Arse Cup

If a weasel has an arse I'd vote all in for Carson. Matt Chapman is annoying but he does ask the right questions when interviewing trainers and jockey's etc so he escapes my wrath.

Thommo is Thommo and more love the guy than hate him. Same off air as on air apparently I've always liked the guy tbh despite the fact he deserved the award for "prick of the year" when puting the daftest question in the history of interviews to Ruby after Kauto lost to Denman in the Gold Cup

Last edited:
From David Carr's (Racing Post) blog from Sedgefield last night:

"The whole evening was MC'd in typical style by a slightly-less-universally-loved personality from off the television.
I'll not mention his name but you'll probably guess who it was by the fact that his response to seeing the National winner parading was to exclaim: "Well done big fella".
By the fact that he occasionally forgot that he is not on the box, and at one point signed off his spiel by imploring those lucky enough to be listening to 'stay with us'.
By the fact that he managed to mistake Paul Murphy for his - significantly older - father Ferdy.
By the fact that he attempted to railroad the course into naming a race after Auroras Encore. And went very quiet when asked if he would sponsor it himself.
And by the fact that when interviewing the sponsors before the fourth race he said he fancied Tutchec, to which he got the response: "That was my choice Derek too - but he is not running."

Oli Bell - since Luck pissed off to Channel 4 he appears to be on everyday - dreary voice and crap jokes - less of him please ! How he got the job in the first place beggars belief .

Oli Bell has a really annoying habit, to me at least of repeatedly putting "Here on RUK" or "Here on Racing UK" on the end of sentences.

Tries to be funny (unsuccessfully) a lot, presumably his father being Rupert has something to do with his success.

I know an AP working for RUK who can't stand Oli Bell and whose heart sinks every time they're rostered to work with him.

I know an AP working for RUK who can't stand Oli Bell and whose heart sinks every time they're rostered to work with him.

Which is every day at present . Clearly, Luck has decided the size of his C4 role means he cannot work for RUK any more although Cunningham is still there .

Also they have recruited several late middle aged dreary summarisers too - the one who looks like Alastair Sim is particularly whingy in tone.

Nick Luck after yesterday's Gordon Stakes, displaying lamentable racereading skills: "I think it's hard to say there's a horse who ought to have won who hasn't, conclusively."

The word "conclusively" was preceded by a slight pause, presumably caused by Luck catching sight of the look on Jim McGrath's face and, sure enough (and to his credit), the next words you heard were McGrath's: "No, I disagree..."

McGrath had a couple of other digs at Luck yesterday, one on the Falmouth Stakes interference and the other when Luck was pompously analysing Leitir Mor's sluggish start in the Sussex and McGrath described as "cobblers" any suggestion it had cost Dawn Approach the race.

Cunningham seems to be on the bench - according to his Twitter feed he is not back on C4 until that high profile assignment - the Shergar Cup .

They don't need him and McGrath in the same studio wittering on.

How refreshing no Oli Bell for three days at Goodwood - but I am not holding my breath...

On the basis of a single imperfect sentence -- spoken in the fast moving stress-environment of a TV studio -- this man is an Arse? Fvck me! :blink:

Is this man the same Arse who has over ninety international caps to his credit; who at the young age of 16 also played in an All-Ireland Hurling Championship Final? (Not many pro soccer players have something like that on their CV).
Is it so soon forgotten that Niall Quinn was the first, and one of the subsequent very few players, who donated the entire proceeds of his testimonial to charity? Sick and terminally ill children in two hospices benefitted to the tune of over £1 miilion from this selfless act.
Considering the classy gentleman he is, I have no problem cutting the fella some slack and excusing him for some casual grammatical inaccuracy

Undoubtedly there's plenty of Arses to be found amongst the ranks of professional and ex-professional footballers ........................ but Niall Quinn isn't one of 'em.

Back