Ballydoyle 2 Year Olds 2010

Jackaroo by Galileo - this being his first crop concieved when Galileo's fee went to 150,000. So the quality of his mares just getting better and better - natural enough to expect that to be reflected on the track.

Tomorrow's Curragh maiden is run over 6 furlongs - it has been run twice (now replacing a listed two year old race that was previously on the card) and Ballydoyle have introduced Alfred Nobel and Mastercraftsman in each of those runnings.

Jackaroo by Galileo - this being his first crop concieved when Galileo's fee went to 150,000. So the quality of his mares just getting better and better - natural enough to expect that to be reflected on the track.

I've never noticed this before but the race was over 7 furlongs... on May 2nd ? Has this always been the case in Ireland ?

Seems an awful big ask - especially when you consider the ground might normally not be good ground ...

I've never noticed this before but the race was over 7 furlongs... on May 2nd ? Has this always been the case in Ireland ?

Seems an awful big ask - especially when you consider the ground might normally not be good ground ...

Yep it has always been over 7 furlongs and has generally been one of the strongest early season maidens run in Ireland.

Only one or two left to have names confirmed. Zoffany out again at Naas tonight while there is quite a gamble going on the O'Brien filly in the first tonight.

Thought Together showed plenty as well - green as grass - similar to Lillie Langtry's debut in the same race last year.

Zoffany looks their Coventry horse presumably.

Samuel Morse did that pretty smartly today considering he did not get the clearest of runs. Nice scopey sort too.

He won nicely today and he seems versatile regarding going as it was heavy the day he won his maiden.

With him and Zoffany they seem to have a couple of nice 2yo colts for Royal Ascot.

Dave Duggan had him down as one to follow and he was very impressive today with the run he got. A step up in trip looks ideal.

Interesting that the market very much suggests the Stack horse seems to be fancied in the maiden today. Heard a while back they have a pretty decent bunch of 2yo's this year.

Zoffany did it as expected but he is a very likeable colt. Typical big and powerful Ballydoyle colt that will do well with more racing.

A bit surprised they ran him in a listed race after the Coventry ..probably a bit of a confidence booster before moving up in Grade later on.

I never thought he would be suited to the Coventry, a charge down the centre of the track was never going to suit him. He likes to lope along in behind and then come through with a burst of speed.

Dunboyne Express was entered to run which would have been a very nice match. Otherwise all we learned is that Zoffany can still put one leg in front of the other. I was trhinking Johnston might have seen the light after his Sunday double.

Last edited:
Yes, the substance of the race is nothing to write home but but I like him as an individual (I did before the Coventry as well more so than Samuel Morse) and expect him to go onto much better things.

Rudolf Valentino gets off the board on his second start - most expensive yearling sold at auction in Europe last season.

Back