Bloodstock News 2010

Thanks steve, yes I read about the filly but thought it a little odd that they didn't say who she was going to next, read just about any article where a mare has given birth & the stallion who is next on the list is mentioned!

I think she had the filly on 24th Feb so realisticly what would be the latest date she could be mated this year?

That's right (foaled Feb 20) negotiations will obviously be quite sensitive. They may want to rest her for a year, but they will be in a better position to judge.

Last edited:
No by Galileo. She might go to a speedier stallion on the Danehill line maybe Dansili or Danehill Dancer and if they were to inbread it would not be that close maybe to Oasis Dream but surely not Sea The Stars

OB has plenty of time to visit any stallion this season - in general, if owners are breeding to race then they'll consider covering the mare as late as mid June for the Flat, later for NH mares

OB has plenty of time to visit any stallion this season - in general, if owners are breeding to race then they'll consider covering the mare as late as mid June for the Flat, later for NH mares

True, although not all breeders want late foals, whereas others won't mind. Later foals obviously tend not to appear as often (or at all) at two for example.

Go on the Chap!

By BLOODSTOCK WORLD STAFF 12.10PM 10 APR 2010
THE result of the Group 1 Australian Derby at Randwick on Saturday capped a brilliant week for High Chaparral, with the Coolmore stallion siring thefirst three home.
Randwick Guineas hero Shoot Out led home the stallion's trifecta, scoring by a length and a quarter from Descarado. Dual Group 1 winner Monaco Consul was a further neck back in third.
In France earlier this week, High Chaparral's daughter Joanna staked her Guineas claim when lowering the colours of Special Duty in the Prix Imprudence at Maisons-Laffitte. The stallion could also be represented in an European Guineas by recent Leopardstown 2,000 Guineas Trial winner Noll Wallop.
The last stallion to pull off a Group or Grade 1 trifecta was Always A Rainbow, who sired the first three home in the Indian Derby in January. High Chaparral's stud-mate Danehill Dancer also sired the first three home - Alfred Nobel, Air Chief Marshal and Walk On Bye - in last season's Phoenix Stakes.
Owners Graham and Linda Huddy purchased Shoot Out for just A$15,000 at the Magic Millions Gold Coast Yearling Sale. Bred by N. C. Stewart in Australia, he is a half-brother to Group Three WATC West Australian Oaks winner Cassandara Shadow and out of the Pentire mare Pentamerous.
Coolmore announced earlier this month that High Chaparral will stand the upcoming southern hemisphere at their base in the Hunter Valley. The Derby-winning son of Sadler's Wells has enjoyed a scintillating start to his stud career in the southern hemisphere, siring three Group 1 winners this season alone. He previously stood at Windsor Park Stud in New Zealand.
High Chaparral is currently serving the northern hemisphere season at Coolmore in Ireland at a fee of €15,000.

We have a mare going to him this year should be interesting next few years as his book of mares is improving

i think it is easier to get a gr1 winner in southern hemisphere but high chaparral has nice horses in europe this year :)

Last edited:
High Chapparal went 1-2-3 in the Australian Derby with Shoot out beating Descarado and Monaco Consul in the blue riband. High Chapparal moves from Windsor Park Stud in New Zealand to Coolmore Australia for the 2010 southern hemipshere season

Good to hear the horse is doing so well.

So, guys, how are we doing on the getting the maresin foal front ?!?!

Got a text yesterday to say one of mine sif, thank heavens, but still two to go!!

Good to hear the horse is doing so well.

So, guys, how are we doing on the getting the maresin foal front ?!?!

Got a text yesterday to say one of mine sif, thank heavens, but still two to go!!

Fayruz mare in foal to Indian Haven. Feb foal hopefully. I try to cover all the basis, plenty don't believe in nicks but if you can factor it in, why not. The two lines have uncanny success together. He has 109 (minus casualties) 2yr olds this year although being such a big horse I suspect they'll be better at three. Ashram is still in training. Andy Oliver has one entered in the Irish 1000 too. He gets big strong foals and being her first time married I thought that was no harm. ...................and he wasn't expensive, but if Canford Cliffs wins the Guineas I'll have to give myself a serious scolding !!

Between me and my colleague we have 15 mares these mares are going to the following stallions Echo Of Ligth, Cape Cross, Holy Roman Emperor, Shamardal, Oasis Dream, Bush Ranger, Fastnet Rock, Captain Rio, Heliostatic,Oratorio, Mount Nelson. There are some other interesting coverings. People on here will not believe me about these coverings but you would never know who would be talking to on talking

In America we have 1 mare going to Mineshaft

CAPTAIN RIO put in another nice winner today and is turning out to be most useful. Are you using MAJESTIC MISSILE, DT? He seems to be one of Joe Foley's which is being well regarded - a colt of his just went at Goff's for £23,000 - not a bad start in a still shaky business, for a first-season sire. Or are you set on high-priced sires per se?

No were not just using high priced sires but there is such good value to be got on stallions that people think have a very high stud fee. Majestic Missile was a sound horse on the track but dont like anything to do with his breeding he is the only good runner from his dam who is fairly old. Covered alot of mares so far this horse but he will have to prove it quick and that is not something i can see happening as the mares he covered were not great

OCEANICO DOT COM sif to CAPTAIN RIO.
BARRANTES about to be covered by DIAMOND GREEN
SONGSHEET should have een covered by BAHAMIAN BOUNTY by now but to confirmed!

An impressive numer of mares, DT - do you keep them at home or at your partner's ? Or is that a giving anything away!!

We both keep them and there is one in america. There are some other people with us on these mares as well. I notice you went to BB i thought he was a bit over priced this year. Why didn't you consider Bush ranger i think he will be top class and coming from a lovely family. I know some of our coverings are expensive as well i think Oasis Dream is to expensive but we've used him every year he's been at stud with an alright success. It was taking a risk at the start the same thing happened to us with Pivotal we used him in his first season but never again

PIVOTAL started at about £4,000, if memory's right, and quickly shot through to a top of £85,000 after his first G1 winner - quite an outrageous bit of overpricing, and even now he's only retained at his 'reduced' price of £65,000. I tend to think that that's still far too much, although it does mean he presumably serves only 80 nice mares, rather than just any old thing with the lolly.

It was an obvious choice to go back to BB, because of FAREER - in the same way we have a full brother to MONSIEUR BOULANGER in paddock waiting for inspection to go to the St Leger sale. Thorman and I have limited funds, sadly, and while I would have loved SONGSHEET to visit one of the £20-£30K stallions on offer, we just can't afford it. Anything expensive would probably be a case of serious over-covering anyway!

Songy's done her fair share of supporting first season sires and, because we know she can get a reasonably decent winner, for us it makes sense to stick with a GB stallion for her, so we can at least pick up the odd breeder's prize. Wasn't important with the other two mares as they ain't proven yet and may never be.

Did a couple of first season PIVOTAL yearlings and they were good lookers who turned out to be racehorses.

That the joy of breeding, though - everyone has different opinions and aims and all you need is a lot of optimism and bottomless pockets!!

Back