Arse Cup

Glad you noticed that as well!! Loved the way O'Brien just took the horse off the handler....I presume trainers or anyone else is not allowed actually lead a horse into the stalls?

A trainer of his stature would get the Clerk of the Course's okay to lead his own horse in, Gal, or a specialized handler he'd have nominated beforehand. It's unusual, to say the least, but I don't think he'd find anyone telling him he couldn't if he wanted to.

If anything procedurally prohibited were to help the horse, I am sure Aidan would rather look for forgiveness than permission and just do it.

I didn't think the item on Sir Percy's breeder was at all arsey.

If it had been a really poor piece then you'd have a point, but I though it was very well done. I caught the build-up and race at a non-racing friend's house, and she found the item delightful.

Re Sir Percy, he is a very well-bred horse, by a good 2000 winner, out of Group-winning Percy's Lass, from a branch of the very successful Horama family, so the "arse" comment is justified. He was one of the better bred animals in the field.

Originally posted by Venusian@May 7 2006, 09:01 AM
I didn't think the item on Sir Percy's breeder was at all arsey.

If it had been a really poor piece then you'd have a point, but I though it was very well done. I caught the build-up and race at a non-racing friend's house, and she found the item delightful.

It wasn`t the item itself it was the timing of it`s broadcast.

"If anything procedurally prohibited were to help the horse, I am sure Aidan would rather look for forgiveness than permission and just do it"

After yesterday's performance I think his Dad would grant him it too. :lol:

Exactly Colin, the build up to the classic was pretty much ruined. Nice piece though it was seeing mares and foals running around a paddock is hardly the sort of build up I want ten minutes before the Classic.

As for Sir Percys pedigree, again yes he is well bred but in the context of a Classic race he is not a stand out. He is by Mark Of Esteem, good miler himself but no superstar at stud (hence his £7000 stud fee).

We had Sadler's Wells, Giants Causeway, Danehills, Danehill Dancers, Red Ransoms etc in the line up all superior in my view to Mark Of Esteem. The classic colts were out of dams like Imagine (dual classic winner), Bordighera (dam of Grandera), Tamassos (dam of Posidonas) etc. Has Sir Percy's dam produced a stakes winner yet?

So in this context I would not rate him particularly well bred. Despite the fact he is quite a decent physical specimen he was bought for less than 20,000gns......tells alot.

I think he was PL's last foal - if he had not been how much do you think a full brother would be worth now at the sales Galileo ?

Good of Channel4 to show a recording of the Kentucky Derby, but they could have shown a bit more and sacked that crappy race from Salisbury. Not prime arse, just a mis-judgement.

Do self nominations count?

I'd like to nominate myself - I walked out to make a cup of tea and came back just in time to see Prado dismounting Barbaro :(

As do i, but as i`ve never even heard of any of the nags running there finding it would be like looking for the old needle in the haystack.

If you're a value seeker, perhaps you should spend a little more time in the seeking area? Or perhaps you're looking at the wrong race? It was a 0-100 3-y-o handicap, Class 2, with over £13,000 to the winner. No one complains more about prize money in GB than I, but on that basis alone this was not a "crappy" race.

It's a shame that you'd never heard of any of the runners - if you had known that Paul Cole's Bentong attracted significant market interest before finishing second from a bad draw in his seasonal debut at Ripon, winning the race on his side, you may have also been able to take 4/1 about the winning 5/2 favourite.

To be honest i`m too lazy to bother with the lesser races, and at the end of the day sticking to Group races and the top handicaps has worked for me over the years.

You`re right though, i have around eighty bets a year on the flat, if i could double that i`d make a lot more money.

Graham Goode could well be a decent outsider, even if a little long in the tooth.

3.15 Hamilton with the The Jailer leading 2 out, according to Goode had "escaped" geddit ??!! pity was the horse was caught by three others and could only manage fourth.

Race readers I **** 'em!!

Leslie Graham was an absolute inept in her interview to Fabre in channel 4 today.

It is very rare to be able to hear words from Fabre in TV, and she interviewed him like a person being at the races for the first time in her life.

Interseting point was that he said he would have no runners in the French Guineas - did I hear that right?

Back