Arse Cup

God Channel 4's Cheltenham coverage has been dog awful. Im glad for RUK

I disagree. You can always put the kettle on when they have one of their pieces on fashion or jockey`s lifestyles. I`m just glad the BeeB aren`t involved.

Is RUK more punting orientated?

I disagree. You can always put the kettle on when they have one of their pieces on fashion or jockey`s lifestyles. I`m just glad the BeeB aren`t involved.

Is RUK more punting orientated?

Would be owing to its racing status but i prefer it as id rather see my horse walking around in the parade ring than Ted Walsh & co eating a steak and chips dinner talking about how great Martin Pipe was or various other lovefests during the week

Racing UK aren't nearly as betting-orientated as ATR, but what they do is concentrate on the actual race that is about to happen, is happening, or has just happened, and nothing else.

What does irritate me on Ch 4 is the time spent on fillers that seem to pander, if not to the lowest common denominator, to the person who has idly clicked onto a bit of daytime TV - the Mastermind pastiche was cringeworthy, the facts given could have been summarised in 20 seconds, and we could have moved on to something more interesting.

"Mahatma Gandhi's mother could have won on that from the back of the last..."

He may be an ass-part, but he's a bloody funny one sometimes! :D

Why is Nick Luck so concerned about Alan King having a winner? Keeps banging on about it. Who cares (apart from Alan King, obviously)?

In possibly related news, Steve Miller was reported to have been leading an army of wheel-barrow pushers towards the betting ring about an hour ago... :D

Cattermole was surely responsible for Arse of the Week award

When Diamond Harry rather cut M de H up on the turn he said " M de H has found nothing " only for the horse to slip through a gap like an eel and rocket into the lead .

Nick Luck and Eddie Freemantle bored enough to resort to discussing Dancing On Ice, Jessica Taylor and the complete and utter stupidity of Kempton even staging a card today (which evidently was suitably under-attended) before the 5.00.

Riveting.

John Gosden has told the story more than once to journalists about how he was visitng Chile at the time Allende was shot, soldiers were on the streets and thousands were being rounded up and brought to the football stadium. He went to the races, where he thought it was wonderful to see people gambling and spending money like there was no tomorrow and forgetting their problems. He presents this as the perfect justification for racing, an opportunity for some diversion in bad times.

Gosden is an intelligent man and I agree with his general sentiment that racing's role is to give us respite from other more pressing matters. But using this particular example to promote racing must surely have the opposite effect. Any normal person would surely feel queasy about going racing at such a time and place.

Step up, Ms Balding.
No need to be shy, no need at all -- we've been expecting you, though we don't quite have your size .... never mind, it's the smile that counts.

Back