Arse Cup

Lee Mottershead for describing the returning Natalia Gemelova as a 29 year old apprentice.

Errrr no,you are an apprentice until the age of 25 then you are able to claim if you haven't had the required amount of winners (somehow I can't envisage Ann Stokell riding out her claim).

Oh and Ryan Moore deserves a mention for his attitude when interviewed by Luke at Lingers this afternoon,.

I quite enjoyed Moore this afternnon. Harvey is a cretin and came across as that, he asked about Patkai, and then asked how would Conduit get on in the Henry II. Some might say an easy slip of the tongue, I'd just suggest Harvey is a retard without a pair of shoulders.

Thommo as excruciating as ever today at Yarmouth,at least he wasn't commentating on the 100/1 winner I suppose.

Anyone else find the Captain & Willo show rather tedious on RUK yesterday. I have never thought McNae as anything but a bluffer, constantly repeating what others have just said, but I used to have time for James but he seems "to have gone the way of all flesh".

Mind you, the opposition team of "The Weaversnake" (who now seems to start every sentence with "look" much in the same way Aiden O'Brien starts all of his replies with "listen") and Simon " The Android" Mapletoft didn't enthrall either.

As my wife often points out perhaps I watch too much racing on television.

GG deserves a mention his Cattermole moment yesterday calling the Owen horse home for most of the final couple of furlongs of the apprentices race at Donny,when it was quite clear to me stood at the finishing line that it was Betteras Bertie.
Was there any of the usual betting on Betfair as a result of his gaffe?

Tom-o-ryan on ruk saying we were about to see friston forest win on the sand in nad al sheba, amazing how green the sand was on nad al shebas turf track.

GG deserves a mention his Cattermole moment yesterday calling the Owen horse home for most of the final couple of furlongs of the apprentices race at Donny,when it was quite clear to me stood at the finishing line that it was Betteras Bertie.
Was there any of the usual betting on Betfair as a result of his gaffe?
I saw the Owen horse hit 4-1 about 1.5F out, but an awful error from GG. I think his shit and has been for a few years now.

Never forgiven GG for treating me like s,,t when he walked into me in the stand at ayr racecourse and could not even bring himself to apologise.

Time for my thrice-annual whinge about Dessie Scahill (droning at Tramore a few days back). Darrell Williams had to note, from the ATR booth, who the fallers were, since it's clearly not in Desbore's contract to call any URs, Fs or BDs. Arse-over-tit they go, tumbling through the rails or taking out half the field, but on and on drones the Great Bore, reading out the class register. If anyone has trouble with insomnia, just play back a few of Desbore's race calls, and you'll be fast aslump in no time.

(That aside, there was a very perky feller from the Irish PtP scene doing some calling elsewhere last week, who was favourably commented upon. Probably because half his audience were actually not asleep. Peter someone? Lads?)

Richard Pugh was in action at Down Royal last week I think it was.

Jerry Hannon the only other one I can think of (rather excitable as well!). Surely not Peter O'Hehir?

Richard Pugh - there, I knew it sounded like Peter!! Thanks, tracks, that's the chap. Sounded bright and perky, and told us which horse was where in a Simon Holtish fashion, sometimes picking out colours for us - which Dessie's either not bothered to do, or incapable of doing. No, not Peter O'Hehir, who, at first, I had high hopes of not doing Dessie-type calls, but isn't much better.

What on earth is the problem - given that we don't have helpful coloured number cloths like the USA or dog racing - with giving out the jockeys' silks? Typically Dessie call is to say that OOPSTHERESMEMUM is in third place - but if, given Tramore's especially bizarre camera placings, you can't see what's even in second, if they're close up, you don't know which brown horse is which! Now and then, he'll remark that X is in 'the noseband' (meaning the sheepskin one, not the grakle or the plain Cavesson), or Y is in the cheekpieces - er, the near-invisible brown ones, or the white? Aaaarggghhh!

Great Arseing from Tommo just - called the gambled on Lady Royal Oak the winner only for her to be passed by not one but two rivals.

Really showing us why he is The King Of Arse.

And why is it that unless a horse wins by at least a length it is deemed to be 'one for the judge'.

Not that he is the only guilty of that,but it really is noticeable how lazy some of the commentators are getting (not that I envy them doing the job).

Clare Balding still going on about Mark Johnston being sick about Mac Love winning as he used to train him, exactly when Clare?

Yer man on the bike there now with Willie... classic.

edit: who is that guy BTW? Literally twice Carson.

Last edited:
I think it was Cornelius Lightarse on Five Live this afternoon proclaimed Sariska "the winner of the Oaks 2008". Makes people who don't know what day it is sound intelligent.

Can I just say how tediously tiresome, or tiringly tedious, it was to have Jonathan Neesom droning on in High Sarcasm mode about Catterick versus the Epsom coverage all bleedin' day? Not just sarcastic, but sneeringly patronising, too. So what if there was a seller at Catt the day The Oaks was being run? I don't suppose he'd turn down the reporting gig and forego his pay just because a lesser card was on, so just shut it, Mr Niggles! I forgot about Beeb Two hosting some of the races, otherwise I'd have cheerfully swapped Lydia and The Shoe for Ms Balding and Oor Wullie.

Back