified. It is only fair to point out that he does a very good job with some potentially quite difficult encounters on course. He related very well at Newbury last year to fund-raising Army veterans back from Afghanistan but he surpassed that today on C4 at York with two very well-conducted interviews with a severely-handicapped young woman at York who was painting horse portraits with a paintbrush in her mouth. Derek Thompson would have talked to her like she was two and Alice Plunkett would have been unbearably sentimental but Cattermole wasn't patronising in the slightest and came across as genuinely interested in what she was doing and what she had to say for herself. I just thought it was a very sympathetic piece.

credit where due..totally agree

They - commentators and presenters - all get a lot of stick on here, full stop! Yet while we pick holes in them from time to time, most of them have got other qualities which are best appreciated in person, not perhaps always on camera. Mike Cattermole is one of the best people for remembering names and greeting a wide variety of people on course, always smiling, polite, and thoughtful.

I don't think there's anyone better than Thommo at engaging with the less knowledgeable public, who are out for just a pleasant day - and he's made a lot of people very happy with their day at the races by stopping by their tables during birthday celebrations, etc., to wish them well - mostly off camera, but much appreciated for making people feel special.

They both also do a lot of compering work for racing-related events, so their composure and professionalism is probably better than just straightforward race callers and, in fact, than the journeyman presenter come up from days in the saddle, etc.

Did anybody else catch O'Brien literally grabbing the jacket of the lad leading Cape Blanco around and actually leading him around the ring. Great stuff! :lol:

wtf is Carson on about re Cape Blanco?..he reckons he went from 7f as a 2yo to competing over 10f at 3 where he found them too good for him..wtf..this drop back to a mile could be it

it may be that he does run well today..but he was a bloody good 10f horse

This thread will be getting some hammer this week.

They rode Cape Blanco like Canford's pacemaker but Cape Blanco looks gone.

Last edited:
This thread will be getting some hammer this week.

They rode Cape Blanco like Canford's pacemaker but Cape Blanco looks gone.

could do with a thread just for Carson

i think the campaigning of CB is a fookin disgrace mesen

this horse was as tough as nails to beat at his correct trip..which imo is 10f..yes he won at 12 but he is a 10f horse imo..today he just got used to burn the pace up..a shame

i think its time we had a documanntary made of H Cecil..an hour and half job covering his whole career

Back