BLOODSTOCK and BREEDING 2012

Looks a very tricky thing to work from studs point of view.

Would agree - a lot of admin.

Freshman sire Schiaparelli now has his first foal on the ground, a bay colt out of the Montjeu mare Eightdaysaweek, who is owned by Richard and Lizzie Kelvin Hughes.
A dual winner over 11 furlongs on the Flat, Eightdaysaweek is out of Figlette, an unraced daughter of Darshaan and half-sister to the Champion Hurdle winner Sublimity.

What's the loss ration against nomination fee? How many not allowed roughly as a percentage. not allowed through a public sale ring? Ish?

As they offer it mostly for the "bubble" stallions I'me not sure how much restriction is on the sale on the resulting offspring - that would be down to the individual stud and their policies.

Isn't that the kind of deal that Darley were offering back along? seem to remember it being pay only when foal sale is more than stud fee...

Though as they ignore mare owners even more impressively than highclere do, I'd be suprised if they had any take up....

They also run a programme called "Share the Upside" - when a new stallion comes to stud you can pay a one time fee to secure lifetime breeding rights to that stallion. You agree to send one mare to the stallion in both of his first years at stud on a stands and nurses basis. After that you have free breeding rights to the stallion for as long as his breeding career continues. (Darby Dan are also running this programme)

Forgive the ignorance, but is that essentially a syndication along the lines of what went on during the boom times in Kentucky during the Seventies, albeit probably for a fraction of the money that was flying around in those days?

Last edited:
Isn't that the kind of deal that Darley were offering back along? seem to remember it being pay only when foal sale is more than stud fee...

Though as they ignore mare owners even more impressively than highclere do, I'd be suprised if they had any take up....

I don't think darley allowed breeders to keep any set amount before the fee was payable, just if the sale price went past the stud fee it became payable.

Forgive the ignorance, but is that essentially a syndication along the lines of what went on during the boom times in Kentucky during the Seventies, albeit probably for a fraction of the money that was flying around in those days?

Sort of, however I don't think you were contactually obliged to send mares to a stallion in his first two seasons in those syndications.

Almost but no guaranteed minimum return with Darley. If nomination fee was £5k, foal/yearling sells for less than that figure, all monies go to the stud, breeder gets nothing.

I've never had any issues with Darley - I have only two mares with them (premenant boarders) and both are always done over if I visit, never any issues with communication.

My first Teofilo hit the ground last night - biggish colt out of my Danehill mare. Good looker by all accounts.

(This is my Galileo-Danehill nick on the cheap foal!)

Good luck with him Miesque :)

sorry, didnt see that you had commented about my Darley experience - I contacted them three times about my mare going to them, and got ignored each time. Had the same problem with Highclere as well (though have been told since that that really isnt a big suprise!) Im not daft - I love my mare very much but shes not Lochsong !! Though I would have expected at least a polite "no thanks" if my winning mare who throws winning offspring isnt good enough for them, there were plenty of other studs more than interested !!!

They are a miserable bunch at Darley. We took a mare there once and although they took our money they behaved like they were doing us a favour.

My first Teofilo hit the ground last night - biggish colt out of my Danehill mare. Good looker by all accounts.

(This is my Galileo-Danehill nick on the cheap foal!)

Very best of luck with him Miesque. Just let us know when he is named so we can get all the juicy ante post prices!!:ninja:

They are a miserable bunch at Darley. We took a mare there once and although they took our money they behaved like they were doing us a favour.

I'm surpised everyone else seems to have had such a bad time with Darley - they've honestly never been anything but professional with me despite my associations with their competitiors.

OTB - Will do, although he'll probably head for the sales. I'm currently attempting to retain "Taking Silk" for his older sister - mare has Silk in her name and she's owned by a syndicate made up mainly of lawyers....I thought it was appropriate!

Didn't say they weren't professional, they did everything they were paid to do, I just didn't take to them. Far too full of a self sense of importance for me.

Back