Arse Cup

My colleague and I packed up early enough to watch the Grand Nat from Lingfield's accounts office, although we had to turn up the volume, having been deafened on the way by hearing Lydia Hislop SCREECHING in the most strident, hag-like cackle at some unfortunate from the previous race. Dear Godawmighty, can't they employ people who just TALK any more?

I was particularly smitten by the appalling camerawork today - were the operators on loan from RTE? Either they've got Parkinson's disease, or they've got hand-held 8mm Bell & Howells from 1954. THE NH race of the year, and I felt sea-sick watching it - apart from the long, long, long distance shots, where you needed binoculars to see them on tv, a shot where the leaders jumped and went out of picture before we could see them land, and then the agonizing wobbling up the straight - was the crane giving way? would he plummet to earth? will the Beeb invest in gymbals for next year, if there's a high wind? Shabby stuff.

what a great name for a horse.... if i ever breed another one, can someone remind me to call it Egregious ???

( thats after the three others ive named - Umtha, Ashanti Sana and Liberty Valence, but not yet bred!!!)

Remind me who the cameramen are who bring us the delights of those little dots disappearing over the dip and away, Gareth? I may have to be reminded every three months - I'm very old, you know.

We still have to endure the annual farce of the Carl Hicks self congratulatory press release.

Where did I leave that bucket ?

So this Carl Hicks is the person responsible for the hiring of the BBC's racing people?

Does this include the radio 5 lot as well, i.e. those execrable incompetents Harvey and Lysaght?

How does he keep his job, does anybody know?

Thanks, DG - now we know who to pelt with our rotten tomatoes! CAMERAWORK = appalling! PRESENTERS = overbearing, shrill, and too damn many! Apart from that, a delightful time was had by all...

...........and much too intrusive.

Was the Hislop trying to interview the starter after the false start?

I was watching Racing UK and it looked as if she was trying to!

Yes, it's the dreadful, creeping intrusiveness that I detest the most, Colin. Not one person can do a THING without someone being their to stuff a mike up their left nostril and shriek inanities at them. Hislop was in particularly shrieky form - when she's presenting with just one other person, she never stops yapping, so I suppose she made up for her lesser airtime by ratching up the decibels. Sometimes, apart from Claire's modulated tones, it sounds as if the meeting's being held in a cheap bar full of squealing slappers and endlessly braying estate agents.

I think it ought to be run in mid-June at 6.30 p.m. on Family Fun Day, with prizes for the Knobbliest Knees, Prettiest Grandma, Cutest Baby, and Most Glamorous Mum, to be followed by a Giant Barbecue, Fireworks Display, Army Parachute Drop and disco to 2.00 a.m. I might be tempted to attend...

Is it me being grumpy or is Chaparse in particularly annoying form today?

I know race calling isn't easy but I do think that GG and Lee MacKenzie are just not up to it.

Every day with Chaparse is pure torture - it's hard to tell if one is significantly worse than the other. :teeth:

A nomination from me to Adrian Gregory of London SW5.

In his letter published in today's RP, he writes;

"When a horse like Royal Shakespeare, who has run disappointly throughout the season, can top the [BHB Order Of Merit] list..."

This season, Royal Shakespeare has won The Elite Hurdle, won The Agfa Hurdle, Finished 2nd in The Fighting Fifth Hurdle , finished 2nd in The Kingwell Hurdle, finished 3rd in The Ascot Hurdle, finished 3rd in The Christmas Hurdle and was a moral 2nd/3rd in The Scottish Champion Hurdle.

So, yes, I imagine that his connections are bitterly disappointed with his performance.

Back