Arse Cup

Originally posted by Relkeel@Jun 22 2006, 06:34 PM
Yesterday, Thommo was interviewing Neil Wilkins (of VCBet) live on Attheraces. NW reported that VC had laid Langford in The Hunt Cup.

Quick as a flash, Thommo interupts with; "a bonnie horse, ho ho ho".

It struck me that no other arse has the same reflexes as Thommo. NW paused only for the shortest intake of breath and in that time, Thommo spotted the chance to dive in with an arse comment and had delivered the lame pun in the blink of an eye.

This ia a perfect example to non Arse enthusiasts as to why Thommo is held in such high esteem in arse spotting circles!

On the same subject Relks Thommo earned a mention in the Observers Tattenham Corner this week under the sub headline of "Thommo's Pigeon English"

"Congratulations to Derek Thompson for worst pun of the week. Interviewing Henry Candy on At The Races on Monday, Thompson asked the trainer if he was going for 'coup' with Pigeon Island at Pontefract that evening"

It strikes me that Thommo should be on Countdown, he'd be merciless, and a lot cheaper than Des Lynham

That's a brilliant idea! I'm not sure about the cheapness, what with Tommo charging five grand as an after-dinner speaker, but what a bonzer idea - Warbler, please send that one in and suggest they have him on at least as a guest punster! He'd outdo Giles Brandreth, and would wear far less appalling sweaters.

"Boobies" - not only the obvious, but knowing winks about McCririck's long-suffering other half, too! Aieeeeee...

Any thoughts on Jaime and Louise Redknapp? He doesn`t grate like John Parrott, and to be honest it`s nice to have something plesent to look at. Louise isn`t bad either.

I'll do it later Kriz, (once I've been able to bring myself to compose a suitable eulogy in testimonial to our broadcasting legend). I think the chemistry between him and Carol would be the highlight, as she has allegedly, got a bit of a reputation for being a prima donna, and given Thommo's tendancy to want to be centre of attention, I don't see how they could fail not to hit it off.

Come to think of it, Lesley Graham did 'dictionary corner' once, and wasn't particularly good at it. Thommo's natural competitive spirit and desire out do everyone else just might tempt him into bat?

Anyone watching who has only a vague passing interest in racing would think a horse called Motivator is running today the amount of times it`s been mentioned.

The BEEB producer still seems to have an obsession with the lovely Jamie Redknapp. :blink:

Jamie actually tipped up Papal Bull.........well done Jamie, I say!!!! :angy:

Yes, not too difficult to tip the faves, is it! I have a sinking feeling that the Redknapp Duo are being groomed for some sort of start in presenting, Gawdelpus, otherwise why so much attention to an ex-singer with 'Eternal' and a, er, a, er - what? I don't know what the boy does or did. I switched back to ATR the moment he and Rishi began obsessing about their whistles again. If I hear how one can have a suit 'made' in Savile Row (it's tailored, chaps, y'know - 'made' is by Top Shop) once more, I think I'll scweam and scweam.

Jamie Redknapp = Ex Liverpool - Spurs - England midfielder (and possibly others). One of the classiest players this country has produced (in terms of football) but sadly never reached his full potential because of a string of injuries. Now a fledging SkySport presenter - both Premiership and Champions League - having spent most of last season in a studio with Ruud Gullit, Rihcard Keys et al.

Louise being a very attractive ex-singer both solo and formerly of Eternal as you pointed out.

I must say as a celebrity couple these two really don't irritate me too much, both seem pretty down to earth and you don't seem to see much in the press about their "antics" a la the Beckhams etc.

Thanks, Bets. That's why I haven't heard of him, I guess! So, it's too unusual a name not to be connected - is Harry Redknapp a relative? No, they weren't really obnoxious, just bland and nothingy. One wonders why non-racing people get to hog the screen so much when there are surely so many other young, attractive racing-oriented fans to be had? Why, the Beeb only has to look in on here, for a start... :blink:

Jamie is Harry's son. Thankfully we are yet to witness too many of the latter's traits being passed on.

Oh well folks, I've sent the following to Channel 4 in an attempt to secure for Thommo a platform for him to showcase his arseness and bring it to otherwise uninitiated audiences. It was of course a difficult wrench, as I have no real desire to help line his already over laden and undeserved pockets, but I've had to swallow that side of things. Composing it was also no easy task, as it clearly doesn't describe the Thommo that I'm familiar with, and thus required me to suspend all familiarity, whilst trying to keep a straight face and forget just who it was I was describing.

I'll update in due course if CH4 enter into any correspondance

Dear Sir/ Madam

Countdown

Could I respectably suggest that you might consider trying to secure the participation of Channel 4’s widely regarded and distinguished racing broadcaster Derek Thompson on Countdown? Although I have never met him, I have admired his peerless performances for many years now and believe him to be a natural for a show such as yours.

Mr Thompson is an articulate and spontaneous broadcaster of the highest calibre. He embodies that quintessentially Middle English quality of gentle good humour, with a degree of self- parody that so distinguishes your show and its legions of loyal viewers. His is indeed, a rare and unique quality, in that he can effortlessly combine an endearingly eccentric perspective through his astute observations, with a disarming charm that I probably associate most readily with predecessors such as the late Brian Johnson.

On top of these undoubted personal qualities, he is also an established after dinner speaker and raconteur of reasonable renown, and would therefore be more than capable of contributing appropriate amusing anecdotes, and engaging incisively in the name of eclectic banter. He works extremely well as an integral part of the award winning Channel 4 racing team, and unlike so many of the self-regarding egotists associated with the presentation of the said programme, he exhibits the admirable quality of humility in bucket loads, frequently allowing himself to be the subject of other people’s questionable wit in the pursuit of entertainment and teamwork.

I very much hope that you feel able to consider him as a guest, and I am sure he will be a great benefit to your show.

Yours faithfully

I've seen a few Liverpool players doing jigs of various descriptions but not sure if he was one of them, though nowadays they probably aren't Northern Dancer's :(

They've just acknowledged receipt (automatic re-mail) but stress it takes up to 4 weeks to reply personally given the volume they receive etc

Originally posted by Griffin@Jun 23 2006, 03:17 PM
That Louise woman is wearing a straight jacket today.
Interesting - I thought she looked like she was about to hop onto a stretcher to be wheeled into theatre....

Superb Warbler, absolutely superb!! You might be onto a winner there - after all they do employ the ghastly Lesley Graham on Countdown often enough!

Nailed-on after that glowing testimonial, Warbler. I hope you crossed your fingers after you finished, 'cos if you didn't your nose is going to grow longer and longer...

Did I hear correctly? (I had the washing machine going on its most aggresive spin cycle) but did Car(arse) really just ask Lawrence Dalligilo "Whats the difference; how do you assess, the difference between a horse and a rugby player in terms of muscle development?" :blink:

Back