Arse Cup

Not racing related, but Gary Lineker hosting the France-Uruguay match - first question to Emmanual Adebayor: "Describe your emotions."
BBC touchy-feely, when we want facts & opinions on football ... not juvenile 'emotion' talk.

I'd actually prefer Thommo to Robert Cooper any day, too, Gearoid. Thommo was at Brighton and worked the crowd a treat - boundless energy and positively glows with enthusiasm while he's whirling around chatting to the public. Yes, I know all the guff about his hopeless tipping line, his over-priced after-dinner speaking, his pay bar for his wedding... but if there's anyone of a similar age in racing who actually runs round (literally) trying very hard to make the attendees feel they're valued for being oncourse, I'd like to know. Not one of the stand-offish, over-earnest, sour-faced, Racespeaking RUK lot (bar Nick Luck, who does use smile muscles occasionally).

Cooper - in or out of the studio - bumbles and waffles dreadfully, looks as if he's a contestant on 'What's My Line?' where he's no idea what a bottom-knocker's job is, but will try to wing it anyway. Just embarrassing to watch or hear too many times to be funny now. And his "interviews"! "Well, she did that nicely, she does well at this distance" - how anodyne can one get? To be followed by the trainer's mild correction of "Yes, we're quite pleased with him, although it's been the first time we've tried 10f, so he surprised us a bit." I've seen him poring through the RP cards before racing, but what on earth he's actually learning from them, God knows. Certainly nothing that makes sense when he opens his mouth.

Last edited:
I prefer Coops any day to Thommo. At least RC has the decency to actually to listen to what you are saying and be interested. I found having spoken to both DT likes teh sound of his own voice and that is it whereas RC you can have a good chat to and bump into him at another race meeting and he will recall what you have been taking about.
I wrote to DT years and years ago about the Cheltenham open ditches prior to their redesign as he was up in arms about it on C4 and he didn't even bother to reply properly - just a standard thank you (and it went to his home address in Newmarket rather than C4) - it was a case of out of the camera view, not interested.

Cooper doesn't display the slightest bit of ability to recall, on the spot, who trained which horse when and the links between it, a current owner, and another horse - give him his due, for all his tomfoolery, Chapman can do that sort of thing at the drop of a hat. Cooper has far too many times wandered aimlessly around the paddock wondering aloud whether so-and-so might be available for a few words, and those few have been the usual bland mild praise for a horse's win, usually misquoting its gender, how many runs it's had previously, and even managing on some occasions to misremember who trained it prior to the day. Pretty shocking stuff, considering he's meant to be one of many showcasing British racing!

James Sherwood - not a fan of his at the best of times but now he's just asking questions. At least when he was making bitchy comments about the outfits he was semi-entertaining.

It's an absolute horror show on both channels. Balding and Darley the only ones with an ounce of common sense and racing knowledge on the BBC.

McGrath didn't know Rainfall was a filly for about ten minutes.

Spent longer talking to Grace Jones than talking about the form of the Jersey.

Just business as usual from them.

I'm watching ATR,but only because Thommo has left our screens by the time the action has started.
It's a marginal decision.

I was watching Queens tennis last week on BBC - very little dumbing down (I can handle a bit of it seeing as it is the National Broadcaster) and great features in between the matches. Racing is the only sport that gets dumbed down - get it off the BBC.

For me, most inane comment so far was yesterday as they were loading up before the RHC -

McGrath: "So which way will they go ?"

Er... forwards, you prat ?

Now, now, missus! That's a weeny bit unkind to Jimbo - there'd been endless waffling about the split - standside, far side, all around the town - so you know he meant that! :D

Really enjoyed listening to Timeform Radio from Royal Ascot this week with Mellish and co. Different gravy to the television coverage.

Last edited:
I can understand them wanting to cover both sides, but surely they can be a bit more responsive to what's actually happening in the race.

Ladbrokes -- sooo feckin pissed off with them - missed getting on for the Exacta in the Golden Jubilee, because 'they were having high volumes' on their web-site -- paid £1417.

I'm well pleased with that - not!

Paul Morrison deserves a mention for mentioning prior to the app race at Haydock tonight that David Simmonson had ridden 11 winners,errr no Paul 11 rides,0 winners! (now 12 unfortunately for him)

Last edited:
Back